AM Santa Cruz 5010 Carbon CC

22SBBGR

Squid
Great bike. Got a 2015 model 5010 in large size. Very stiff, stable and forgiving after coming off a medium blur XCc.
I am 5'9" and the 2015 SC sizing was tricky, the medium is too short for me to run a shorter stem, and the large is almost too big.
But given the slacker and longer approach, I went the large. So far so good.
The medium blur setup was 580TT + 110stem + 640 bars (very XC), to now a large 2015 5010 setup with 610TT + 50stem + 750 bars.
A big setup change, but very similar seat to bar reach for comfortable long trail rides.
Only issue has been getting use to the longer wheelbase in tight twisty singletrack (especially with the 140mm pike), after riding a blur for 4 years which turns on a dime, so looking to try a shorter stem (35) to see how that goes, maybe better, maybe worse.
Surprised at how good it climbs, especially with the longer 140mm pike, didnt think it would being slacker etc.., but will leave at 140mm for now. Unless I can ride another large with 130 pike and compare I wont cut it down, like the extra travel on decents.

Anyone compared back to back a 5010 with 140 vs 130 pike, any noticeable difference ?

Find myself hitting trails faster and faster now, only 1 extra inch of travel vs blur, but just more stable and planted. Great all round bike. Nice progression from the blur to another Santa cruz. Not really an enduro guy as I like to climb like an XC guy too, so the 5010 was the better choice for me instead of a bronson.
A mate has a new 2016 stumpy FSR sworks 29er, and ridden back to back both are great bikes. I thought the new stumpy in 29er would feel faster, but not by much, certainly not in single track or rough trails, maybe only on smooth fire trail. 29ers have come along way, his thing steers and climbs great for wagon wheels and is very well sorted, but love the playfulness of the 5010 on singletrack we love to ride.

Noticed the 2016 model 5010 in a medium is now a longer TT (almost 600), so glad I got the large sized 2015 model for my height.

Anyone made the Fox EVOL air can upgrade to their CTD shock ? Good/Bad ?

Seems the 2016 DPS shock is valved different as well with a firmer lockout.
Thinking that a EVOL air can on CTD might be better on descents, but worse on climbs with more bob given the CTD has no firm lockout.

EMF

Eats Squid
Everyone's doing it

Great bike. Got a 2015 model 5010 in large size. Very stiff, stable and forgiving after coming off a medium blur XCc.
I am 5'9" and the 2015 SC sizing was tricky, the medium is too short for me to run a shorter stem, and the large is almost too big.
But given the slacker and longer approach, I went the large. So far so good.
The medium blur setup was 580TT + 110stem + 640 bars (very XC), to now a large 2015 5010 setup with 610TT + 50stem + 750 bars.
A big setup change, but very similar seat to bar reach for comfortable long trail rides.
Only issue has been getting use to the longer wheelbase in tight twisty singletrack (especially with the 140mm pike), after riding a blur for 4 years which turns on a dime, so looking to try a shorter stem (35) to see how that goes, maybe better, maybe worse.
Surprised at how good it climbs, especially with the longer 140mm pike, didnt think it would being slacker etc.., but will leave at 140mm for now. Unless I can ride another large with 130 pike and compare I wont cut it down, like the extra travel on decents.

Anyone compared back to back a 5010 with 140 vs 130 pike, any noticeable difference ?

Find myself hitting trails faster and faster now, only 1 extra inch of travel vs blur, but just more stable and planted. Great all round bike. Nice progression from the blur to another Santa cruz. Not really an enduro guy as I like to climb like an XC guy too, so the 5010 was the better choice for me instead of a bronson.
A mate has a new 2016 stumpy FSR sworks 29er, and ridden back to back both are great bikes. I thought the new stumpy in 29er would feel faster, but not by much, certainly not in single track or rough trails, maybe only on smooth fire trail. 29ers have come along way, his thing steers and climbs great for wagon wheels and is very well sorted, but love the playfulness of the 5010 on singletrack we love to ride.

Noticed the 2016 model 5010 in a medium is now a longer TT (almost 600), so glad I got the large sized 2015 model for my height.

