recommendations on a $4k budget XC race mtb?

Boxer

Likes Dirt
^ glad you said it Acko, cos for me to say it would have been conflict of interest ;)

But I hope you are right - FS 9.7SL at a minimum. Otherwise he has chosen a alloy frame over a highly reputable carbon one, and a RS SID RL entry fork over a Factory Fox :crazy:

I dont get it sometimes, but thats how it goes.

The new vs used argument. It's a tough one!

Personally If I was going new in that price range I would of bought a giant. Second hand tallboy was great.
Why? easy to get a condition check done

I am trying to find a new bike for the missus and wish I could find a used dually for her to get better bang for buck ($1500), but not finding much out there. (might end up setting up the Tallboy back to 2x or 3x for her, but its an expensive bike for a beginner)

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Fixed for you

Can't say that I don't think that you ignored a lot of good advice...
The Tallboy would have been lighter, faster and better looking....

Hope you at least nabbed the FS 9.7SL rather than the FS 9
Harsh?

He's in Melbourne, the second hand bike is in QLD - sorry, but you are taking a fucking huge risk buying interstate sight unseen bikes from people you don't know. It's enough of a risk buying from overseas with shipping without adding the second hand and no warranty bit.

The trek is a well regarded frame, if not quite as cool as a boutique, but cool doesn't make you faster and doesn't make you have more fun

simonhaha

Likes Dirt
Harsh?

He's in Melbourne, the second hand bike is in QLD - sorry, but you are taking a fucking huge risk buying interstate sight unseen bikes from people you don't know. It's enough of a risk buying from overseas with shipping without adding the second hand and no warranty bit.

The trek is a well regarded frame, if not quite as cool as a boutique, but cool doesn't make you faster and doesn't make you have more fun
Thank you Pharmaboy

I havent ignore advice, i have been open minded about which bike XC race bike i was going to get. Mind had been changed from going a 650b hardtail to a 29 dual sus.

I have taken everyones opinion into consideration and as it was a massive diffence to the type of bike i was going to get. Purchasing from a bike shop was much easier as there was warranty and service involved (which id value as i am not the greatest bike mechanic)

The superfly has been ordered and will arrive some time early next week. Although many would dream of having a santa cruz, choosing what was most convient, easy and asurance was what mattered most to me at the time.

simonhaha

Likes Dirt
If you can get Boxer down to $3200... bang some $800 Light Bicycle hoops on that Tallboy and you're away....

Not a snowballs getting more than a frame/fork Turner Czar for $4K

Thanks,
I would definately considered this option if the bike was local to me, i would at least check ot out and have a friend do a run through.

ClintC

Likes Dirt
Why? easy to get a condition check done
Re-read what I said. I'm agreeing with buying your bike, unless somebody really wants to buy new which is fair enough. I know people who have been burnt on second hand things before because they didn't get warranty regardless of the condition of the item when they bought it :). Can;t hold it against them.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
A good rapport with your seller and you can usually get them to help out with warranty issues...

I've done it before.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the Trek though I'm not 100% sure it was the best choice for the bike you were looking for.

You'll be struggling to get it into the realm of sub 11kg (what I would consider a race worthy dual 29er weight in 2015)

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
Looks like not much change in the Anthem Advanced 1 except a move to 11sp - I don't mind the new colour, but glad I got the 2015 one now.

Strange that no news sites seem to be reporting on specs of all these yet, at least not ones that have been indexed by Google yet.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Looks like not much change in the Anthem Advanced 1 except a move to 11sp - I don't mind the new colour, but glad I got the 2015 one now.

Strange that no news sites seem to be reporting on specs of all these yet, at least not ones that have been indexed by Google yet.
Might be a 2016 Anthem already running in Woolongong...

Unless this is a custom respray to match 2016 graphics

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Might be a 2016 Anthem already running in Woolongong...

Unless this is a custom respray to match 2016 graphics

That's an advanced - I'd say respray as all parts are custom and non giant. Also if giant, it would be advanced branded underneath anthem

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On the 2016 giant bike on MTBR there was a guy pointing out that the top tube is definitely different on the 29er in the pictures - again adding hope to a geo revision...

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I've only done a couple of the 24hr events here in Canberra, but an obvious and recurring theme was all the fast guys (i.e. all the guys I had to quickly let get past me) were on carbon 29er hard tails. I'm sure you'd be hurting a bit at the end of the race, but hells bells they were quick!

My fastest ever time by far around Stromlo was on a Spesh Epic Expert WC - 80mm travel each end and wagon wheels. Ridiculously quick bike, but not exactly forgiving on the rough stuff!!

Ivan

Eats Squid
I vote for a secondhand, late model Specialized epic. You can pick them up for >$2000, and with any money left over you ca drape them in lightweight bling. I may know one for sale ;)