Pearl Izumi
Michelin
Crowne Plaza Canberra

and of course
SHIMANO

Get ready to score lots of prizes!

B.J.

Likes Bikes
I love the fact that this is your job, organising races/events for all of us. It's great.
Don't give up your day job!

ViS

Likes Dirt
4 of us are driving down for the weekend from Brisbane for the Awaba round. Looks like it should be a fun race.

We'll be leaving it until near the closing date for registration though, to make sure the weather will be good for the race before we commit to the long drive.

Can you tell me if there are limited registration numbers, and if so, does the race usually fill up beforehand? Couldn't see anything on the website about numbers.

trailburner

Rocky Trail Entertainment
We expect to get near capacity crowd at Awaba which is around 500. If you register within 1 week to go you will get in for sure. If it fills up beforehand I will post it here.

toby

Likes Dirt
Will be back onboard racing the Rocky Trail series again this year...

For anyone looking at starting out racing, getting back into it or just doing more, these guys run a truly professional and fun series. My wife, a mate and I did the all races next year and this year will be back with another team to do the same again. Can't wait!!!

trailburner

Will be back onboard racing the Rocky Trail series again this year...

For anyone looking at starting out racing, getting back into it or just doing more, these guys run a truly professional and fun series. My wife, a mate and I did the all races next year and this year will be back with another team to do the same again. Can't wait!!!
Thanks a lot - makes my day to hear things like that!

trailburner

Together with the hosting club HMBA we had to make the early decision to swap venues of the race series due to the trail conditions at Awaba MTB Park. It is closed at the moment and much needed repairs can only commence once the weather improves. It is highly unlikely that the racetrack will be in a condition that you will enjoy. We saw how boggy the tracks get at the recent National round there as Martin experienced racing himself.

The season opener will now be at Stromlo Forest Park which dries a lot better and doesn't need repair. Plus we have a lot of tracks to choose from. Due to it being already booked on the original weekend we will race a week earlier on Sunday, 15 April 2012.

If you have already registered your entry will automatically be transferred to the earlier date of Round 1. If you can't race on that date simply send us an email and we will transfer it to any other round of the series.

MATTY R

Likes Dirt
Ive just entered round 1,

the venue and date change actually works in my favour. I think thats the first time any event change has done that for me!

Im going solo 7 hour, im pumped! cant wait. :very_drunk:

trailburner

Important announcement for all Shimano MTB GP racers: the location of round 4 has just been confirmed. We will be racing at Appin! Big thanks to the Wollongong MTB Club for hosting us.

trailburner

I'm assuming we can camp at stromlo Saturday and Sunday night?
I'll double check but usually this isn't a problem. Please note that we won't be using the crit track but set up the event centre at the bottom of the 4X hill so camping will be up there and on the car park if you come with a camper van.

trailburner

Heading down to Canberra for this weekend's Solo Nationals and will stay there to sort the tracks for the GP. I really enjoyed riding up the Heartbreak climb to the top of Skyline-Luge. Do you guys want this in or prefer the longer but easier Bluegum climb?
Alternatively we can ride out the back and let the hill be a hill...
I am open for suggestions.

toby

Likes Dirt
Same track as last race of last year please... up up up then awesome down to end a lap. Always good to come into transition with a smile!

Rida

Likes Bikes
Heading down to Canberra for this weekend's Solo Nationals and will stay there to sort the tracks for the GP. I really enjoyed riding up the Heartbreak climb to the top of Skyline-Luge. Do you guys want this in or prefer the longer but easier Bluegum climb?
The loop MUST include skyline and the luge!!

If you must include Skyline and Luge then there are really only two ways to get there - the usual 3,000 switchbacks or Heartbreaker. While I can't really say I enjoyed Heartbreaker in the MTB Cruise, it made a nice change from the easier switchbacks route.

Something along the lines of ... Wattle Happen - Blackberry Climb - Slant Six - Blue Tongue - Heartbreaker - Skyline - Luge etc ... would work.

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
I'd vote for Bluegum, but that's coming from the point of view of solo .... if I was in a team I'd probably like to try something different, although I'm not familiar with heartbreak climb.

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
I am using this race as a return to riding my bike for a stupid long time, so either way its gonna hurt........but.....I rode at Stromlo a week ago, and rode both Bluegum (if thats what the 50,000,000 switchbacks are called) and Heartbreaker, and Heartbreaker was a little chopped up I thought so personally would prefer Bluegum climb.
Although whatever course you set I will be there and I will ride it and not complain.....promise.

I am using this race as a return to riding my bike for a stupid long time, so either way its gonna hurt........but.....I rode at Stromlo a week ago, and rode both Bluegum (if thats what the 50,000,000 switchbacks are called) and Heartbreaker, and Heartbreaker was a little chopped up I thought so personally would prefer Bluegum climb.
Although whatever course you set I will be there and I will ride it and not complain.....promise.
Yup, I too have ridden heart breaker recently. Very rough ATM..... rock gardens are real rock gardens now.

Would vote for main climb up cockatoo switchbacks and down skyline/luge, which will make a nice 30-40min lap (which i assume would be ideal for this length of race!).

trailburner

Thanks for all the ideas - we will head out tomorrow to Stromlo to set the track.
Weather forecast for the entire week including raceday: sun, sun and more sun!