Riding Rotorua NZ area what you reckon??

spiderpig

Likes Dirt
Read the AMB article on their Rotorua trip they did and ever since reading ive been trying to think of the fastest way i can get my (and the missus or i'll be shot) arse over there for a week and do some riding.

Sounds like alot of riding for everyone/skill levels + some other cool stuff to do like rafting, bunjy etc. Anyone been there and got some ideas/experiences to share? Many trail maps of the areas around or best to hook up with some locals?

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Read the AMB article on their Rotorua trip they did and ever since reading ive been trying to think of the fastest way i can get my (and the missus or i'll be shot) arse over there for a week and do some riding.

Sounds like alot of riding for everyone/skill levels + some other cool stuff to do like rafting, bunjy etc. Anyone been there and got some ideas/experiences to share? Many trail maps of the areas around or best to hook up with some locals?
Rotorua is just brilliant with endless trails that you will end up finding your favourites and want to repeat. It has the full range from fast yet not technical to steep nasty scary stuff (well for crappy me) to climbing if you want.

The place is so well set up and has such good maps (can buy at a bike shop there or vistor centre) and is full of people that its very easy to find your way around. Heaps of bike shops in town for bits and pieces too. Worth heading to Taupo as well and the bike shops or locals will all point you in the right direction for that area as well.

I've only ever had single days to spend there, the idea of a week would be a dream come true.

Website to look at is http://www.riderotorua.com/

spiderpig

Likes Dirt
I'm guessing Rotorua would be a much cheaper alternative to Whistler?
Yeah for sure... save quite alot in the flights getting there. Whistler is something i want to do one day but the rotorua area seems awesome and alot more likely for me to get to.

oldbean

NSWMTB
Do it!

Riding Rotorua is awesome. As the others have said, locals are friendly and you can buy a trail map from the bike shops in town. I was over there for a holiday with my wife and had one day in Taupo and one day in Rotorua at the end of December and it was the best days riding I've had!

Did the W2K track at Taupo and most of the trails in Craters of the Moon all in one day. They were all great, and there's plenty of other stuff to do in Taupo like jet boating, kayaking on the lake etc.

Then there is Rotorua! Many more trails and more variety. I only had one day there, and would've liked a few more. I had a trail map and was finding my own way, then hooked up with a local at one point. We were of the same ability and he was really cool and let me tag along while he showed me his pick of the trails. Tried to cram in as much as possible in that one day and had a ball and was exhausted by the end of the day!

I had no mechanicals at all, but the local bike shops looked very well equipped to look after you, but I made sure I took things specific to my bike, like a derailleur hanger. I took my hardtail 29r with me from here, and it was perfect for almost all of the riding there as most of it is quite smooth singletrack. A 5" travel or so trail bike would also be great. We flew Virgin Blue to get there and Air New Zealand back and didn't pay any excess baggage, but we only checked in 2 bags, my bike in a box and a suitcase. Don't forget you can't take CO2 cartridges with you on the plane. As we were there for 10 days total and traveling around, we had a hire car. But if you are staying just in Rotorua you might be able to get away without one, as you can ride to the trails easily from town. If you want to get down to Taupo it might be a bit harder though. My wife doesn't ride, but while I was off MTBing she enjoyed a day spa and then a walk in the Redwood forest, so we were all happy! Oh, make sure you have a go of the tobogans too!

Can't think of much else right now, but the AMB article was pretty spot on.

Have fun!

Last edited:

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do it!

Riding Rotorua is awesome. As the others have said, locals are friendly and you can buy a trail map from the bike shops in town. I was over there for a holiday with my wife and had one day in Taupo and one day in Rotorua at the end of December and it was the best days riding I've had!

Did the W2K track at Taupo and most of the trails in Craters of the Moon all in one day. They were all great, and there's plenty of other stuff to do in Taupo like jet boating, kayaking on the lake etc.

Then there is Rotorua! Many more trails and more variety. I only had one day there, and would've liked a few more. I had a trail map and was finding my own way, then hooked up with a local at one point. We were of the same ability and he was really cool and let me tag along while he showed me his pick of the trails. Tried to cram in as much as possible in that one day and had a ball and was exhausted by the end of the day!

I had no mechanicals at all, but the local bike shops looked very well equipped to look after you, but I made sure I took things specific to my bike, like a derailleur hanger. I took my hardtail 29r with me from here, and it was perfect for almost all of the riding there as most of it is quite smooth singletrack. A 5" travel or so trail bike would also be great. We flew Virgin Blue to get there and Air New Zealand back and didn't pay any excess baggage, but we only checked in 2 bags, my bike in a box and a suitcase. Don't forget you can't take CO2 cartridges with you on the plane. As we were there for 10 days total and traveling around, we had a hire car. But if you are staying just in Rotorua you might be able to get away without one, as you can ride to the trails easily from town. If you want to get down to Taupo it might be a bit harder though. My wife doesn't ride, but while I was off MTBing she enjoyed a day spa and then a walk in the Redwood forest, so we were all happy! Oh, make sure you have a go of the tobogans too!

Can't think of much else right now, but the AMB article was pretty spot on.

Have fun!
Ahhhhhh!!!

I hate you :)

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rotorua has been the best network of trails I have ever ridden.

