Recovery for dummies

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I'm out spinning today.

The urge to push harder and faster is hard to resist.

Not sure if I'm doing it right but I coast then resume the same cadence for five minutes.

I've done 8.5km in 26 minutes.

Groin is sore, Aussie butt cream to the rescue !

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I'm out spinning today.

The urge to push harder and faster is hard to resist.

Not sure if I'm doing it right but I coast then resume the same cadence for five minutes.

I've done 8.5km in 26 minutes.

Groin is sore, Aussie butt cream to the rescue !
So far so good!

Focus on your technical skills I.e. weight placement, the way you use your body to guide the bike, focus on looking where you want you wheels to go.

Try to avoid trees.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Thanks for all the advice everyone.

A light 10km/45min spin yesterday felt good.

Woke up feeling ordinary this morning and contemplated skipping the ride I intended but noticed I was in the top50 for WA distance and the competitive juices started flowing and off I went. Only intended for it to be at recovery pace, which I stuck to for the first half, but coming home into the wind and wanting to beat some incoming weather ended up with me pushing harder and physically sick whilst riding so cut it short.

Anyway, off to get some magnesium and protein, and some fresh food to replace the crap I’ve eaten the last two days.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
None of this riding is the sort of stuff that you're going to need some specialized training regime, supplements etc etc etc.

Listen to your body. Try to ride everyday and ramp into it slowly. Vary what you ride based on how you feel on the bike. Get on your bike and start to ride. If you feel you need a recovery day then stick to the flats, cruise along and admire the scenery. If you feel full of beans then start smashing the hills. If you feel great and then mid-ride don't feel that great, back it off and cruise around a bit.

Try to make every pedal stroke enjoyable. That way you'll keep doing it. Also, expect it to take years to get a decent level of fitness up (unless your a teenager, in which case it will take a week tops).

TLDR: go for a slow recovery ride and admire the scenery.

CR500

Squid
Also, expect it to take years to get a decent level of fitness up (unless your a teenager, in which case it will take a week tops).
It will take years to get fit !!!!!!! Bugger. That means I will be in an old folks home by the time I get fit.