Reign SX - Update!

Andy.

Likes Bikes
Hey guys.

It's been a while since I've posted my bike, so I thought I'll post up a picture with some updates.

While it's still looking a little standard, I'm hoping to get some Crossmax Enduro/SX wheels, and some XT brakes in the future (finances permitting) and then the cockpit after the other stuff.

The "Chain protector" tape will also get an upgrade when I get round to getting some.

Specs:

Frame - Giant Reign SX (Medium)

Shock - Fox DHX RC2, (6.7")

Fork - Fox Van R Tapered(160mm) Now Van 180mm

Headset - FSA (generic tapered headset)

Stem - Truvativ Holzfeller

Bars - Giant Contact AM

Seat Post - Truvativ Hussefelt Now KS Lev

Saddle - Fi'zi:k Flash

Brakes - Avid Elixir 5

Shifter - Shimano Deore

R Derailleur - Shaminao SLX (9 speed)

Crankset - RaceFace Atlas FR (36T ring)

Chain guide - MRP G2

Rims - Sun EQ 31, 32h

Hubs:
Front - Giant Tracker

Rear - DT Swiss 350

2011:

2014:

Last edited:

Spotty

Likes Dirt
Awesome! Waiting for someone eho had this bike!

I don't understand why the sx isn't so popular? I reckon they look like a sweet mini freeride rig, just enough to have some fun on and the bike would suit most local aussie tracks pretty darn well. I'd definently get one if I had money! ;)

csrides

Likes Bikes
Would this be any good for freeride/some downhill? i am seriously considering getting it, a local shop near me has it for $2000

Andy.

Likes Bikes
Would this be any good for freeride/some downhill? i am seriously considering getting it, a local shop near me has it for $2000
I haven't actually ridden it officially at a DH track, but the way it handles where I've taken it so far feels really comfortable to me. I got mine for $2000 at my LBS because they were trying to get rid of it for 2012 stock, so I thought it was a great deal. I'll be taking it to a mountain bike park (You Yangs) on Monday and doing some DH on it, so I can provide a ride report afterwards if you would like?

csrides

Likes Bikes
I haven't actually ridden it officially at a DH track, but the way it handles where I've taken it so far feels really comfortable to me. I got mine for $2000 at my LBS because they were trying to get rid of it for 2012 stock, so I thought it was a great deal. I'll be taking it to a mountain bike park (You Yangs) on Monday and doing some DH on it, so I can provide a ride report afterwards if you would like?
A ride report would be great man! I would love to know how somebody else feels riding it on downhill tracks.

clockworked

Like an orange
I rode one when i was in whistler last year. Rode smooth trails, gnarly rooty trails and even some xc (by whistler's standards..) and liked it so much i brought it home.

its awesome and light for a downhill bike, and suitable for most of australian trails. Something super steep and rocky, or if you're racing it might be a little to lightly built, but as a play bike its awesome

nice choice, enjoy!

kieranr

Likes Bikes
Wow, $2000 for this? What a great looking bike off the shelf!! To build similiar spec would cost thousands.
I just checked out a reign X1 at a lbs in Sydney and they wanted $3200, they had an SX like the OP's for $2800 if I remember correctly. Anyone know of an X1 or SX in a 15" frame at those prices?
Again to the OP, great bike, I'm sure you will shred the trails on it!!

Andy.

Likes Bikes
Wow, $2000 for this? What a great looking bike off the shelf!! To build similiar spec would cost thousands.
I just checked out a reign X1 at a lbs in Sydney and they wanted $3200, they had an SX like the OP's for $2800 if I remember correctly. Anyone know of an X1 or SX in a 15" frame at those prices?
Again to the OP, great bike, I'm sure you will shred the trails on it!!
If you're looking for something good and cheap, I would highly recommend searching on Bike Exchange (www.bikeexchange.com.au). It's how me and my dad found this one. We were deciding between a 2012 Glory 2 (from memory) at $2500, or the SX. Not only was the SX cheaper, but it was more practical for all types of riding, (riding my previous ~19kg Norco Six everywhere makes the SX feel like a carbon bike :tongue: )

Thanks for the compliments and good luck with your search :)

Last edited:

jazza_wil

Likes Dirt
cool! i didnt see these on the giant aus website, but there on the canadian one. the reign x was one my list of wanted bikes but didnt think i could get one when i got home to aus. rocky slayer instead!