road bike build - from scratch

tmarsh

Likes Dirt
Thanks tmarsh, more questions ...

Why are some seat stays set a position below the top tube, that is attached to the seat tube at a point much lower than where the top tube and seat tube meet?

What is so important about the point at which the seat stays attach to the seat tube?
It would that the angle of the seat stays is important ...
The exact angle of the seatstays isn't particularly important. It *might* come into play on a really small frame with a sloping top tube in order to avoid heel strike, but you'd probably look to solve that problem by using s-bend seat stays.

As far as steel bikes are concerned, seatstays that attach at, or close to, the seat cluster are to be preferred. One reason for this is that butted seat tubes might drop down to a much thinner middle section pretty quickly, and if you attach the seatstays too low, you'll be trying to weld or braze them to some really thin tubing, which is really not good. Also, from a tructural perspective, it just makes more sense to be trying to route the forces from the seatstays into a highly triangulated joint like the seat cluster rather than into an unsupported section of the seat tube.

NSR

Likes Dirt
Holy shit, that bike looks amazing.
It looks as if Columbus make tubing for a specific purpose (ie for road frames etc). Are there any other ways you can use the tubing say for an xc bike or something with travel (obviously without the lugs). Although lugs on an xc frame... Hmmm.

KLabs

Likes Bikes
The exact angle of the seatstays isn't particularly important. It *might* come into play on a really small frame with a sloping top tube in order to avoid heel strike, but you'd probably look to solve that problem by using s-bend seat stays.

As far as steel bikes are concerned, seatstays that attach at, or close to, the seat cluster are to be preferred. One reason for this is that butted seat tubes might drop down to a much thinner middle section pretty quickly, and if you attach the seatstays too low, you'll be trying to weld or braze them to some really thin tubing, which is really not good. Also, from a tructural perspective, it just makes more sense to be trying to route the forces from the seatstays into a highly triangulated joint like the seat cluster rather than into an unsupported section of the seat tube.
Hi tmarsh, I found this on the net ... NeilPryde BuraSL 2013 - Comment is "It features dropped seatstays to add comfort ..."
DropSeatStay.jpg

What do you think ... sound reasonable?

KLabs

Likes Bikes
Hi tmarsh, I think I know why they now use sloping top tubes ... and that is because it allows the seat stays to be set to a drop position (for comfort) but still ensures the structural integrity of maintaining the forming of a highly triangulated joint, as you have mentioned.

What do you think ...

tmarsh

Likes Dirt
Finally... build time.

IMG_0435.jpg

Dura-ace 9 speed. Sure, it's not the latest and greatest, but if you don't win the race on this stuff, it'll be your legs, not the gear that held you back.

IMG_0436.jpg

See how that mudguard snugs up into the chainstay brace? It's almost as if it was designed that way, huh?

IMG_0437.jpg

Deda bar and stem. Nice. Now I know some of you will be thinking 'that would look far more pro with white bar tape'. Well it would. But this will still look great after hundreds of rainy kilometers. Mudguards, people. This is the bike you are out riding when all of your mates are inside.

IMG_0438.jpg

Chris King. What else would you put there? Well, maybe a Cane Creek 100 or something that doesnt rely on a silly O-ring to align the steerer tube.

IMG_0439.jpg

Happy customer. That's Dom Briscomb, from First Place Osteo. For all your osteo needs, especially if it's bike related.

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
Congrats on the final build, it looks schmick.

Keeps making me think I should get a custom build for my commuter. Would be easier if I could find a local to do it, rather than lust after your work and know I can't get it.

Rick_B

Likes Bikes
Tmarsh, as others have said great thread, I've really enjoyed reading this and seeing your bike build come together. This is exactly the sort of bike I'd like to have in my stable for those crappy wet weather commutes.

Thanks for going to the trouble of posting all of the photos and keeping us all updated on the progress.

TWChikn

Likes Dirt
Holy crap.
This is an incredible thread and such an awesome result!!

I would happily throw cash at you to build be me frame!

McRae200008

Likes Bikes
Congrats!

Mate this bike you have made is sick! You have done an amazing job getting the whole geometry and put together or the bike! But could I ask and I'm sure we are al wondering how much did you put it together for?

Congrats again mate, sweet bike.