Same shit, different bike.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I find it hilarious reading fan comments on rider's posts when they change teams.

I reckon any bike supplied by a top level WC team is capable of winning, the rider is the key.

The last four overall World Cups were won on four different brands. Devinci, Santa Cruz, Specialized and YT. I'm thinking that the actual bike brand is one of the least important parts of the winning puzzle.

Thoughts?

dunndog

Eats Squid
I think most wc racers are totally made by their bike. Without the raddest brand backing them up, they couldn't be the raddest. For proof look no further that Gwin. Last season's winner on a totally unproven race bike. Goes to show, the proportionate bar width to wheel size/hub engagement is key.

Boom King

I think most wc racers are totally made by their bike. Without the raddest brand backing them up, they couldn't be the raddest. For proof look no further that Gwin. Last season's winner on a totally unproven race bike. Goes to show, the proportionate bar width to wheel size/hub engagement is key.
Solid argument from a radly erudite dog.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I find it hilarious reading fan comments on rider's posts when they change teams.

I reckon any bike supplied by a top level WC team is capable of winning, the rider is the key.

The last four overall World Cups were won on four different brands. Devinci, Santa Cruz, Specialized and YT. I'm thinking that the actual bike brand is one of the least important parts of the winning puzzle.

Thoughts?
So I have to buy all four brands?

The other thing I find interesting is that they are 3 difference suspension layouts too but all obviously very capable - Devinci is basically single pivot, Santa Cruz is short linkage and spesh/YT are Horst link.

Twelve

Likes Dirt
It's not just the bike but things like team videos, other team members/their relationships and public image that people are interested in. An example is that I read a whole lot of comments through the course of the season on Gwin appearing more relaxed since moving to YT, which I somewhat agree with. It's all part of it.

moorey

call me Mia

Thoughts?
Never ridden any of those DH bikes, and also never podiumed in the World Cup. Maybe there something in it.....

Beej1

I reckon the bike, and it's suspension format, plays a part. But a pretty small one. Whether the rider is "on it" or not come race weekend plays the biggest part in whether they podium/win

I often wonder if any of the elites look at a new model made by one of their brand's competitors and think "Man that looks the shiz ... wish our rigs looked that good". For a while Graves would post pics of Richie Rude checking out his Spec bikes ... I wondered if that was an example of such envy or if it was just "So that's what bikes that aren't turquoise or black look like".

Boom King

And the past ten World Champs were won on Iron Horse, Commencal, Specialized, Giant, Santa Cruz (3), GT, Lapierre and Mondraker.

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Mostly rider I think.

Put me on the latest and greatest, and Gwin on a hard tail. He'll still kick my ass.

Seriously, the top guys put time into Claudio on every preview.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight

Thoughts?
Yep, they're all capable bikes. Apart from the riders skill, which I think everyone would agree is the main ingredient, support, testing and set up would play a large part too. Remember the Honda?

Having said that though, all the hype, slander and general shit talking about the bikes keeps the interest there, keeps people buying new bikes and gives us new colours so our trail appearances stay fresh!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Thoughts?
Didn't steve peat prove that with all those wins riding and orange?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Of all the sports on this fine globe, downhill; actually mountain biking as a whole, is the one sport that is totally all about the athletes ability at the top level. The teams show up with capable gear and I cannot say that the difference in results is down to top level gear being better than the other, it's most certainly the pilot.
An easy way to demonstrate that fact is to say you put a rookie on a top level rider's bike and see the result.

moorey

call me Mia
An easy way to demonstrate that fact is to say you put a rookie on a top level rider's bike and see the result.
Pfft. I hear he's recovering just fine.
[video=youtube_share;e7YzA0B2-7M]https://youtu.be/e7YzA0B2-7M[/video]

Too soon?

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I am (barely) living proof, it's all down to rider.

Only crashed 5 times riding into Bright along the bike path. Riderz skillz rulez!

#knuckleswasadrunkenchunt

Last edited: