Return of a legend. GT Zaskar Re-Issue

jackson5

Likes Bikes
That's awesome, having the certificate won't change the way it rides but that sort of thing sure makes you feel good! The surface hardness will say T6, 6000 series aluminum alloys need post weld heat treatment to restore the strength lost from the heat build up during welding. The bike looks sensational!

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just for comparison, the 92 Zaskar LE and the Re-issue back to back. The 92 model is an 18" and the new one is a 20". I'll get out my 01 Zaskar Team and get all three together soon.

Attachments

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Definitely not better in practice!
Fine, I'll bite. This has no doubt been discussed numerous times on this site but I'll explain why.

For its intended use as a cross country bike the X.O grip shifters offer lighter weight, instant shifting, ability to dump the whole 9 gears in a twist if required, front derailleur trim and I also happen to like the noise when you change gears. I probably wouldn't use them on my freeride or downhill bike because for the intended purpose these are better in practice. I have x.9 triggers on my other xc bike and will be changing them to grip shift when I have the spare cash.

kv1973

Likes Dirt
Currently being in love with all things Ti - this bike does remind me of the GT Xizang Titanium. Also being a GT fan will have to add this to my collection and would definitely be a retro build. Anyone have one here?

y33dave

Cannon Fodder
Ahhhh....

finally got her built up!

2008 GT Zaskar RE-Issue Frame
2009 Rock Shox Reba Team + Cane Creek IS 110
2009 Avid Elixir CR
2008 FSA Team Carbon Crank w/ 2009 Chris King BB
SRAM X.0 Grip Shift and Rear Derailleur
SRAM X.9 Front Derailleur
Panracer Smoke and Dart Tires
Sette Stem
Sette OS Bars + Eastern White Skull Grips
Maverick Speedball Seatpost (remote)
SOMA Kamisori Saddle

I cannot wait!

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Awww... Just lost it then!
Awesome. Awesome.
Seat looks a little too far back (rail death) but the build looks fantastic.
I want those wheels, brakes and fork now!

Last edited:

chrischad

Cannon Fodder
It looks like the seat is far back, but Dave is a big tall guy, and he needs all the reach he can get even on an XL...
Looks great man! Can't wait to go riding with you on the nice new clean rig!
Just remember, before you take it out for the first time, set it on either side on the ground and upside down... get the built up new "paint ground magnetism" discharged!

y33dave

Cannon Fodder
yah. it's actually set right at the very farthest 'safest' setting.

I'm going to play with the bars and maybe get a 120mm stem and move the seat ever so slighty forward.

But for now - it's pretty comfortable! I'm sure minor adjustments will be made after the innaugural ride...

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
But for now - it's pretty comfortable! I'm sure minor adjustments will be made after the innaugural ride...
Looks the shit mate, be careful of the innaugural ride as you might not want to get off it. I've been riding mine pretty much all the time and the other bikes don't get a look in, so much for sparing usage.