Replacing Gear Shifter

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I see moorey has put you on track already, that local bike shop obviously doesn't want the business! That pair only line is BS and their price is outrageous.

The H

Likes Dirt
Cheers mate.
How did you go Moorey. I was doing parts clean out on weekend.

I found XT long cage 9speed Rder and shifter. Front shifter must have been used on something, hardly used. Just missing a barrel adjuster.

Also for you Moorey, i have XTR 9 speed, derailuers and shifters.

Let me know was going to post them up on facey, but can add some pics/details/$ before I do it if you guys still on the look out.

Gripo

Eats Squid
Close (DH) and wide (FR) range. One is 28t max other is 36t max (in theory). Gripo specified the FR model. It's not longer, it's just configured differently. Saint used to, maybe still do, have a little widget deally you can add or remove to change range. On zee, you buy one or the other.

edit...mode converter, they were (are?). https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-sp...0-mode-converter-bolt-unit-y5wn98080/?geoc=AU
so moorey, which 10spd (with clutch) Shimano derailleur will shift to a 42t rear cassette...

want to put a Sunrace 11-42t 10spd on the loaner bike....

moorey

call me Mia
so moorey, which 10spd (with clutch) Shimano derailleur will shift to a 42t rear cassette...

want to put a Sunrace 11-42t 10spd on the loaner bike....
For me, middy with RAD cage or goat link. Running one of each.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
pics for both
I'm donating daz an xt 10sp long cage xt, and an 11-36 cassette...and loaning a zee shifter from wife's bike till he finds one. Are you splitting the XTR 9sp mech? I have a shifter I'm holding for daughters build, wanting a high end 9sp shimmy mech.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Maybe they did two styles of 9 speed - these are the versions I remember (and owned):

Edit: Well there you go - there are two versions, as per Google. Never knew.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
would a FR Zee work with a Goat Link on a 42t you think?
Can't tell you that. What I can tell you is that a 30 second goat link installation is a lot easier than (in my case) a fiddly 60 minute RAD cage adaptation, and felt no difference in function.... plus a lot cheaper.

Edit. Plenty on the googles. About the 15th post down, someone says it's fine with 40, but struggled with 42. It's just one opinion, and opinions differ. I'd definitely give it a crack, mate.

Last edited: