SCUM 30/60/90 December 12: Nowra

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
i know someone alredy asked if the course is smooth enought for a hardtail?? I have a duallie that weights the same as the HT so it is a bit hard to decide which bike to bring. Not sure if the single track will kill my lower back when doing my second lap?? I only race the HT in races such as the fling, dirt works etc (firetrails).. Any suggestion is much appreaciated.

cheers
Defo hardtail. Its very fling / DW / 3Ring style.

Scum 15/30/60/90

Just a quick note that the SCUM website has been updated with latest details on this race and a rider list. Seems like the weather will behave itself in order for us to hold this race. 81 online entries with more people to register on the day. If you want to ride in the 90 and have not registered we may not be able to help you as that was for online entries only and that avenue of entry has expired. If you are riding, please bring your own water. We will have water at race central, but it is a standby supply for those that run out. It will be hot in the bush so be mindful of your water intake.
More details on the race flyer here

Cheers

Kel, Club SEC/TRES,

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
Lookin forward to this, first hit out since that race in Canberra in October, hope the weather gods stay kind. :cool
And it even looks like a top 3 finish for me in the 90 shweet!

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Defo hardtail. Its very fling / DW / 3Ring style.
Was out there today... Think I need to run the 35mm tyres rather than the 32mm semi slicks I was on today (although they worked well on the sand!) but it should be fine for the crosser (although to be honest I missed most of thte single track)

Of course unlike Ants... I'm not planning on being up amongst it :)

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If its anything like Sydney down in Nowra I'd say there is a risk of the plug being pulled for hot weather - its brutal outside atm

(hint hint nudge nudge, please postpone - I've got some viral thing [no, not a hangover, a reall illness] and have been laid up on the couch for 4 days now :(:(:(:(:(

struggles

Likes Dirt
If its anything like Sydney down in Nowra I'd say there is a risk of the plug being pulled for hot weather - its brutal outside atm

(hint hint nudge nudge, please postpone - I've got some viral thing [no, not a hangover, a reall illness] and have been laid up on the couch for 4 days now :(:(:(:(:(
Nice SE breeze and the temp has dropped by about 8 degrees.:)

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Weather forecast of 26deg max with late showers tomorrow from weatherzone.com.au

Sounds great. I've even gotten serious and taken the crappy Mountain Kings off the singlespeed!

Newton

Likes Dirt
Looking forward to the event, always well run, last years race was on a reasonably hot day, as the event is looping past the start finish every 30kms, you can refill/replace bottles or fill hydration packs :eek:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a great ride today. First time trying a race on the SS. I don't think I'll do it again. While I enjoyed the challenge, one of my knees is a little sore now and I haven't had that before. And that was with easy gearing!

The track was excellent except for that one section where I thought to myself "geez there is hardly any deep sand on this course" and about 3 minutes later I hit the gradual climb up through the deep sand stretch! Everyone on the track seemed really relaxed* and having a good time, although I was at the back of the group. Passing or being passed wasn't a problem. There might have been a few roadies out today with some congestion around some of the small branches or logs, but otherwise, there was not really anything technical about the loop. It was just a good fun loop.

Thanks to everyone involved in organising and running the day, especially considering the amazing entry fee! Great work.

*One bloke was giving it to his partner pretty bad before the race and when I caught them near the end of the loop he was having another tantrum while she nursed a possible broken collar bone. :mad:

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
I had a great ride today. First time trying a race on the SS. I don't think I'll do it again. While I enjoyed the challenge, one of my knees is a little sore now and I haven't had that before. And that was with easy gearing!

The track was excellent except for that one section where I thought to myself "geez there is hardly any deep sand on this course" and about 3 minutes later I hit the gradual climb up through the deep sand stretch! Everyone on the track seemed really relaxed* and having a good time, although I was at the back of the group. Passing or being passed wasn't a problem. There might have been a few roadies out today with some congestion around some of the small branches or logs, but otherwise, there was not really anything technical about the loop. It was just a good fun loop.

Thanks to everyone involved in organising and running the day, especially considering the amazing entry fee! Great work.

