Riding within a couple of hours of Newcastle?

stirk

Burner
Thanks for all the awesome info guys... I've got to drop down to Penrith tomorrow, using the heatmap I found Knapsack so I'll hit that and I found some vids of Hornsby which looks sweeeeeeet so I think I'll hit that on the way home... big day coming!
Knapsack is one of my local go to places, techy labyrinth of a place with a bit for everyone. Did you find the big wall of steps down to the big couple of jumps on the north side? You can spend a while just mucking about on that and climbing it is fun too, have not made it the whole way without a foot going down.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Knapsack is one of my local go to places, techy labyrinth of a place with a bit for everyone. Did you find the big wall of steps down to the big couple of jumps on the north side? You can spend a while just mucking about on that and climbing it is fun too, have not made it the whole way without a foot going down.
I was there on Saturday looking for you too :) There is a ride every Thursday at 3pm-ish starting from the end of Levy Street too, allegedly.
Knapsack is fun but you have to pedal it. If you get lost, like I do there, then the main trail that bisects Knapsack will take you back to civilisation, well Glenbrook.

If you like Knapsack then Camden River and the Hazelbrook ST should be on your list also.

stirk

Burner
I was there on Saturday looking for you too :) There is a ride every Thursday at 3pm-ish starting from the end of Levy Street too, allegedly.
Knapsack is fun but you have to pedal it. If you get lost, like I do there, then the main trail that bisects Knapsack will take you back to civilisation, well Glenbrook.

If you like Knapsack then Camden River and the Hazelbrook ST should be on your list also.
Hazo is fun and I love the switchback challenge but you can get seriously lost there compared to Knapsack. GPS maps will save you!

Will have to venture to Camden and then onto Glenrock!

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Hazo is fun and I love the switchback challenge but you can get seriously lost there compared to Knapsack. GPS maps will save you!
There is nothing to save me there apart from knowing that the sun goes towards the west so ride that way till you see a house :)

Will have to venture to Camden and then onto Glenrock!
Here you go from the comfort of your lounge chair. This one gives you a good enough summary and also how quick surprise bits that can make you lose skin sneak up on you there.

I ended up bailing on Knapsack, I spent the night before watching a bunch of vids and decided it was a little gnarly for me so I went to Hornsby instead... that was a good call, I ended up having so much fun that I stayed the Saturday night and rode it again on Sunday morning :D Well-groomed trails are more my speed at the moment, so places like Hornsby are perfect... and with the runs not being too long I could session them for hours, by the end of the two rides I got to know the two main runs I was hitting well enough that I could charge them a bit harder, it was sick :D

View attachment 356171

The map updates are a little slow out here.
Hmmm I spend about three or four hours a day on Google Maps so this coupled with the info in your 'clean fill wanted' thread could be enough to find it :)

Here you go from the comfort of your lounge chair. This one gives you a good enough summary and also how quick surprise bits that can make you lose skin sneak up on you there.
I might be mistaken but I think I read something recently about Camden being closed... something about a major crash out there last year and the landowner withdrawing permission to ride there? Or has that changed since then?

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I ended up bailing on Knapsack, I spent the night before watching a bunch of vids and decided it was a little gnarly for me so I went to Hornsby instead... that was a good call, I ended up having so much fun that I stayed the Saturday night and rode it again on Sunday morning :D Well-groomed trails are more my speed at the moment, so places like Hornsby are perfect... and with the runs not being too long I could session them for hours, by the end of the two rides I got to know the two main runs I was hitting well enough that I could charge them a bit harder, it was sick :D

Hmmm I spend about three or four hours a day on Google Maps so this coupled with the info in your 'clean fill wanted' thread could be enough to find it :)
Or you could just ask, Burners are always welcome to drop by.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Well-groomed trails are more my speed at the moment, so places like Hornsby are perfect... and with the runs not being too long I could session them for hours, by the end of the two rides I got to know the two main runs I was hitting well enough that I could charge them a bit harder, it was sick :D
I haven't done Hornsby or Westleigh - anyone up for any of these this weekend?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I might be mistaken but I think I read something recently about Camden being closed... something about a major crash out there last year and the landowner withdrawing permission to ride there? Or has that changed since then?
I did hear the same and I wan't keen on doing anything sneaky. Hell, I don't even ride of rain soaked trails :)

One of the locals mentioned that the trail crosses three landowners properties who officially have withdrawn permission but seem to quietly let it slide. There were plenty of punters there and seeing how you could mess yourself pretty quickly then I see where that point of view is coming from.