Return of a legend. GT Zaskar Re-Issue

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's close to finished, the re-issue GT Zaskar. I could have put her with my others but I thought this one deserves it's own thread.

I've put it together with a few bits and pieces, it isn't quite the way I would like it yet. There's plenty of weight to lose but I was looking more towards durability, even still it's just under 11kgs.

So far,

Frame- 2007 20th Anniversary GT Zaskar re-issue, number 79 of 500, 20"
Fork- Fox F100 RLC
Crankset- XT M771
Cassette- XT
Rear Derailleur- Sram X9
Front Derailleur- XTR
Shifters- Sram X.0 Grip Shift
Brakes- Avid Juicy Ultimate
Wheels- A2Z Hubs, Dirt Bag rims
Saddle- SDG Bel Air Ti
Stem- Element Neon Q
Bars- Answer ProTaper Carbon
Pedals- Time ATAC XS
Tyres- Hutchinson Python
Seatpost- GT
Skewers- A2Z Ti
Chain- Connex 908

I'm taking her out tomorrow for a maiden ride, I can't wait.
I'll take some better pics too, I've seriously just finished putting this together so the light outside isn't great.;)

**EDIT** More pics further down, post #15 & #22.

The shopping list for parts includes;

Kenda Karma tyres, 2.0 because the tyre clearance is rubbish.
Thomson Elite seatpost
Lock on grips

There's plenty of other stuff but my budget is now non existent.

Attachments

Last edited:

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Twist shifters...eww

Apart from that, very, very mint.
I would have gone for another set of X.0 triggers but the grip shifters are just that much better in practice.
I'll get some better pics up asap, she's so pretty.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just raw ball burnished and polished alloy. It's easier to clean up, I'm in the process of reviving a 17year old Zaskar and it's coming up really well.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow.

I really deserve a bike like that.
Everyone does, but there are precious few of them. Being a GT fanboy I just had to have one. I have no idea if there are any left anywhere, they weren't officially brought into Australia but I know of two other 'burners that have one.

'Ross

Eats Squid
Lorday it seems more and more people are telling you to shut up every time you post. I too am joining this brigade.

Shut up.

Nice ride fatman.

Smacks

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Uncle china just doesn't understand you, do they/? Dam communist

'Ross: maybe we can leave the stfu lorday shit outta this thread/?
If you leave the Lorday out of a thread, I think you'll find posters will be far more willing to leave the stfu lorday shit out of a thread.

Edit: Hawt ride, fatman. Lovely and old-school at first glance, then bling as when you look closer!

edo1

Likes Bikes
Everyone does, but there are precious few of them. Being a GT fanboy I just had to have one. I have no idea if there are any left anywhere, they weren't officially brought into Australia but I know of two other 'burners that have one.
Hey Fatman, I have also recently finished a 20th Anniversary build up...unsurprisingly mine is a bit different to yours. I wanted to go all retro...which meant using brands that existed in the day (20 years ago) & a set of Marzocchi retro forks which work really nicely to be honest. Ive also gone all XT drivetrain, Juicy 5s with Kore & Easton stuff.

I guess I better start my own thread. :)

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ahh, the halcyon Old Skool™ days of GT.
I went the LTS route about the time when Zaskars reached 'legend' status - also went ball burnished.
Contemplated a matching Zaskar, but finally coughed up the dough for my first Intense instead.

[rant]
While we're getting Old Skool™...
'Mint' means 'perfect condition', as in 'like new'. It comes from the term relating to minting, of coins, for example.
'Raw' is a stupid modern term for what's just unpainted metal. I hate that one - you don't 'raw' a frame, you strip it.
These frames are ball burnished (a process where the frame is shaken in a container of small ball bearings that close the pitted aluminum surface up, resulting in a polished look, but longer lasting).
I wish kids would learn stuff these days. Just seems OK now to bathe in ignorance and 'google' something if you're ever asked.
[/rant]

Last edited:

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the comments guys.
I considered a full retro build but I would be too scared of breaking something, besides I have a 92 model LE for that. I'm finding it difficult to find purple anno stuff at the moment, gold will have to suffice.

I took her out for about four hours this morning and I'm impressed, it handles beautifully, climbs and descends well and it also feels quite lively. As a matter of fact it's just about the antithesis of its owner.:p

Some pics from today. I apologise for the quality, they were taken with my phone.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is it the same geo as the new or old (ie the ones it 'replicing') zaskar?
I believe, if I recall what I read correctly, it's different geo, reworked to suit current 4-5" suspension forks, seat angle adjusted accordingly.
The other difference I recall is the rear disc brake mount (the original Zaskar was pre-discs). Still Alcoa aluminium, thought I don't recall the designation.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is it the same geo as the new or old (ie the ones it 'replicing') zaskar?
It has changed a bit, to make it a bit more contemporary. It can now take a 100mm fork and disk brakes, it also has a 71 degree HA and 73 degree SA. The tubing is similar, 6061 Alcoa. Handling wise it is similar to the older ones, quick but not twitchy, stiff but not harsh. Climbing very steep stuff is a little ponderous but that's down to the short stem I have on it, easily fixed.

If they really wanted it to be like the old one they would have stamped the serial number and size on the dropout and have the gusset under the top tube.

Last edited:

jackson5

Likes Bikes
Ahh, the halcyon Old Skool™ days of GT.
I went the LTS route about the time when Zaskars reached 'legend' status - also went ball burnished.
Contemplated a matching Zaskar, but finally coughed up the dough for my first Intense instead.

[rant]
While we're getting Old Skool™...
'Mint' means 'perfect condition', as in 'like new'. It comes from the term relating to minting, of coins, for example.
'Raw' is a stupid modern term for what's just unpainted metal. I hate that one - you don't 'raw' a frame, you strip it.
These frames are ball burnished (a process where the frame is shaken in a container of small ball bearings that close the pitted aluminum surface up, resulting in a polished look, but longer lasting).
I wish kids would learn stuff these days. Just seems OK now to bathe in ignorance and 'google' something if you're ever asked.
[/rant]
Kind of reminds me of forks as in "check out me new forks mate! got a new pair of 2010 boxxers! Sick eh!" Every time Rotorburn is mentioned on other forums, The opening post is usually about how ridiculously poor everyone's english and grammar is. Like you said, ignorance rules these days, no-one needs to learn anything because the computer will fix all their mistakes/rant over. The Zaskar reissue was made by SAPA profiles in portland Oregon, the same shop that fabricates V10s and Turners from plain Alcoa 6061 tubing.

Last edited:

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
According to the Certificate of Authenticity this frame was-

Made by SAPA Profiles Inc. Portland Oregon, welded by Yuriy Rybaluin on 13/09/07 from Primary 6061 tubing and 5356 Rods. Heat treatment batch 22905 and had a finished hardness of what looks like either 16 or 110 (the handwriting on the sheet is pretty ordinary). The frame was completed on 19/09/07.

Even without all the BS of having certificates and such I would have bought one of these anyway, the geometry and sizing fits me perfectly. Still, for the price tag the finish could have been a bit better. It is a bit of a contradiction trying to re-issue an old design claiming it is like the old ones only to change parts of it around.
Despite all that I'm a big GT fan and had to have one, it rides well and makes me want to get out and ride more. That in itself counts for a lot.