Anyone made the Fox EVOL air can upgrade to their CTD shock ? Good/Bad ?

Seems the 2016 DPS shock is valved different as well with a firmer lockout.
Thinking that a EVOL air can on CTD might be better on descents, but worse on climbs with more bob given the CTD has no firm lockout.
Yup unscrew that air can and dial in an EVOL
It's a must do . Finally a plush beginning stroke

Got one from Cyclinic over the counter and just do it yourself
Easy
Drop 2 sizes on the air spacer

Last edited:

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
With regards to a rear shock upgrade, having been on a hardtail the last 5 years any rear suspension feels amazing so I don't think I'll be upgrading any time soon.

I have just destroyed another carbon rim this weekend so I need to think of some options moving forward to stop this happening. The first one failed on a cased landing and I'm totally fine with that because any rim would have failed under the circumstances. I actually continued riding it for another 4 months before I had to get the replacement rim built up.

The second rim only lasted 2 weeks or about 150km, I don't even know when or where it happened, found it washing the bike. It will need replacing at some point.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So it turns out my failed rims have most likely been a result of improper air pressures. The gauge on my floor pump was faulty so I was doing the 2 thumb squeeze test and what I thought was a good pressure turned out to be much less air when I finally got myself a proper gauge.

Anyway I was given the opportunity to get the new 40mm AM rim as a replacement so I took it. I will be going back to a Ikon rear tyre when this Ardent wears out to offset the added weight of the 40mm rim.

teK--

Eats Squid
What was the actual pressure you were running?
This.

I've never trusted floor pump gauges and always use a digital gauge checking before each ride.

Ride looks good the wheels a bit too loud IMHO it would look sweet with matte black.

If you jeep destroying carbon rims maybe look at the roval traverse 29mm internal width aluminium they look light.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can't say exactly but when I got the gauge I pumped it up to what I thought was good at it was only 15psi. I'm running 26psi in the rear now and it feels as hard as concrete to me.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well I'm not sure, all I know is what I thought was about right was way too low and I have destroyed 2 rims. I am confident that the new pressure gauge is spot on and I have compared it with a mates gauge too. It feels rock hard with the squeeze test but I have not noticed much if any difference in the way the bike rides, its not obvious anyway.

teK--

Eats Squid
I think the squeeze test is deceptive particularly with some tyres that have reinforced tyrewalls. With dual ply tyres forget even trying.

I also run 26 in the rear. When I was running 24 I still burped on some trails with my 30mm internal rims. As result of burping some air out I then got a pinch flat. Since running 26 no problems at all with burping or flats. It is very firm when I squeeze it but then again so is the front at 22.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had a little problem with my pedals

Just ordered 2 pairs of Nukeproof Electron Evo composite pedals, only problem now is deciding on which colour.

In other news I have decided to build a second wheelset for this bike. Lots of the stuff I ride is rocky as hell and the current wheels are great for that but I also like to ride some very smooth trials with virtually no rocks. I also like to do some big rides on this bike too, I will probably do another 100km enduro next year.

The plan is a pair of Nextie 27mm carbon XC rims, DT Aerolite spokes, brass nipples and DT 240s hubs running a pair of tubeless Ikon's. I estimate at least 0.8kg weight savings over the current wheels, maybe more which should be nice on the more XC style trails.

crim 87

Likes Dirt
how are the wheels holding up ?? no dramas ?? can they take the more aggressive trails rocky stuff ?? decent jumps and a few cases here and there ??

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
how are the wheels holding up ?? no dramas ?? can they take the more aggressive trails rocky stuff ?? decent jumps and a few cases here and there ??
With the correct pressure they are fine, if you read back through the thread you will see I had some issues but it turned out I was only running 15psi in the rear. I now run 18psi front and 26psi rear.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
You wouldn't have been running around the nato this arvo mate?

Bike looks familiar

crim 87

Likes Dirt
With the correct pressure they are fine, if you read back through the thread you will see I had some issues but it turned out I was only running 15psi in the rear. I now run 18psi front and 26psi rear.

cheers mate scrolled back through after i posted damn 15psi is pretty low would have been fairly squirmy