Road Tyre Question

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
I had a blowout on my rear tyre this morning. Small hole in the sidewall of a new new Maxxis Re-Fuse. I assume that a hole in sidewall means game over for the tyre.

JRA and Boom!

RichJS

Likes Dirt
That seems to be missing a question!

Your assumption that a small cut in the sidewall means the tyre is a write-off is probably wrong. You can probably repair it, perhaps even as easily as gluing a normal tyre patch over the inside of it.

You might also consider returning the tyre for replacement under warranty if you suspect that the hole is caused by a manufacturing defect, rather than the road surface. "Fit for purpose" and all that.

Last edited:

GrubNut

Likes Dirt
Game over in my opinion. I wouldn't be trying to repair a sidewall in a tyre that's meant to hold 100+ psi.

You might get away with it with a 35 psi mtb tyre. You'll only be crashing at half the speed on softer ground, without the potential of getting run over by trucks.

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
Game over

I thought about trying to patch it, but I agree that a tyre which is meant to hold high pressure (with my 90kg) could be compromised.

I will try the warranty path, and get a new tyre regardless. I have prob only done 3-400k on it over the last 3 weeks, so it is pretty early for it to die.

Time for another call to the Phantom.

istepinyards

Likes Bikes
Game over Sorry.
As a rule of thumb as soon as I can see through any part of a tyre its off to the tip with them.
I am also nudging 90kgs as a reference.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If your after new tyres... Continental Gatorskins. I'm running them on my roadie and have had no worries with them whatsoever. Very durable and fast.

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
when i get cuts in the side i just put some heavy duty gaffa tape on the inside of the tyre and works a treat however it has to be a small cut and on the side.

My training tyres have been repaired in that manner and they hold 150 psi easy they are maxxis detonators.

jacko69

Likes Dirt
I had a small hole in my rear sidewall (Continental Gatorskins) months ago that I repaired with an old (3 year old) self-adhesive patch....no worries so far, and it's probably done 1000kms since. I noticed the hole only because the tube was sticking (like a bubble, probably 3mm wide, 1-2 mm out) out.

alexb618

Likes Dirt
If your after new tyres... Continental Gatorskins. I'm running them on my roadie and have had no worries with them whatsoever. Very durable and fast.
yeah im going to have to go ahead and disagree with you here. nothing but trouble with the (expensive) gatorskins over the last couple of years.

my free advice is unless you are racing, to just get something cheapish from one of the big brands because its only going to get cut up anyway.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah im going to have to go ahead and disagree with you here. nothing but trouble with the (expensive) gatorskins over the last couple of years.
Really? What problems have you had with yours? Admittedly I haven't done much over 1000km one mine, but so far they've seemed great.

chuckrockswell

iRide Bikes
i know a lot of couriers down here in melbourne have had problems with gatorskins of late. the schwalbe stelvio plus seems to be the new black, especially with the fixed guys. with the smart guard there is a heap of depth to the tyre and a lot are still using the tyre even when its down the blue gel.

alexb618

Likes Dirt
sliced up a maxxis refuse today, glad it was only a $15 tyre - would be gutted if id just blown $40 on a gatorskin for it to get chomped up like that

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
Maxxis Refuse

After I had one MAxxis Refuse 'blow up', I replaced it with another Refuse. The replacement got slashed, and I had to replace it too! Two tyres ruined in 4 weeks. Gotta be more careful with 'my lines'; no wonder roadies are always pointing out gravel etc.

Decided to try the Rubino Pros. So I will see how they go.

alexb618

Likes Dirt
put a schwalbe stelvio plus on the rear and a conti gatorskin on the front about a month or so ago

this seems to be a great combination. used to get a flat about once a week, nothing at all since and ive been through a sh*t load of glass since the new year celebrations (thanks bogans)

nrs1mounty

Likes Dirt
ive put about 6000km's on my gatorskins, no problems at all. Maybe 10 punctures all up and most where of large objects that would have gone through any tyre. They are wearing pretty bad now though, i will be replacing them with another set of gatorskins though. Good tyre IMO.

DarrenHunt

Likes Dirt
over 3000km on my gp4000's and they are going strong... the rear is flatting but still has a fair bit of life left... should pump up tyres more regularly but frankly couldn't be bothered, so i guess that would speed up the wear. havn't had a single puncture on this set. rear has many little rips, i'm guessing from glass, but still holds 120psi for a few days so i cant complain.

tyres

there are some really good tyres going round now, go some continental supersonics if its a race pair of tyres, but they dont last long, thats the only problem.

cant go past the michellin pro race either, you can pick them up pretty cheap over the net, which is good.

I wouldnt waste your time trying to fix it because it will probably just happen again to you, so not worth it.

Happy riding