Saint Calipers with metal pads - opinions?

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey All,

Currently building a steel 27.5+ trail HT and was considering a saint caliper up front to replace an existing XT caliper. I currently have an XC HT and a 140 travel dual... the HT has XT with finned resin pads and the dual has XT with resin finned on the rear and finned metal pads up front (I always thought they were both resin until now) the metals pads definitely give a bit more stopping power but I find that on very techy descents I am sometimes lacking power up front.

I was under the impression that metal pads were grabby and noisier than resin but I can't say I've noticed anything more than some additional stopping power.

What would Saint calipers be like on a trail bike? for those using Saint, do you stick with metal or change them out to resin pads?

Cheers
CC

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Over kill.

Sounds like you need to learn how to brake less. Not enough power on an ascent? That is a technique issue.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Over kill.

Sounds like you need to learn how to brake less. Not enough power on an ascent? That is a technique issue.
Haha, yeh, I just changed that to "descents"! Trying to stop 80kg + bike and gear to get around a hairpin at the bottom of a -30% + rock garden... hmmm. I guess I could always just ride slower!

stirk

Burner
You get more stopping power from the front brake regardless of the pad material but I'm guessing you know that already.

XT provide oddles of power to flip you over the bars very easily and on techy descents I find the terrain will give way before I feel I'm under braked.

Perhaps there is some contamination at play here and it's time to deploy the bbq for some pad cooking!

Or you're just massive and need more stopping power?

Z

Zaf

Get the Saint's, they the best modulated of the Shimano line up and they look trick.
Economy won't stimulate itself, so just keep consuming products okay!!!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Haha, yeh, I just changed that to "descents"! Trying to stop 80kg + bike and gear to get around a hairpin at the bottom of a -30% + rock garden... hmmm. I guess I could always just ride slower!
I run xt on 2 bikes and have no power related braking issues. Weighing in at 95kg and riding down only...

If you saint the front, saint the rear. Mismatched brakes looks very Jerry.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey All,

Currently building a steel 27.5+ trail HT and was considering a saint caliper up front to replace an existing XT caliper. I currently have an XC HT and a 140 travel dual... the HT has XT with finned resin pads and the dual has XT with resin finned on the rear and finned metal pads up front (I always thought they were both resin until now) the metals pads definitely give a bit more stopping power but I find that on very techy ascents I am sometimes lacking power up front.

I was under the impression that metal pads were grabby and noisier than resin but I can't say I've noticed anything more than some additional stopping power.

What would Saint calipers be like on a trail bike? for those using Saint, do you stick with metal or change them out to resin pads?

Cheers
CC
You get more stopping power from the front brake regardless of the pad material but I'm guessing you know that already.

XT provide oddles of power to flip you over the bars very easily and on techy descents I find the terrain will give way before I feel I'm under braked.

Perhaps there is some contamination at play here and it's time to deploy the bbq for some pad cooking!

Or you're just massive and need more stopping power?
no just massively fast.... hahaha!

Actually I took to my pads from the ht with a blow torch the other day! Very nice now!

NeoNasty

Likes Dirt
'Fo sho go 200 on the front.

I'm 100kg before getting dressed and breakfast so thats a fair bit of heft decending at speed on both a HT and the E29.

I had Deore and upgraded to Zee brakes with Metal pads. Love them. I couldnt ever ask for more brake.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
'Fo sho go 200 on the front.

I'm 100kg before getting dressed and breakfast so thats a fair bit of heft decending at speed on both a HT and the E29.

I had Deore and upgraded to Zee brakes with Metal pads. Love them. I couldnt ever ask for more brake.
Yes you could, it.goes like this:

"Dear Santa,

This year I have been extra good. I smashed out all my chores and ate all those shitty vegetables every day. With Christmas coming up I thought we should talk about my present, and this year I would like some hope 4 pot brakes please?

Lots of love (measured in brandy, milk, and cookies),

Neo Nasty"

You have about 1 year to really turn in so stock up on the broccoli and cabbage.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Go for it. Just grab the front of that's all you can afford atm.

I ran almost the exact combo your looking at at Buller over the weekend.

Zee front and xt rear, because I had an issue with my rear brake and I had no problems what so ever. No fade, no squealing.

I have previously run the xt only front and rear on the same bike and I do notice the difference between the single piston and double. I find that the Zees have more modulation than the xt as well.

Btw, I'm about 110kg kitted up and run 8 inch uberbike radiator rotors with their race matrix pads front and rear.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
There is now an XT 4-pot caliper, BR-M8020. Supposedly 20% more braking power compared with M8000. But as it seems to be a lot more expensive than Zee, it doesn't seem to make much sense.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I maintain my original recommendation...learn to brake. Can we see some images or explanations of what you guys advising bigger brakes and rotors are riding, set ups, and style of riding? I think this would help understand what's going on with your rides. I'm really struggling to conceive how it is that you're not getting enough out of your xt brakes? Even the older Deore brakes have enough power to pull me up on an enduro bike riding the Ourimbah dh trail, not that I recommend the Deore brakes if you can afford better.

I'm running 160mm rear and 170/180mm front. This is providing me with more than enough stopping power and modulation (though I do agree with everyone that xt brakes don't have much modulation). So when I hear all this talk of not getting enough power I have to wonder.

Z

Zaf

I maintain my original recommendation...learn to brake. Can we see some images or explanations of what you guys advising bigger brakes and rotors are riding, set ups, and style of riding? I think this would help understand what's going on with your rides. I'm really struggling to conceive how it is that you're not getting enough out of your xt brakes? Even the older Deore brakes have enough power to pull me up on an enduro bike riding the Ourimbah dh trail, not that I recommend the Deore brakes if you can afford better.

I'm running 160mm rear and 170/180mm front. This is providing me with more than enough stopping power and modulation (though I do agree with everyone that xt brakes don't have much modulation). So when I hear all this talk of not getting enough power I have to wonder.
Stay Pleb Pink!!

Upgrading isn't done for performance benefits; it's done for status, and bling, and retail therapy.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Stay Pleb Pink!!

Upgrading isn't done for performance benefits; it's done for status, and bling, and retail therapy.
That is what shoes are for! Fucked if I need 5 different types of black sneakers...but I've got them!

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It’s not that I need to learn how to brake, I’m fine 99% of the time. An example of where i’d perhaps like a little more is on a trail at Loftus called sneaky snake and some of the ...ahem... illegal trails at Lucas heights.

Anyhows, thanks as always for the feedback. I think I’ll try the standard xt I already have but switch to metal finned pads and go from there.