Rocky Mountain 2013

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I dont think its that simple on these bikes Sumgy - it would change the realtionship of the geo for the rear shock seeing as they mount it to the top tube
Maybe, maybe not.
I dont understand why you would build a frame design around the shock mount position instead of vice versa.
Tallboy is top tube mounted too so I dont see that is the reason.

chuckrockswell

iRide Bikes
Maybe, maybe not.
I dont understand why you would build a frame design around the shock mount position instead of vice versa.
shock position is pretty important to say the least. having a low top tube (and shock) helps keeps the centre of gravity lower for better cornering and weight transfer.

plus it does help when manouvering the bike, clearance for knees is a lot greater and lets face it, if you slip forward theres a little less chance of nadding yourself unless you're hung like john holmes.

I completely understand the asthetics though. I rode a Large Element before my XL arrived and I felt like a kook with 8 kilometres of seatpost hanging out. the XL looks much better.

How tall are you Sumgy? Are you aware that there is a 2XL coming out for 2013? Only big boys need aply for that one. At 6'2" I will be more than happy on the XL.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
shock position is pretty important to say the least. having a low top tube (and shock) helps keeps the centre of gravity lower for better cornering and weight transfer.

plus it does help when manouvering the bike, clearance for knees is a lot greater and lets face it, if you slip forward theres a little less chance of nadding yourself unless you're hung like john holmes.

I completely understand the asthetics though. I rode a Large Element before my XL arrived and I felt like a kook with 8 kilometres of seatpost hanging out. the XL looks much better.

How tall are you Sumgy? Are you aware that there is a 2XL coming out for 2013? Only big boys need aply for that one. At 6'2" I will be more than happy on the XL.
I am 6'2" tall and my days of running ETT's less than 25" are over.
I have to say that looking at the geometry chart the numbers are different to most.
Technically I would say that the XL is too small and the XL probably too big without running a 80mm - 90mm stem.

You and I will also have to agree to disagree about the benefit of standover other than for me to say that IMO standover is the most considered measurement I see but the least important consideration when sizing a bike.
Both of my current bikes have little to no standover clearance.
But then again I dont tend to standover my bike too much.

:laugh:

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I might have to go and look at these up close.
According to their geometry chart the XL has a standover of 30.4" vs the XL Tallboy at 30.2".
Also a 24.8" ETT vs a 25" ETT and a 20" ST vs a 21" ST.

Something does not add up.

Boxer

Likes Dirt
Maybe, maybe not.
True,

But the Tallboy mount the pivot on the seat tube which then connects to the shock up to the top tube. The element however connect both the pivot point and the shock to the Top tube.

Have a look at medium TB compared to Large Tallboy - the pivot point mount is further down the seat tube on the large to be able to keep the same geo for the rear triangle.

I cant explain the geo dimension comparisons you have though ?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
2012 Alloy 970 vs 2013 Carbon 950

Some pretty good specials going on the 2012 alloy Element 970 ($3999) and 950 ($3199) at the moment.

I have test ridden the 2012 950 and my only concern was the Monarch RT shock / rear suspension seemed a bit harsh despite being at the correct sag setting and testing a range of threshold settings. I haven't had an opportunity to test ride the 2012 970 with the Monarch RT3. The difference between the RT and RT3 is that the RT has the threshold / LSC dial and the RT3 has a more RP23 style lever.

Has anybody ridden both the 950 and the 970 to be able to compare the feel of each of these shocks ? Would they basically feel the same in all likelihood aside from the lever vs dial control ?

Looks like the 2013 950 RSL (carbon) will be around $4800 RRP with Fox fork and shock vs the current rock shox model.

Thanks

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Although both bikes use the same frames the forks and shock will tune the bike to ride a little more differently, the 970 is more of a race orientated 29er, while the 950 is a more trail focused bike. Weight wise you will be looking at 12.1 V 12.5 for the 970 v 950, with most of the difference coming from the wheels and forks.

I have a 970, For Sale (sorry for the self promotion), and very rarely ride with the lock out threshold on, rebound 3 clicks in from fast with the forks set equal air pressure neg/positive and rebound set to around the middle. At these settings i find the bikes suspension is really balanced front to rear (more than any dually I have ever ridden). The harshness you describe in the monarch of the 950 RT I haven't experienced in the RT3 of the 970, it did take a good few rides for it to loose a bit of its initial stiction but since then I have found it to perform no different to Fox RP23 I have had on bikes in the past. Whereas I have found the SID RL fork to be responsive and supple straight out of the box and a much better performing fork than any Fox fork I have ridden in the past. And really glad RM have specced the Element 999 with Rock Shox again for next year!

The specials going on run out models are really well priced and personally don't know what size you are after or what sizes are available through shops, I also don't know where you reside or what size you are after, but if you are in Melb and wanting to blast around on a medium 970 hit me up with a PM and we can sort something out!

quiggs

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For those looking for a little more fun, stay tuned.

New model due out after Christmas. 130mm 29ner dually with adjustable geo. 68- 69 degree HA. Carbon and Alloy.
Look very cool

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Details of a 650b 150mm travel RM released today by Flow MTB. Check their FB or Twitter feed for details.

Hugor

Likes Dirt
For those looking for a little more fun, stay tuned.

New model due out after Christmas. 130mm 29ner dually with adjustable geo. 68- 69 degree HA. Carbon and Alloy.
Look very cool
Alloy and trail geo have me very interested.
Got a linky or pics?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
bloody impressive

If I was looking for a new bike next year - RM would be at the top of the list. Seriously stunning bikes, well thought out, great design touches, 650b, light, stiff and well priced. I really like the little travel/spring rate/changing thingie for the rear shock.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If I was looking for a new bike next year - RM would be at the top of the list. Seriously stunning bikes, well thought out, great design touches, 650b, light, stiff and well priced. I really like the little travel/spring rate/changing thingie for the rear shock.
Second that minus the 650B thing. The Instinct just became number one on the wish list, well equal first with the new Carbon Spider29.

Ordered my 950 Element 2013 model today

Pick it up on Friday.

Changes to be done
2 x 10
Wheels to Stans Arch
Easton Haven Carbon Riser Bar

Can't wait.

Pick it up last night

2013 Element 950

What a beautiful bike at 12.6 Kg.

Things I changed
Tyres to IKONs, made them tubeless
Easton Haven Carbon Bar - 711mm I like wide bars
3T Team-Doric Carbon Seat Post

Will do more bling later.

Going to take it for a test ride this afternoon.

Then have the Epic 87K ride tomorrow.

bike.jpg

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There is some serious drool-inducing bling in this thread. I've been browsing the RM site as well - phoar!

However I can't see RRP for any of the Elements anywhere. Does anyone know RRP on the 970?

quiggs

Likes Dirt
There is some serious drool-inducing bling in this thread. I've been browsing the RM site as well - phoar!

However I can't see RRP for any of the Elements anywhere. Does anyone know RRP on the 970?
2013 Elements
999 $9000
970 $6000
BC $5700
950 $4800

Not far away from landing in Australia, and just like last year we will get our dirty hands on them first before our Northern Hemisphere riding buddies :boom:

quiggs