Rollercoaster powered by Flow - 2014 NSW State Series and Championships

trailburner

Rocky Trail Entertainment
How about we make it Saturday 9am. Is there a good meeting ground? I have been there once years ago but don't remember much of it.

dbowden

Likes Dirt
Works for me, would be good to get anyone else who knows the area along as well to throw ideas around. Can just meet at the trailhead or out on killingworth road or something.

trailburner

Works for me, would be good to get anyone else who knows the area along as well to throw ideas around. Can just meet at the trailhead or out on killingworth road or something.
The weather doesn't look very inviting tomorrow. Can you pm me your phone number? We might do it a bit later next week. I will see Tim and Coleen on Saturday afternoon and will ask them for a few ideas.

trailburner

We are sorting dates and permissions at the moment. It's looking good. The people in the know suggested a few good trails. So as soon as we get the ok we'll head up there to check them out in detail. Will post a date.

haltz

Likes Dirt
Planning on having a dig tomorrow while there's som moisture if anyone's interested, if the weather stays dry it should be good for a ride by the arvo too

loc81

Likes Dirt
Martin, any idea of when trail maps or names are going to surface? There's probably a lot of people unfamiliar with the area that would be keen for an early sticky beak. The rare times I've been out there probably won't help me much - it's a bit of a rabbit warren!
The Killingworth facebook page put up this updated map which may be of some use?
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7517/15930811628_e0e2f8b6fd_o.png

haltz

Likes Dirt
Killi has 2 sides, all the dh or these days am stuff is on your right if you've driven in to the carpark (main camp on the map) under the power lines, if you head up you'll see that one of the lines is a lot mote worn in from being raced a few weeks back, as far as I'm aware it will be one of the stages, I don't really know how it works but if you can use strava on a gps or something it comes up as old school killi dh long track or something like that, I don't know a lot about what other track they're using as most of the lines need heaps of work so we don't really ride them much. Maaaay be headin out tomorrow for a few runs and a play on some of the flowy sections, will be happy to point anyone in the right direction if they're out there

Last edited:

trailburner

We are currently throwing a few ideas around. Couldn't ride as much as I wanted last time as I had a bit of a crash (on a section we won't use now :) and broke the bike... some hardcore research going on there.

Will head out again this week. Yes, the old school DH track will be track 1. Same or similar start and heading out the other way will be track 2 and then there might be a secret track 3 that won't get published so there is no local advantage. Might be a track we run blind meaning without practice but as I said we still need to head out there first to check things out.

Bamm

Likes Bikes
This is Kool

We are currently throwing a few ideas around. Couldn't ride as much as I wanted last time as I had a bit of a crash (on a section we won't use now :) and broke the bike... some hardcore research going on there.

Will head out again this week. Yes, the old school DH track will be track 1. Same or similar start and heading out the other way will be track 2 and then there might be a secret track 3 that won't get published so there is no local advantage. Might be a track we run blind meaning without practice but as I said we still need to head out there first to check things out.
I love the the concept of running a blind track with no practice. That is true Allmountain. Great idea.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Yeah blind riding is the way to go.... I'd love to see more of it IE: a whole round run like that would be sweet!

loc81

Likes Dirt

I was talking to mates yesterday and when I mentioned the DH track they seemed quite concerned for my safety! "You wouldn't go down that on anything but a DH bike" was one quote. Is this an accurate statement or are you diverting around the nasty stuff? Either way, I think I'll take a look up there soon before I lock myself in!

haltz

Likes Dirt
I was talking to mates yesterday and when I mentioned the DH track they seemed quite concerned for my safety! "You wouldn't go down that on anything but a DH bike" was one quote. Is this an accurate statement or are you diverting around the nasty stuff? Either way, I think I'll take a look up there soon before I lock myself in!
You sure they were talking about killi? I wouldn't ride the old dh track on anything but a trail bike, Lycra clad xc guys roll down fairly often, theres nothing that can't be rolled down and like any trail the person on the bike has their fingers on the brakes how much they want to use them determines how safe it is

loc81

Likes Dirt
You sure they were talking about killi? I wouldn't ride the old dh track on anything but a trail bike, Lycra clad xc guys roll down fairly often, theres nothing that can't be rolled down and like any trail the person on the bike has their fingers on the brakes how much they want to use them determines how safe it is
These guys were talking about the trail that starts at the top of sugarloaf?
Maybe it's starts from a different point or has been spruced up since they rode it- not sure.
I'm guessing by that map that that you can ride up the fire road next to it?

haltz

Likes Dirt
These guys were talking about the trail that starts at the top of sugarloaf?
Maybe it's starts from a different point or has been spruced up since they rode it- not sure.
I'm guessing by that map that that you can ride up the fire road next to it?

They're either talking about the actual sugarloaf dh track which is a fair way from where the race is and even still it's fine for a trail bike or the other track they're talking about which is still fine on a little bike isn't getting used, but nah none of the trails in the area are what you'd call gnarly or wild downhill tracks, its actually crazy that the trails there are only just now being tapped into by the 'all mountain' scene