recommendations on a $4k budget XC race mtb?

simonhaha

Likes Dirt
Hi guys,

What XC bike (race) would you get within a budget of maximum budget of 4000 (also hopefully flickable geometry, also)?

Are 650b worthy of XC race? Everyone seems to be riding hardtail 29ers, was thinking of getting a dualie 650b...

prodgeham

Likes Bikes
Giant XTC, use the extra cash for some top drawer wheels. Harsh rear end but if you want a race bike then it would be hard to go passed.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I dont race , but have ridden all shapes and styles of rigs.

29er XC hard tails are fast and stiff, am I'm presuming those in the know find this to be the more competitive package for shorter XC races.
Depending on the type of XC racing you intend on competing in (XCM vs shorter XC) then you might want something a little more body impact friendly and comfortable (Dually), but 29er seems to be the more suitable format.

I looked at picking up a more comfortable XCM type bike earlier this year, and had my eye sent on either a Trek Superfly FS or a Salsa Spearfish.
The new Trek Top Fuel 9 has now been released with an RRP of $4099 (but Trelk still offer a 15% discount off RRP to BUPA members)

ClintC

Likes Dirt
Need a few more details mate!

Height?
Cycling background?
Any brands you don't like?
Only mountain bike?
Where do you generally ride?
XCO or Marathon?

simonhaha

Likes Dirt
Height? Im about 175cm tall
Cycling background? I generally ride Trail/AM. Ive got 2 steel hardtails, one is a 26" 120travel other is a 650b 150mm. Those are the bikes i do everything on from climbing to smaahing through rock gardens.

Ive got a stanton switchback and an On One inbred. I like to ride something more "boutiqueish" i like to ride something different to most people. If that 4k budget allows.

I ride lysterfield almost every weekend which is where i want to train myself up for xc races. Every other month i head up today Youyangs for hardtail single speed days :D

XCO or Marathon?
Probably similar to XCO

Thanks for the suggestions of the lapierre bikes, one of them was a tad but but of my budget, but the right kind of specs id want to be riding. The other lappiere one was a tad low specced.

Im hoping to find something with rebas and a XT drivetrain maybe slx. Id alao like to keep dualies as an option since ive already got 2 hardtails. Prehaps maybe i should sell one of them, buy a hardtail xc bike and buy a dualie trail bike...

Suggestions appreciated, theres my background info. What would you do?

Thanks guys

ClintC

Likes Dirt
Height? Im about 175cm tall
Cycling background? I generally ride Trail/AM. Ive got 2 steel hardtails, one is a 26" 120travel other is a 650b 150mm. Those are the bikes i do everything on from climbing to smaahing through rock gardens.

Ive got a stanton switchback and an On One inbred. I like to ride something more "boutiqueish" i like to ride something different to most people. If that 4k budget allows.

I ride lysterfield almost every weekend which is where i want to train myself up for xc races. Every other month i head up today Youyangs for hardtail single speed days :D

XCO or Marathon?
Probably similar to XCO

Thanks for the suggestions of the lapierre bikes, one of them was a tad but but of my budget, but the right kind of specs id want to be riding. The other lappiere one was a tad low specced.

Im hoping to find something with rebas and a XT drivetrain maybe slx. Id alao like to keep dualies as an option since ive already got 2 hardtails. Prehaps maybe i should sell one of them, buy a hardtail xc bike and buy a dualie trail bike...

Suggestions appreciated, theres my background info. What would you do?

Thanks guys
I'd buy Boxer's bike. And with the leftovers find a nice wheel set for it. Like these

OR

Prehaps maybe i should sell one of them, buy a hardtail xc bike and buy a dualie trail bike..

JBR

Likes Dirt
You will build yourself a pretty kick-arse 29er (or 275) carbon hardtail for 4K if you buy a frame straight from the Chinese manufacturers...Its been a while since I had one so I'm out of the loop as to which are preferred these days, but some research will put you on the right track.

Would be easy to get it around the 10KG mark.

Food for thought.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Looks like a nice bike, prefer to be able to look at the bike before purchasing. Ill keep it as an open otion. Thanks
You could get a reputable shop/mech to take a look at it and give you a condition report. It'd be a shame to ignore something like that which will be awesome value / fit for purpose.

Get the seller to organise a shop/mech report if you are seriously interested.

simonhaha

Likes Dirt
You could get a reputable shop/mech to take a look at it and give you a condition report. It'd be a shame to ignore something like that which will be awesome value / fit for purpose.

Get the seller to organise a shop/mech report if you are seriously interested.
Ill keep it as an open option.

Can a 650 short travel dual sus be nealy as fast as a 29er asuming same skill and technique? Or would the 650 b be quite disadvantaged if it was a 4 hr race for example. Mix of 50/50 decent and downhill

simonhaha

Likes Dirt
I do like the way a 650b rides of the 29er but i dont want to be kicking myself later down the track that i shouldve got a 29er hardtail

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Can a 650 short travel dual sus be nealy as fast as a 29er asuming same skill and technique? Or would the 650 b be quite disadvantaged if it was a 4 hr race
Anything can be fast in the right hands. But for me, I'm not a fast or fit rider and use a 29er dually for plowing when I am tired - obviously I'm not aiming for podiums. What do you want in the bike? Maybe go for a $1.5k hard tail 29er and a $2.5k dually?

ClintC

Likes Dirt
I do like the way a 650b rides of the 29er but i dont want to be kicking myself later down the track that i shouldve got a 29er hardtail
I had a 9.5kg ready to ride 29er hardtail. I now ride a short travel 650b dual at around 11.5kg. Other than perhaps the smooth road climbs, i'm much faster on the dual 650b.

It's also a crap load more fun!

Ackland

chats d'élevage
For that $ you won't get a brand new build in anything boutique.

Plenty of value in a near new 2nd hand machine if you can shop around.

Boxer's tallboy is a great platform for XCO/XCM.

You could get a great deal on runout 2015 Giant or Trek bikes at the moment.

As far as your question and or search for a fast XC machine...
Are you looking to shave seconds by shaving grams or are you looking for a fun flickable bike that you'll be grinning so much while riding that you don't care whether you finished 10th or 12th in the local C grade race?