Rock n roll lube, what's better

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Does anyone know where I can get Dumonda Tech pro X locally? I bought it from MTB direct once but they no longer seem to stock it (always says out of stock) and I can't find it anywhere except the states of the UK and shipping is a killer.

It was my favourite while I had it.

EDIT - checked the dumonde site for distributors and found Two up bike co is the Australian distributor...
Maybe check with Cyclinic? I think Project321 used similar stuff in their freehubs )and Cyclinic were the distro for P321).

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I think an oil based lubricant is better at protecting from corrosion, the wax based like r&r is better in dry dusty conditions as the dust doesn't stick to the wax like it does oil lubricant.
I prefer wet lubes but only put it on sparingly. I have a bunch of wet and dry lubes but always seem to think my chain has very little dry lube on it no matter how much I put on.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got a couple of bottles of that Silca stuff. Is supposed to save a bunch of watts yadda yadda. Would always return from a ride with the dirtiest chain.

I keep coming back to RnR Gold, just seems to work best for my dusty environments.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
I picked up a small bottle of Bike Mechanic all-purpose from LBS, mainly because they had no rocknroll and I needed chainlube. Its Similar to rocknroll I guess, as its a wax base in an alcohol medium, longevity is a bit irrelevant as the chain gets a clean and re-wax almost every ride anyway...
Also made in Aus... support ya local.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I picked up a small bottle of Bike Mechanic all-purpose from LBS, mainly because they had no rocknroll and I needed chainlube. Its Similar to rocknroll I guess, as its a wax base in an alcohol medium, longevity is a bit irrelevant as the chain gets a clean and re-wax almost every ride anyway...
Support ya local says Mr Chillybin Jandals, as he polishes his deck.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I've been a fan of the Ride Mechanic stuff for a while, particularly the lighter, drier Bike Milk variant. I'm generally a bit of a softie & rarely ride in wet conditions, so the dry lube suits me best. The mid-grade Bike Syrup and wet-grade Bike Cream are a bit gooby for dry weather and do collect a bit of crap, even with the excess wiped off before riding, but in the wet stay clean, and more importantly, stay on/in the chain. The cool thing about their stuff is that all versions are the same principal ingredients, so you can mix them to make your own custom blends to suit your particular conditions, which very few other lubes can do.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Have used Finish Line Dry, Finish Line Wet, Rock n Roll Gold and Blue but now I only use Squirt and it's by far the best chain lube I've used any time of year. Doesn't attract crap or leave crud on your cassette or chainring and lasts longer than any of the others I mentioned.
Yeah, I stick with it. I'm a simpleton, and like simple, effective solutions.

teK--

Eats Squid
Have used Finish Line Dry, Finish Line Wet, Rock n Roll Gold and Blue but now I only use Squirt and it's by far the best chain lube I've used any time of year. Doesn't attract crap or leave crud on your cassette or chainring and lasts longer than any of the others I mentioned.
I was a squirt convert too but eventually got sick of how hard it is to clean off. Now on Silca top secret wax which works as good as squirt but washes off easily with detergent.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On that topic, anyone here go down the chain waxing route? I mean the whole soaking them in the crock pot style of chain waxing. Supposed to stay clean and quiet for ages. But price of entry seems high, you almost want to start with two chains so you have a changeover for when you are re-doing one of them.

teK--

Eats Squid
On that topic, anyone here go down the chain waxing route? I mean the whole soaking them in the crock pot style of chain waxing. Supposed to stay clean and quiet for ages. But price of entry seems high, you almost want to start with two chains so you have a changeover for when you are re-doing one of them.
Nar considered it and it sounds like a pain in the dick.

One thing I do do is throw the chain in an ultrasonic cleaner with degreaser, whenever I rotate the chain (every 600kms or so)

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
I have an old slow cooker, I found 2kg of paraffin wax pellets on FB marketplace (some lady had grand ideas to start making candles. Never did). Cost $5.

Waited until I was changing the chain, agitated the chain in a Tupperware container with metho for a day (too it to work shook it everytime I walked past).

Wax took 30mins to melt, chain in agitate every 5mins or so for 15mins. Hang and let dry.

I only re-wax every 3-400k (maybe). Usually if it gets a bit noisy and annoys me I'll do it.

Have never had to put degreaser anywhere near my bike.

Not a pain in the arse at all. Having to buy chain lube and apply every couple of rides is more of a PIA.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I do it and am more than happy with the results. Add a bit more paraffin oil for wet conditions.
The bike industry doesn't want you to know how cheap, quick and easy it is.
Parraffin oil gives you change from $15, the wax block was under $10 and a shitty saucepan was a couple dollars from an op shop. I already had a stove and the whole process of cleaning and rewaxing takes about as long as the coffee you drink while you're at it.
The cleaning between waxing is so easy, drop the chain in a pot of boiling water and the melted wax floats to the top and carries all the shit with it.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I did. Then stopped riding to work, was put on to Morgan Blue and have been super lazy since. Which is ridiculous because waxing really is a walk in the park.

Having said that though the Morgan Blue stuff lasted a whole dusty Otway Odyssey with not a single squeak.

Last edited: