scott 24hr 2008

akashra

Eats Squid
I wish I had time for four hours of riding every day.
Get a job 40km from where you live and ride to work. Great way to save time as you'd spend that time commuting anyway. Total time lost - about 30 minutes/day total.

akashra

Eats Squid
No, I ride more like 200-400km/week, varying.

But there's still no way in hell I could do a solo 24 hour.

akashra

Eats Squid
...And I would suggest you've just summed up the reason right there, rather than any training plan you might have ;)

Cheers
Gonz
I don't quite follow what you're getting at, but there's a training plan, and I'm not commuting every day... I just don't have the base and core strength for that kind of riding. I've only been riding for <18 months so have these puny undeveloped legs :)

Sekt

Likes Dirt
Get a job 40km from where you live and ride to work. Great way to save time as you'd spend that time commuting anyway. Total time lost - about 30 minutes/day total.
Unfortunately a new job has meant that my previously epic descent/ascent 2km commute has become about 700m of flat. At least I get to sleep in longer, right?

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do you mean that you have to be f*$%ed in the head to attempt a solo 24 hour?? ;);)
Get yourself the DVD 'SOLO 24HR'... you're talking about guys ending up in hospital with muscle wastage, extreme dehydration, etc etc!!

I'd suggest getting a team of 2 or 3 together and doing the next 8 hour race and then going for a team of 5 for the 24 hour!

Sekt

Likes Dirt
The thing about enduros is that you can pace yourself however you want. There's no one out there with a whip, giving you hell if you're not putting in back-to-back laps. You can quite easily take it at your own pace.

That said, solo is for nutters, give me a team any day! Haha.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
I don't quite follow what you're getting at, but there's a training plan, and I'm not commuting every day... I just don't have the base and core strength for that kind of riding. I've only been riding for <18 months so have these puny undeveloped legs :)
Riding any ultra endurance race is nearly 100% mental attitude. if you really want it, you can! nearly anyone can ride any distance or any time if they ride smart, train smart and put their mind to it. Sure, on your first go you might not ride the whole time but it's usually only the very elite that do. If riding a Solo 24 is something you really want to do, first believe that you can, and then set the goals to get there, even if your first go includes allowing yourself to sleep for a period.

It doesn't matter what the actual distance or time is, Walking away from your first solo 24hr knowing you've just ridden longer and further than you ever have before is an increadible feeling. And regardless of your skill and fitness, I strongly feel getting there is a journey in tenacity and determination, starting with the words "I can ride a solo 24"

...anyway I'll get off my soap box now.

Cheers
Gonz

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
Riding any ultra endurance race is nearly 100% mental attitude. if you really want it, you can! nearly anyone can ride any distance or any time if they ride smart, train smart and put their mind to it. Sure, on your first go you might not ride the whole time but it's usually only the very elite that do. If riding a Solo 24 is something you really want to do, first believe that you can, and then set the goals to get there, even if your first go includes allowing yourself to sleep for a period.

It doesn't matter what the actual distance or time is, Walking away from your first solo 24hr knowing you've just ridden longer and further than you ever have before is an increadible feeling. And regardless of your skill and fitness, I strongly feel getting there is a journey in tenacity and determination, starting with the words "I can ride a solo 24"

like Craig says it depends on your goals/intentions... i went to the 24 solo this year at easter knowing too well i didnt have the fitness, however went for the experience mostly....ended up riding for bout 15th hrs, slept a bit and watched a bit to see how the others do it...was a good learning experience...

met a few from here who are ok guys :), others were a bit arrogant... :confused:

next year intend to go back with a greater level of fitness and improve.....:)

thepotatokid

Likes Dirt
...even if your first go includes allowing yourself to sleep for a period...
You crazy man - I did a six hour recently and had to have a few little stops. I couldn't even begin to imagine not sleeping in a 24hr race.

But I agree with you - even just riding 6hrs was enough of a sense of achievement. Think I might step up for 12hrs next time, but 24 is a little way off I reckon...

DaGonz

Eats Squid
I wouldn't recommend it mate, its a LOT harder than you think
So? What's the worst that can happen? he bites of more than he can chew and has a break for a while. If it was easy, everyone would do it... the really long enduros are hard for so many reasons. Getting your food right, keeping your mind focussed and your bike working and that's even before you start talking fitness and pacing. Some people seem to nail it after 1 or 2 goes! others take a few more

I wouldn't discourage anyone that wants to do a time based Enduro solo ( 6, 8, 12, 24hr or whatever) You just have to be realistic with your goals, understand that it is hard and train appropriately! Talk to professionals (coaches etc...) and punters alike and get as much info as you can and take it on. You might like to take it on in steps, attacking it with smaller races first, but many have taken the baptism by fire approach and have succeded so I wouldn't completely denounce that idea either.

For most of us, endurance racing is, and always will be a personal challenge. Only a small handfull get the limelight and the glory. But take it on and give it a go, and you become a member of a very exclusive club; those that have vs those that can't even comprehend.

Cheers
Gonz