scariest thing that has happened at your work

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This one happened to my mate, he was in new zealand working as the manager of the nz equivelant of harvey norman. He finished work for the night, locked up and drove home.
What he didnt know was he had been followed, he was just unlocking the door when he was hit over the head and dragged into the car and put in the boot.

They drove him back to his work and forced him to open the doors all at gun point, they proceeded to back a van up to the back and fill it with stock, the whole time my mate had a gun right against his head. The thieves finished and drove of leaving him there, he promptly locked himself in the shop and called the cops.

He quit the next day and moved to the gold coast.

L14M

Likes Bikes
Slightly similar but not at work... driving through Earlwood years ago, a car pulls out in front of me and cuts me off then screeches to a stop outside a little corner store.... Im waiting behind thinking you cock !!

A guy runs out of the shop followed by 2 other guys wrestling a rifle...I duck a bit while the first guy gets in the car and the car takes off.
I decide to chase them in the old V8 VB commodore, they were in a turbo VL.
We are starsky and hutchin down this street in earlwood as fast as the cars would go... and get towards a T junction and slow up.
I sit back about 50 metres with head kept low incase they have another gun on board....
They take off around the corner and by the time I get to the corner I have lost sight of them.
Im literally 2 mins from the cop shop so race down there... lock the car up with a huge skid on the wrong side of the road infront of the cop shop and race inside telling the guy what Ive just witnessed..
"Havnt heard anything on the radio.." he says... duh !!!!
Finally a report comes in of an overturned vehicle and another that colided with it and its rego matches what I told the cop..

"Come on lets go !" he says and we jump in the patrol car and race off to the scene of the collision and im thinking this is way cool....

Turns out the car paniced when chased and as they turned the next corner once i lost them, he lost control of the car and put it into a van at speed, putting the van on its side and a passenger of the commodore through the windscreen.... the others took flight.
They get the dogs down there and locate the other guys, so we now head up to the shop itself.

Turns out the thief threatened the shop owner with the rifle asking to empty the till.
The old guy who owned the shop pulled the money draw out and smashed the thief over the head with it causing him to drop the rifle.
The old guy picked up the rifle and was going to shoot the thief but his eldest son jumped on him saying you cant shoot him....
The thiei bolts for the car and the father and son follow out of the shop with the son wrestling the dad to stop him shooting the thief.... pure gold !
Whoa great story !!

This one is more funny rather than scary

I work at woolies and this guy I USED to work with thought he would be uber cool and make an announcement on the store P.A

It went like this "Hey everyone TOM'S A FAGGOT!! HE'S A FAGGOT!" (Tom is another guy I work with)

He was told to go home in which he ran down the fruit section jumping up and down yelling "Yay! I get to go home!"

he was let go. (let go is such a incorrect word) :)

But nothing scary yet besides big darren in the lunch room :p

Had to do some maintenance to a valve at the bottom of a 8m deep sewer pit.

Anyone who has worked in sewers probably knows that there is strict access protocols (confined space entry) to work in pits, so I tested the air and down I went all safely harnessed and roped.

I put in an inflatable plug into the pipe to stop the sewer flow, had isolated other valves upstream as well. Did the job, and started to remove the inflatable plug.

Slowly letting air out of the plug, I expected that there would not be too much liquid behind it, but I was wrong. The plug was in a PVC pipe, and when the air pressure got low, it let go in a big way, all 15kg of plug blasting out of the pipe and hitting me full on in the left leg. Oh Sh1t I thought, broken leg, but that was the least of my problems....

The pit filled rapidly with sewage and I quickly started to climb the ladder with one leg. I got to the point where I the poo was over my head, and the guys on the rope above started hauling fast.

I was pulled / floated to the top of the pit and hauled over the edge and quickly taken to hospital......

Sort of funny - the hospital staff didn't want to touch me all covered in crap. But eventually I was given the green light to go home.

Left leg is still numb to this day and the knee is week :(

crazy-man

Likes Dirt
a fella i worked with cut his hand off just above the wrist. was hanging by just a piece of skin. didn't get to see it first hand. but kind of glad i didn't.

Morgan123

Likes Dirt
Had to do some maintenance to a valve at the bottom of a 8m deep sewer pit.

Anyone who has worked in sewers probably knows that there is strict access protocols (confined space entry) to work in pits, so I tested the air and down I went all safely harnessed and roped.

I put in an inflatable plug into the pipe to stop the sewer flow, had isolated other valves upstream as well. Did the job, and started to remove the inflatable plug.

Slowly letting air out of the plug, I expected that there would not be too much liquid behind it, but I was wrong. The plug was in a PVC pipe, and when the air pressure got low, it let go in a big way, all 15kg of plug blasting out of the pipe and hitting me full on in the left leg. Oh Sh1t I thought, broken leg, but that was the least of my problems....

The pit filled rapidly with sewage and I quickly started to climb the ladder with one leg. I got to the point where I the poo was over my head, and the guys on the rope above started hauling fast.

I was pulled / floated to the top of the pit and hauled over the edge and quickly taken to hospital......

Sort of funny - the hospital staff didn't want to touch me all covered in crap. But eventually I was given the green light to go home.

Left leg is still numb to this day and the knee is week :(
Holy shit (no pun intended) that's pretty farked, how long has it been since u did it?