Hit up 'Bike Vegas' in the town centre who hire out all kinds of bikes... I got a GT Dhi for the day :p

The jump track... wow! 80 medium to large tables and doubles all connected by huge sweeping berms. So much fun!

its pretty cheap too for a whole day.

Also don't make the same mistake as me... make sure you stick to the jump track first time down rather than turning onto the national DH track... shit was crazy.

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
Go to Rotorua... ride up a hill for a while... hit this trail...

lather, rinse, repeat....

f*cking awesome track, all the trails in rotorua were so f*cking awesome ..... Rotorua was - in general - a mountain biking paradise.... and on a saturday, spanky was just mind f*cked at the number of people riding round, and there are so many trails... you hardly see anyone actually on the trails...

s

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah I went over there with my missus for our honeymoon!

Whakarewarewa is the place, it is heaven on earth. She rode it an loved it, we found many trails that we just couldn't get enough of. You don't need to hunt down locals, it's very organised. Bike Vegas has a map, I think it was about $10. They even have a shuttle bus up the middle of the park most days.

I'm sure there are other trails around, but we spent all our 3 days riding and didn't see anything else in Rotarua! It's seriously that good.

The locals are really friendly as well. Get chatting with them and they'll tell you which tracks to check out. The park usually has a heap of riders in it.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
One other thing to note... if you are taking your own bikes over make sure they are very clean before you go and declare that you have sports equipment before you go through customs. Declare your shoes as well and any other possibly dirty riding gear. My mate nearly got a $200 or so fine because of failing to do this on his shoes.

Also downplay the value of your bike at customs as they may want to put duty on it (which you can get back leaving the country).

Cypher

Likes Dirt
Sounds sweet, 5 inch travel bike enough?
More than plenty. It's not really rough, but there are jumps occasionally.

Actually it is so ultra smooth you could get away with a hardtail (which would be good if your partner veto's the shuttle bus to the top and makes you ride).

I second Gunna Gotta. So good.

So jealous right now.

oldbean

NSWMTB
Sounds sweet, 5 inch travel bike enough?
Easily.

There are track's like National Downhill (that I didn't ride but heard it's pretty rough) that obviously a DH bike is best and some tracks were pretty rough in spots on my hardtail, but a 5" bike would be sweet. Quite a few of the tracks I rode, in both Rotorua and Taupo, were quite smooth and a hardtail was perfect. There was only a very few times where I wished I had some rear suspension.

There are certainly guys riding there on 6"+ bikes, but they are mainly riding the shuttle and just hitting the DH trails. A 5", or a lot of modern 6" bikes, are that bit more versatile and allow you to explore a bigger variety of the trails.

Man, I wish I was back there right now! I have to stop reading this thread...

Cronar

Likes Dirt
Is Rotorua o DH destination with chair lifts .
No, no chairlifts but they run a shuttle on weekend on weekends that accesses some great DH trails, but it's more of a trail riding destination. If you're after DH head to Queenstown.

GUNNA GOTTA is good (really good), but c'mon people, SPLIT ENZ has to be the best bit of trail on the planet!

Here's my Rotorua video from last year, it should give you a good idea on the type of riding you'll encounter over there (it will also show you how to spill a whole jug of margarita and how to hit a tuna can off a gravity-dropper seatpost)

[video=vimeo;8068374]http://vimeo.com/8068374[/video]

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
I can't remember gunna gotta. I loved split endz though. I had a mad time on a specialized sx, less bike is fine too. Can't wait to get back there. Whats the best time to go?

choiboi

Likes Dirt
I just returned from riding Rotorua. WOW nothing like I've seen in australia. Litterally 100km+ of singetracks. Mostly one-way, well maintained and just lovely.

We rented our bikes from Bike Vegas, I had a GT Force and my partner had a Norco Fluid LT. They also had intense and pivots for rent, bu twe missed out. Bike rentals were $100 for duallies and $70 for hardtail (Haro Mary 29r).

Kizzmtbr

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How much altitude to the trails have?as in are the tracks rideable during winter or are then snowed over?

doin

Likes Bikes
How much altitude to the trails have?as in are the tracks rideable during winter or are then snowed over?
No snow in winter, trails are rideable year-round. The area actually drains pretty well in wet weather, especially trails in Taupo at Craters of the Moon - I've ridden there in pissing rain and the trails were almost dry! Rotorua will still have some boggy sections after rain.

Not sure on the exact elevation available to ride but I think it's around 400m. I'd definitely recommend having some runs on the shuttle bus, it's not just for downhillers. The bus gives you access to some really good downhill singletrack, to ride up to those trails takes a fair amount of time and effort!

I was there a few weeks ago, as usual it was awesome, although Split Enz was closed due to logging nearby. I stayed in town and didn't hire a car, it only took me about 10-15 mins to ride to the MTB carpark. If you want to go to Taupo you'll need a car though. My flights direct from Sydney to Rotorua return were $370, not too bad.

It's definitely worth the trip, I plan to keep going back every year

Ivan

Eats Squid
Gunna Gotta is pretty good, and there are some trails you can link onto heading back to the car park which I have forgotten the names of ( I think one was rock drop) that were awesome. I think Rockdrop went something like - berm, drop, berm drop, berm, drop etc.:cool: