Riders' mantrap near miss

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sad to see people doing things like that.

We had someone put a log at head height after a blind corner at our local downhill track, wedged inbetween some trees.

It was lucky a mate walked downa and saw it before we rode.

adman

Likes Dirt
I swear something has got to get sorted out with the mountain... nobody is really willing to try and sort out some sort of agreement with Parks and Wildlife... and yes there have been petitions and facebook groups, but something needs to be more direct. What the means, I'm not sure.

I mean, this COULD escalate to walkers and residents entrenched with machine guns at the side of the track... really... it could....

But not really. But seriously... it could.

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I swear something has got to get sorted out with the mountain... nobody is really willing to try and sort out some sort of agreement with Parks and Wildlife... and yes there have been petitions and facebook groups, but something needs to be more direct. What the means, I'm not sure.
Get a bunch of sensible riders together, or even organise a mtb club to come out and have a meeting with parks or who ever the land managers are. Lay out what both parties want from the area and develop a plan from their.

Might be surprised at how willing they are, we've had great success, and ill admit failure with parks vic.

adman

Likes Dirt
There have been numerous attempts. They attempted to solve the "downhillers terrorising walkers" issue, with a smooth up and down all mountain trail.. which is still shared use anyway! Granted, it is well built, but downhillers don't use it at all, and the park have spent all their budget building this track...

There are things happening, but sometime this happens and walkers/other people take matters into their own hands.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Yeah, but they charged him with creating a common nuisance, he'll get a $50 fine and be back on the hill next week. I put this in the same category as throwing rocks off highway overpasses. Given he did actually injure someone it should be assault charges as a minimum.
Absolutely. If you went out and caught a wallabie in a barbed wire booby trap you'd be all over the news and have the book thrown at you, do it to a person and it's being a 'nuisance'? Maybe someone should be a 'nuisance' and insert that barbed wire into his arse via a piece of pvc pipe, i'd gladly cop a small fine for delivering that message to the prick and watching him try to remove it (you pull the pipe back out after insertion in this nasty little mess)