{ScarFace}

Likes Dirt
unloading a jammed rifle, for it to go off in my hands and put a hole through the wall next to me.

grinding some steel in the work shop. for only a massive flame behind me and the roof catch on fire, as some dead shit dumb fuck who is now sacked, decided it would be a good idea to dump 5kg of old gun powder into the bin in a fuckin machineing work shop.....
Where do you work?

FLE

Likes Dirt
working in a groceries department a few years back, had a cable and pulley system snapp behind me. naturally i ducked and thought "where the hell did that go?. found it a couple weeks later, the puylley went through 3 boxes of stock that no one ever buys (for some reason there was a big rush for it :confused:

Barrington

Likes Dirt
At maccas, my boss attempted to eat as many cheeseburgers as possible, he managed to guzzle like 30 cheeseburgers I think in like 15 or so minutes. Thats pretty scary for his health, and that would have been a huge mc'shit at the end.

'Ross

Eats Squid
Not scary, two funny instances of people trying to rob my workplaces:

1- Workin at Pizza Hut, me and a couple of others just chilling at about 10.30pm, place is completely dead, we are just talking shit and drinking cokes....I had left the back gate open, then there is a gate to the actual building, then a long corridor to a door, I always leave it all open because its quite difficult to access and you wouldn't know anything is open unless you came in and looked for yourself.

Anyways...I walk out back to take a piss and I see this figure moving down towards the toilet which is in the very back section not near anything at all, I assume it was just one of us so I go back and everyone is still sitting down drinking cokes. I ask 'who was that dude going to the toilet' and then the penny drops and everyone realises there is an intruder. This is pretty big excitement to us and nothing interesting ever really happens....I grab a big dough hook, my mate grabs a knife and we run out back all fired up.

As we get there the shifty dude is just at the door (probably realised there is nothing back there besides a toilet) he then absolutely shits himself and runs right out to the back roller door which is 3/4 closed and dives face first onto the concrete and belly slides under the roller door. We open the door and hes already rounding the next block still shitting himself obviously. Not a lot of action in that story but the dive onto concrete was one of the most desperate and hilarious things I've seen, also would have been pretty funny to see me chasing him wielding a dough hook:p

'Ross

Eats Squid
2- This happened on the weekend, also no action just a funny thing we reviewed on our cameras at work.

Two fully sick characters ran out of the shop with heads in their shirts trying to hide faces from the cameras, this was pretty odd and nothing out of the ordinary had happened so we had a look on the cameras.

Turns out these two guys came in, trying to hide from the cameras at every moment and started creeping around the door to the back dock...little did they know there were 2 workers next to the dock door smoking. They go into the dock to attempt to steal shit, but one pokes his head outside to where the workers were, they don't even notice but the 2 fully sicks shit themselves anyway and sprint out of the store with heads in shirts...probably the most amateur operation I've seen in a long time, managed to steal nothing, alert nobody, and be chased out by nobody....but all in the most ridiculous manner, and we got their faces clearly on camera in a few different angles anyway:p

Joy

Likes Dirt
2 and we got their faces clearly on camera in a few different angles anyway:p
God I love great security footage. At my work we have a "best of" folder with all the best bits.
We had an old dude in the other day taking upskirt photos of female customers. You can see him so clearly on the footage. Unfortunately the cops didn't really seem to care, I guess they have bigger fish to fry.

Busting shop lifters, busting people who change price tags, rejecting refund requests from shit customers and kicking people out of the store who are being difficult are daily practices for me.

A customer gave me her business card at work and her name was "Elizabeth Lemon". No joke. Anyone's who seen 30 Rock will realise the significance of this.

smiff123

Likes Dirt
God I love great security footage.
Amen to that.
At my maccas there is footage of one of our managers jumping out of the drive through window and chasing a car down the street for throwing a cheese burger at him.

And another one of the same guy pulling a mouthy customer over the counter and pining him on the ground haha.

Joy

Likes Dirt
Amen to that.
At my maccas there is footage of one of our managers jumping out of the drive through window and chasing a car down the street for throwing a cheese burger at him.

And another one of the same guy pulling a mouthy customer over the counter and pining him on the ground haha.
Hahah awesome. We've got this one great clip of one of the staff dragging a shoplifter across the floor, then getting smashed in the nuts. Then the shoplifter starts running away before getting knocked to the ground by 4 cops

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
scare @ work

My current job, Alumina Refinery Operator...while doing a pump swap one day where I was at the discharge end and had called the control room on the radio to start the pump, they started the pump at too high a speed and the discharge pipe just near me blew out on a weld. A couple of hundred litres of 90 degree strong caustic sprayed out but missed me and another guy..

CHEWY

Eats Squid
While working as a motorcycle mechanic I was testing the starting system on a bike, being lazy I shorted the two starter solenoid terminals to see if it was a dodgy solenoid. Meanwhile I have the battery fast charging right below the starter solenoid which is letting off plenty of hydrogen gas.
Obviously my "testing" of the solenoid let off a few sparks which ignited the hydrogen. the battery went off like a gunshot and sprayed battery acid absolutely everywhere but on me, and I was standing beside it. I didn't get a drop on me but I had to take all the other bikes outside to wash the acid off!