*One bloke was giving it to his partner pretty bad before the race and when I caught them near the end of the loop he was having another tantrum while she nursed a possible broken collar bone. :mad:
*That pair was pretty amusing.

You riding the SS Anthem? Our crew of four SS 60km riders all rode together, had great fun. Thank SCUM and Kel.

- Joel

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
Once again SCUM you made the trip down well worthwhile, thanks for a great day out. The table of food at the finish definitely hit the spot. Even got my first ever race win. Only downside was the abominable traffic headin home.
And thanks to the weather gods for near perfect conditions!

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Once again SCUM you made the trip down well worthwhile, thanks for a great day out. The table of food at the finish definitely hit the spot. Even got my first ever race win. Only downside was the abominable traffic headin home.
And thanks to the weather gods for near perfect conditions!
Yep I had a great day out. Every one was friendly, the tracks were good. But the worst part was being stuck in the car with sore legs driving slower then I was riding that day. But it was all good.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Not my best day with not even making the start! Shifter packed it in just before the start. Thanks to all who tried to get it working again and yes... I accept that not manning up and riding it SS (on the cross) in 42:11 was a failure of courage on my part.

Actually had I driven from Sydney then I may have made a bit more of an effort to get the SS thing happening but as I was staying 5 mins down the road I gave up and went for a swim (brrrrrr) instead :)

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Not my best day with not even making the start! Shifter packed it in just before the start. Thanks to all who tried to get it working again and yes... I accept that not manning up and riding it SS (on the cross) in 42:11 was a failure of courage on my part.

Actually had I driven from Sydney then I may have made a bit more of an effort to get the SS thing happening but as I was staying 5 mins down the road I gave up and went for a swim (brrrrrr) instead :)
We washed the mud off in the ocean (pacific) which SCUM put just down the road. A fantastic way to end the day.

Pizzaz, your cable winding pawl is probably sitting on a broken pivot. This happens a lot with Shimano 105 LH triple shifters. The good thing about yours is that it's easier to pull apart, by a long margin.

- Joel

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
We washed the mud off in the ocean (pacific) which SCUM put just down the road. A fantastic way to end the day.

Pizzaz, your cable winding pawl is probably sitting on a broken pivot. This happens a lot with Shimano 105 LH triple shifters. The good thing about yours is that it's easier to pull apart, by a long margin.

- Joel
Ta - got a red shifter at home with the same problem.. The ratchet in the shift mechanism dies (breaks off). Allegedly rebuildable (for red at least) but finding the parts is proving to be a challenge. It's been flakey for a while now but was hoping it would last out the week :( oh well.

powermutant

Likes Dirt
Not the best day

4:30am wake up. Get up, go back to bed with thoughts of an extra hour's sleep and 30 less km, get up 2 minutes later. Casual drive down. Kill 1000 mozzies before borrowing some bugspray.

Line up at the 7am start, let the pack go for about 2 seconds, before deciding that sucking wheel is better only for everyone to almost miss the first marker and get hard on the anchors. Guy in front and on the left turns right, I'm into his back wheel and down.

Some scrapes, tangled chain, ripped grips, twisted seat. Knee has landed on the only fixed pebble in the vicintiy and put a 10cm gash into the side; bend it and see no blood but lots of white. Stand there for a bit before walking back to the rego tent to sign up for the 60km.

Think about it some more, pack up, drive past riders winding through the singletrack, past Nowra and Wollongong hospital to my go-to stich-up-shop at Bulli and its 10 minute turn-around time. Triage nurse gives it a clean out, says a few stiches, and then I wait ... for 4 hours before going home and taping it shut with some resi-strips.

And so started the first day of my holiday. Still learining lessons at 40. One day I'll give this xc game away and stick to safer sports like dh.

Last edited:

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah that was me.
Hi, I was the guy chatting to you on the start line from Townsville.

Had a great ride. Really enjoyed the trails, even found the funny side of a huge OTB at the top of the skinny over the big tree, just after the check point close to the finish. Was loving the fear rush that came from comitting to an A line, all the while having no clue what to expect.

Think that was where the girl broke her collarbone.

Big thumbs up to the organisers for a great way to finish my riding holiday.:)