SCHWALBE TYRES MEGATHREAD: read this thread before posting new ones

el~rio

Likes Dirt
Found http://bicycling.com/blogs/thestraightdirt/tag/schwalbe-racing-ralph/

Ibike3_Schwalbe.jpg

Schwalbe revamped its Racing Ralph for 2012 with a new knob arrangement that offers a more consistent feel while transitioning from the center knobs to the side tread. A more supple 127 TPI casing replaces the old 67 TPI design, which allows its engineers to utilize a shorter knob height yet keep the same amount of traction. The overall result is a tire that Schwalbe says has 20 percent less rolling resistance and weighs 30 grams less than its predecessor. It’ll be available this fall in 26-inch and 29-inch sizes, including tubulars.

el~rio

Likes Dirt
On a slightly different and off topic (sorry) note has anyone tried their cyclocross or road tires?

LurvsMTB

Likes Bikes
Schwalbe Tyre Width

Gday all... am looking at some new boots for summer...

I traditionally use Ignitors - pretty versatile and reliable. However, am looking at the Rocket Rons for something different and there have been some pretty good reviews re their performance.

Question I had was the tyre width the Rockets. 2.1 on the Ignitors are quite narrow compared to other 2.1s... So are the 2.1 Rocket Rons a narrow or fat 2.1 tyre... if on the narrow side, I will go with the 2.25s.

Thanks for any help.

fergo

Likes Dirt
I did the same thing on my front. Ignitor off and Rocket Ron EVO on and havent looked back. I originally went 2.1, but the last pair I bought are 2.25 (yet to go on). Extra width gives extra grip. My times around the Wombat loop dropped over 5 minutes, purely due to the tyres and extra cornering confidence.

Tyre width is measured at the extremites. 2.1 RaRa's have smaller bag than 2.1 Crossmarks as the knobs are longer and hence the Crossmarks looks like a fat 2.1 compared to RaRa. Crossmarks are good dry tyres for that reason - small knobs.

kv1973

Likes Dirt
Yeah the 2.1 are a bit narrow. I'd go 2.25 if I were you.

Secondly you might find the Rons a bit soft in rubber compound compared to the ignitors. I reckon the Ralphs are a better all-round tyre - just read the reviews.

LurvsMTB

Likes Bikes
I did the same thing on my front. Ignitor off and Rocket Ron EVO on and havent looked back. I originally went 2.1, but the last pair I bought are 2.25 (yet to go on). Extra width gives extra grip. My times around the Wombat loop dropped over 5 minutes, purely due to the tyres and extra cornering confidence.

Tyre width is measured at the extremites. 2.1 RaRa's have smaller bag than 2.1 Crossmarks as the knobs are longer and hence the Crossmarks looks like a fat 2.1 compared to RaRa. Crossmarks are good dry tyres for that reason - small knobs.
Thanks Fergo, I think you've answered by question re width.. I could never work out where the width was taken from, ie, the bag width total tyre width.

After your experience with the Ralphs, am looking forward to rolling around on 'em.

Thanks for the other comments

Cheers

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Historically been a skinny tyre boy 2.0/2.1 front and 1.9 rear and at times have found the fronts to be a little excitable. Swapped last week to 2.25 racing ralphs and wow grip was friggen awesome, would be sticking with the slightly wider 2.25 if I was going to stay on a 26inch bike but about to get on the band wagon of a 29er, not sure what worth I will run play time will determine that. Just waiting for it to be built up. Hurry up ROSS!

quiggs

B Man

Likes Dirt
maxxis minions or schwalbe muddy marys

hey guys, okay so i live in Far north Queensland in cairns, and i need some help with my tire choice. the local downhill tracks here are great but the conditions of them are quite all over the place. it goes from hardpack to super loose dusty dirt to rocks to roots to slipperly rainforest leaf litter, etc etc, and thats just in one track. so ive been running maxxis minions for the whole time ive been riding, but im finding as my riding skills progress im finding more little things that i can change to improve a bit more. anyway im finding that the maxxis minions arent doing it for me anymore, i just find that i dont have the sticky grip that i did when i was more inexperienced and riding alot slower.
so im thinking about chucking on some schwalbe muddy marys because ive heard some good things about them, that there alot better with all terrain tracks, anyway i would just some some people to voice there opinions on which they think this better, blah blah blah.

