Riding Tracks?? (After Storms)

chadly1084

Likes Bikes
Just wondering if anyone has a heads up on the state of the riding areas after the storms in Newcastle and the central coast. I would figure that some of them may be littered with fallen trees etc?? where is still ok to ride???

BLAKE-2234

Likes Bikes and Dirt
they would be ok to ride just be careful of fallen stuf and maybe rebuild the track if its stuffed?

cheers blake

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd say give it a week no matter what until the trails dry out. Then give it a week to do maintenance on the trails. And then go ride for your life!

I know for Glenrock, most of us are staying right away from it for a few weeks until it can dry up, and then hopefully some of the few hundred tree's that have fallen down, NPWS can get in and get them chopped up and moved to the side.

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
I'd ask people stay out of Glenrock and Killi for a few weeks, 300mm of rain is going to have done a bit of damage and the trails will be wet. What we don't need is people stuffing things more.

There will still be the risk of falling trees/branches just waiting to come down, in addition to those already down.

We still need to check killi, but I think the access in will be stuffed, and the bridges on the trails will most likely need repair.

Glenrock as has been noted, is Closed until further notice. Please respect the NPWS wishes at this point as it is for the best.

Up to 50mm of rain is forecast this weekend, along with wind, so I think it would be best to just stay away for the short term.

chadly1084

Likes Bikes
Hrrmm.... all sounds like bad news think i might take to the surf this weekend although getting sick from all pollution that has floated out of the hunter River may be just as likely as getting hit by a tree on my bike.

chadly1084

Likes Bikes
Unfortunately More storms bad storms are being predicted however, this time it will be the whole east coast. Should they come about lets keep people informed of the troubled areas. Mountain biking is dangerous enough with out trees falling on you....and having to contend with sections of the tracks that have been washed away..

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mountain biking is dangerous enough with out trees falling on you....and having to contend with sections of the tracks that have been washed away..
Which is exactly why you SHOULDN'T ride after it's been raining! Which included all of last week!

m_g

Likes Dirt
they would be ok to ride just be careful of fallen stuf and maybe rebuild the track if its stuffed?

cheers blake
no, not ok...wait until the track dries out before you ride it, otherwise it'll be a muddy,rutty mess for months...

DH_justo_DH

Likes Bikes
I'd say give it a week no matter what until the trails dry out. Then give it a week to do maintenance on the trails. And then go ride for your life!

I know for Glenrock, most of us are staying right away from it for a few weeks until it can dry up, and then hopefully some of the few hundred tree's that have fallen down, NPWS can get in and get them chopped up and moved to the side.
just a quick one, national parks couldnt give a stuff about the mtb trails in Glenrock. I was there last weekend, (during the only sunshine we had) to check the place out after NPWS had been through. They've choped up the trees on Gun Club rd, and left the ones that are blocking the trails as they were. Don't put all your belief in NPWS.

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
just a quick one, national parks couldnt give a stuff about the mtb trails in Glenrock. I was there last weekend, (during the only sunshine we had) to check the place out after NPWS had been through. They've choped up the trees on Gun Club rd, and left the ones that are blocking the trails as they were. Don't put all your belief in NPWS.
The NPWS haven't finished going through.

But, the important thing to remember is that none of the trails in there are actuaslly designated as trails under the current POM. They could be closed at any time if the NPWS were so inclined.

As has previously been stated, the park is closed at the moment, I'd advise staying out for a few major reasons.

The Draft POM is being written at the moment, the Consultative committee has had its input, but we are now awaiting the document that will go on public consultation. Riding in the park, while the park is closed, is not going to make us as a group look real good, and if we can't observe something simple like a park closure, why should they take us seriously.

The park is closed for a reason.

Yes not all trails will be cleared by the NPWS, we will have to live with that and move on, but once the new POM comes out, any trails designated as mtb trails (and they will be in their) will be subject to regular maintenance as is any other designated trail or management road in the park at the moment.

I invite anyone who wants any more info on the park, the current state of the new POM or the trail conditions to come over to the Glenrock Trail Alliance Website and have a bit of a read or ask questions.

Regardless of what you may think of the NPWS and their management regime, now is probably one of the most important times ever to tow the line.

I don't want to sound like I am telling people what to do, but there is progress being made into the provision of dedicated trails in the reserve, and I'd hate to see it thrown away over some riding when its not appropriate to do so.

chadly1084

Likes Bikes
Quarry

Road the quarry down Swansea today lots of fallen trees up top, jumps and drops down bottom are still ok.

One young kid did big drop into the quarry, was sweet to watch. :eek: