Roadie purchase under $2.5k

bdstorer

Likes Dirt
Yet ANOTHER 'what should I buy thread?' I hear you say.. :mad:

but I do need some up to date advice..

I have a budget that can be stretched to 2.5k but NO more. I need a 56cm frame. The options on the table thus far are:

2007 Specialized Allez Comp. Alloy frame with carbon stays and fork. 105 groupset, Mavic Akesium(?) wheelset..but generic no-brand brake calipers. $1900 onsale @ my LBS.

2009 Avanti Quantum 1.0. Carbon frame, full 105 groupset, shimano r500 wheelset. $2400.

Ah, I'm nervous about going tyhe full-blown carbon route as my mate crashed his carbon roadie in his first ever road race and it was an instant bin job and I'll be travelling a shed-load on planes with this roadie so kinda want something robust that can deal well with baggage handlers..

What would you guys suggest? Anyone know of bargain bikes in a 56cm sitting in their LBS?

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
Cannondale CAAD9 R5 without a shadow of doubt!

Handmade in the USA.
Lifetime Warranty.
Light, Stiff, Quite compliant.
Raced by many riders over full carbon jobbies.
Check out any forum from the States, they are very, very popular and desirable race bikes.

Cranker

Likes Dirt
I got this brand new Azzurri primo for $2100.
Full carbon with full ultegra SL groupset and Mavic Aksium wheels.

Attachments

bdstorer

Likes Dirt
budget has stretched to $3k and may be able to rack it out to $3.2..

what about in alloy? what are the better alloy bikes?

checked the Cervelo Team Soloist.. what is the cheapest they retail for?

24seven

Likes Dirt
If I was you I'd spend a little under your budget on a Carbon Bike and spend the rest on a decent bike box. The Azzurri bikes are awesome; particularly the Primo mentioned here. Carbon is as strong as alloy but shows it's damage much more visibly. Alloys just hide it until one day snap.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
budget has stretched to $3k and may be able to rack it out to $3.2..

what about in alloy? what are the better alloy bikes?

checked the Cervelo Team Soloist.. what is the cheapest they retail for?
Soloist Team's are ace. RRP is around $3300ish I beleive.

At that pricepoint, a Giant TCR C1 would be sweet too. Best built frame on the market, Ultegra SL and Ksyriums too. You also have the Pinarello FP2 with Ultegra SL in the same price range.

When the budget hits $4k (if it can), buy a Cannondale System 6 Team 4. You will struggle to find a stiffer frame that's still comfortable.

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cannondale CAAD9 R5 without a shadow of doubt!

Handmade in the USA.
Lifetime Warranty.
Light, Stiff, Quite compliant.
Raced by many riders over full carbon jobbies.
Check out any forum from the States, they are very, very popular and desirable race bikes.
I agree also - I have two CAAD's one with full Dura Ace that comes in right on the UCI limit (who needs carbon to build a light race bike) and another with Ultegra/105 for wet weather/training. Great bikes, the frame is stiff yet compliant enough in the rear to be very comfortable on 100K+ plus rides. I use a aluminium post in one and a carbon in the other and there is very little difference in comfort.

McPete

Likes Dirt
What do you want to do with the bike? Crits, point-to-point racing, Audax events or recreational riding?

If you're looking at Audax length events, I'd be thinking about spending $2100 on a Salsa Casseroll. Not so much as a go-fast race bike, as a comfortable roadie.

ScottD

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Azzurri...Shiiit. Steer clear of them, they seem like god value for money but the frames are rubbish, they are the definition of flex.

McPete

Likes Dirt
I'm guessing he means the frame flexing under pedaling. Ride an old low-step 10 speed ladies bike, and really push hard up a hill. You'll feel it squirming around. It isn't nice.

chuck_

Likes Dirt
What do you want to do with the bike? Crits, point-to-point racing, Audax events or recreational riding?

If you're looking at Audax length events, I'd be thinking about spending $2100 on a Salsa Casseroll. Not so much as a go-fast race bike, as a comfortable roadie.
sounds like he wants a light bike so no steel.
+1 for the cannondale CAAD. sweet bikes.

Sutek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We all may cringe at the brand, but who's seen the new Oppy range from Malvern Star?? Don't whinge - go here: www.thelegendisback.com.au

For your budget, the full carbon Ultegra model (alloy steerer) retails brand new for $2,499! That's insane value.

Look past the 'family bike' image and go check one out. The DuraAce model is a farkin noice looking machine!

alexb618

Likes Dirt
a guy i work with just picked up a trek madone 4.7 for $2800 (as the 2009 bikes are in soon)

carbon frame/fork with full ultegra (not 105 mix) and decent bontrager wheels

very very good deal, even though its a trek. but you cant beat the price.

thepotatokid

Likes Dirt
We all may cringe at the brand, but who's seen the new Oppy range from Malvern Star?? Don't whinge - go here: www.thelegendisback.com.au

For your budget, the full carbon Ultegra model (alloy steerer) retails brand new for $2,499! That's insane value.

Look past the 'family bike' image and go check one out. The DuraAce model is a farkin noice looking machine!
Shiver me timbers - that is a good value machine! I am guessing that the tradeoff must be in the frame somewhere? Anyone ridden one or care to comment?

I read somewhere on teh internets that the malvern star frame is the same as the Colnago CLX?!

Last edited:

Sutek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Shiver me timbers - that is a good value machine! I am guessing that the tradeoff must be in the frame somewhere? Anyone ridden one or care to comment?

I read somewhere on teh internets that the malvern star frame is the same as the Colnago CLX?!

I have it on good authority;) that you are indeed correct. Sensational value - but can I bring myself to ride a Malvern Star? The whole 'Oppy' concept is tops though.