so basically the question is, what tire is better for FNQ condtions. the maxxis minion or the schwalbe muddy mary?

rstwosix

Likes Dirt
Blah blah blah alright. Tha Minion isn't doing it for you anymore? How come it does it for more DH riders (including World Cup champions) than any other tyre in the world? The Muddy Mary is a very good tyre (on par with the Minion), but i don't think it's going to perform miracles. They also cost a fortune (around $90). If you do buy some, go with 2.35 as it's wider than a 2.5 Minion.

kgunzer

Likes Dirt
I don't really know how you find Minions insufficient for your handling but I think you just need to improve your choice of lines.

Comparing the two price wise, Schwalbe Muddy Ms are more expensive than the comparable Maxxis Swamp Thing. There is a similarly Schwalbe tyre to match Maxxis so what I'm saying is you're comparing a pear with an apple.

Tyre compound is also a point of comparison. Also a tyre's setup on yourbike will make an impact on how much you can get out of its design. I do hope there are still sufficient knob blocks to grip the dirt.

D_Nine

Mmmm Iheard of this bloke once, I think his name was Danny Hart? Pretty sure he smoked everyone in some little race awhile back.Now what was he on ? Oh that's right Schwalbe tyres ! All jokes aside my mates and I have had quite a bit of success with Muddy Mary's but do prefer the Big Betty, the tackiest ones you can get.Grip really well and roll super fast.Oh and if only one tyre was the best why do we have so many brands and styles ? Just because it works for some does not mean it works for everyone.Trust me otherwise I wouldn't have a pile of tyres I've only used a couple of times sitting in the back of the garage !!

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Schwalbe Nobby Nic tubeless setup?

Just wondering if it's possible to run a standard Nobby Nic 26 x 2.25 with Stans sealant as a tubeless set-up? Does this work or do I need to buy the super expensive (and very hard to find) UST version?

Thanks

Propagate

Likes Dirt
Depends on the model year I think? All current schwalbes are tubeless ready I believe? I'm running a 2011 nic and Ralph as tubeless even though they are not the UST ones and they are great, even said "tubeless ready" on the box. Head to schwalbe website, if I remember rightly, they list which models are tubeless ready.

sukebe

Likes Dirt
As long as your rims can take tubeless (I run Mavic 819s) then any tyre can be used using sealant (currently use Nobbys but have used Crossmakrs in the ast, neither were UST-specific). The only issue might be side wall holes if you are using old tyres. I only ever use new when going tubeless as you then don't have to worry about messing about trying to seal all the little sidewall holes. Its also a bit of PITA and messy so you don't want to have to do it too often

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Thanks for the replies, I just went ahead and purchased some new 2011 Nobby Nic Evos, so I'll give them a go as my rims are already set up for tubeless.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Should be fine mate, I run tubeless/non use minions, it's more about the rims than the tyres usually..
So did you sell your Glory?

Rob_Storey

Cannon Fodder
Im running the Schwalbe Ultremo ZX 23mm on my roadie - and am loving them. Came over from michelin pro race 3's previously. I think the cut resistance in the centre of the tread is far superior to the michies. Cornering feels similar to the pro race 3's (admitedly im not up for pushing the limits of the roadie through corners - dont enjoy being torn open by the tarmac).

hope this helps.

You guys have convinced me to give roro/rara combo a go on my mtb. ;-)

Robbie

Knut

Troll hunter
The king is dead, long live the new king

Since swapping the Contis to the Ralphs I have not looked back. Better in all aspects.