Red Centre Enduro Tyre Choice

Enduro Pulse

Likes Dirt
Can anyone offer some tyre choice tips for riding in Alice Springs? I'm heading over for the Red Centre Enduro next month and am finally making the switch to tubeless.

A kit has been bought to convert to tubeless however I'm lost on tyre choice for Alice. Any tips would be appreciated.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
I ran Crossmarks out there in 06, they were a popular choice and had no issues.

Would possibly consider something with a bigger bag and less tread if I went again...

Hugor

Likes Dirt
Its meant to be pretty hard on tyres. I ran ignitors (front) and larsen TT (rear) tubeless last year without any problems. The LBS in Alice Springs recommends continental mountain kings.

Last edited:

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
Thick ones!

My advice would be UST tyres, or something with similarly tough sidewalls.
In terms of tread, go smooth out the back, and something grippy on the front.
Maybe a WTB Vulpine on the back, and a Racing Ralph UST up front.

It is BLOODY hard on tyres. Rocks sharp as razors, and the bushes........well, just ask the chap who got his leg punctured by a twig last year!!!

Awesome race, cant wait to be going back!

Enduro Pulse

Likes Dirt
Well that answers that. I was about to pull the trigger on some continental mountain king non ust tyres. Will now make the step up and get the ust version for sure. Only problem is the price! over $90 each!

DaGonz

Eats Squid
of the two years I've done it, one was thorn city, the other wasn't... both I don't remember be sharp and rocky as was made out in either, just lots of sand. it certainly seemed some got a stupid amount of punctures while others got out scott free regardless of tyre setup.

I would say it would seem judging by the guys that tried it, the concept of putting slime in a tube and hoping it's going to be ok is fraught with failure...

I'd echo alchemists suggestion of a big bag and less tread though

*shrug*

HTH

Cheers
Spoonie

schacksta

Western Sydney MTB Club
I ran Conti Speed King 2.3 for the Simpson Desert Challenge last year. Nice light non UST tyre, set up on ZTR 355s with Stans. I had no flats for the entire race, and rode the last stage down on about 10psi (no shit).

When I came home and was servicing the bike, I found the inside of the tyres was literally a forest of thorns that had penetrated the tread, but nothing more serious than that. Ironically, I'd carried a spare tube with me for the entire race - woulda been useless with all those thorns in there.

Cheers,

Schacksta
www.wsmtb.com

DW-1

Dirt Works
I ran Conti Speed King 2.3 for the Simpson Desert Challenge last year. Nice light non UST tyre, set up on ZTR 355s with Stans. I had no flats for the entire race, and rode the last stage down on about 10psi (no shit).

When I came home and was servicing the bike, I found the inside of the tyres was literally a forest of thorns that had penetrated the tread, but nothing more serious than that. Ironically, I'd carried a spare tube with me for the entire race - woulda been useless with all those thorns in there.

Cheers,

Schacksta
www.wsmtb.com
My 2.2" Ravens looked the same inside. Full of thorn heads. No punctures.

Elvis.

shmung

Cannon Fodder
I would say it would seem judging by the guys that tried it, the concept of putting slime in a tube and hoping it's going to be ok is fraught with failure...
I was thinking of doing this race but am concerned about tyre choice as there seems to be some nightmare stories. I was intending to get something like Conti Mountain Kings Protection variety for harder sidewalls and run slime tubes.

But never having run slime tubes have no idea how good they are.

Seems like most responses are "Go tubeless" but I don't know if I want to be investing in that at this stage as I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to tubeless.

Are slime tubes that poor that what I was thinking is not a real option?