Seasucker Talon Review

Calvin27

Eats Squid
So I was looking for a roof rack solution for my car and didn't want to fork out more than a set of rebas. Some friendly forum prodding led me to Seasucker talons.

So first things first. They are a suction cup. People don't trust these things and neither did I. I read all the reviews and couldn't find any cases of bikes falling off. Then another forum member (not RB) pulled the trigger and raved about it so I was good to go. You can get these is 1,2,3 bike varieties but I picked the single as I mostly drive myself (or use my mates cars), I can also fit a second bike with back seats down if I really needed it. so the compact single talon was my choice.

Next up the purchase, I went through amazon because they were cheapest ($280 @ 96c exchange rate) I also picked up a 15mm adaptor while I was at it (not included). The adaptor decision is pretty important. Originally I was going to buy the 15mm plate that screws on but seeing I have a few QR bikes, I decided on the QR version with additional adaptor. It was a good choice in hindsight because firstly the adaptor means I have one extra degree of freedom to pivot around the QR.The second is because the actual plate that mounts to the other plate is a bitch to get on and I would hate to have to change it every time.

So here it is:
small all.jpg

the first impressions are good. The QR lock is firm and has a massive cam. The whole unit is well built and sturdy. The only drawback was the suckers looked like they had been in storage and there was a lot of dust on them. I know the risk of a dirty surface and suction cups so I cleaned them briefly with water. The kit comes with 3 suckers on the main pod, a rear sucker, a spare sucker, instructions and lube.

The suckers:The rear sucker has a strap for the wheel but is pretty crap designed. You can pay more for a slightly curved version that holds the wheel better but there is a 1/4 screw at the top that I plan on using for a DIY bracket. the others are pre mounted to the main plate and the spare is just the same thing without the strap.
small back strap.jpg

The main plate has 3 suckers and held with a 1/4 bolt each sucker. There are notches to make sure it holds really firm. Don't mind the marks, it's just the camera flash, it is actually a good finish.
small talon.jpg

So now chuck it on the car!
They tell you to mount it on clean surfaces so I did a crap job of wiping it and chucked them on. To get them on you press down and then start pumping the thing. It seats soon and it very strong. I am still not convinced at this stage because I know vibration and loss of pressure are the worrying factors here.
I put one on the suckers in the front pod on the glass initially just to test out. Unfortunately my car has really flimsy roof so I was worried it would distort my roof. It didn't but on the way there I did chuck it on the glass just to reduce the load a bit.
small car mount front.jpg

Because of the flimsy roof problem I was also reserved about the single back sucker. So I wedged it onto the shark fin. It made an some concerning noises but didn't do damage. On the way back I used the rear the normal way (with wheel on top of the sucker) and it was a ok.
small car mount rear.jpg

So I took this baby all the way from Melb CBD to Buxton and no issues. I got a few concerned looks on the freeway but all was good. There was no damage whatsoever to my car and it all held together. However on the way home one of the front suckers lost a bit of pressure (still holding strong though - you can see the indicator). I put this down to an unclean surface and proceeded to clean the thing with a full strip down (easy to do and recommended periodically) It's now the strongest sucker of them all so I'd probably recommend some prior cleaning of all the suckers due to the possible issue of dust from storage.

The only criticisms I have are:
- That my car has a flimsy roof. This is the most wobbly roof of all cars I have ever owned.
- The absolutely shit back sucker (although it didn't actually 'drop' the wheel) which can be fixed with a cheap bit of plastic. How hard is it to add a bracket and not charge $20 extra for it?!!
- The cranks can hit the roof. It didn't on mine but I noticed this was possible so some Velcro was added to the kit.
- No lock mechanism means you can't just leave it there.
- Dust from storage has caught a few people out (no lost bikes) so clean them first before you use them).

Pros:
- Versatile you can bring this and have it set up on virtually any car in minutes.
- Pretty reliable. I still get jittery but it hasn't let me down even with my spirited driving. Some guy on another forum has it on and 86 and they do rallies in the promo video so it works.
- Cheaper than and roof rack system with half the fuss.
- You could probably keep one as a spare rack in case you are 1 bike rack short.

Overall really happy with the product and would recommend to anyone who doesn't have a tow bar (tow solutions still rock I say but not forking out $1k for it).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Looks OK. Does the bike wobble around while mounted?

I think they stole this guys idea:
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?251729-33lb-Intense-M6/page2
I can't tell if it wobbles around at all because I am driving. I'll ask someone to tell me next time but it seemed to hold still. I initially wanted to just buy the suckers and mount it like the other dude (handle bar down) but in the end I calculated the centre of mass was actually higher on the rear - it works for him because it's a coupe.

I don't think I'll ever fully trust these things too but that's good. It means I am more diligent in checking and making sure it's all clean and solid pressure with no leaks. The other bonus is I can bring them on travels and use them on hire cars.

Last edited:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Update: It doesn't wobble. It is dead still - probably more so than the Proride racks that take the whole bike wheel on (clamped at downtube).

link1896

Mr Greenfield
@Calvin27 , are the seasuckers still going strong? a mate is about to buy a car that has no provisions for roof racks unless you drill and pop rivet to the roof sheet metal.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
@Calvin27 , are the seasuckers still going strong? a mate is about to buy a car that has no provisions for roof racks unless you drill and pop rivet to the roof sheet metal.
Still going strong. I use only 3 months ago finally got roof racks and use them as a spare now, but basically been using them consistently since I made this post. I did a pre-emptive grease once for all of the suckers during that time and that's it. Thy still look the goods and showing no real signs of wear. 5 years is not bad!

But on a side note, can't you just buy clamp type roof racks?

Jpez

Down on the left!
Hmmm... Good review but I'm still not convinced.....
How do they install huge sheets of glass on sky scrapers? With fancy versions of these.
I’ve been on crews cartying 200kg sheets on the ground with suckers with no issue.
But I know what you mean. Intellectually you know they will hold but when it’s fully responsible for hanging onto your pride and joy at 100 kph down the highway then it’s a different story.

I KNOW they will hold but I still couldn’t trust one with my bike.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I KNOW they will hold but I still couldn’t trust one with my bike.
To be honest I never got over the fear factor - I guess that made me more dilligent. But now I realise the fear factor is still there with roof racks as well. I think a hard bolted hitch mount would be the only way for me to feel safe, but no tow bar is no dice.

Jpez

Down on the left!
To be honest I never got over the fear factor - I guess that made me more dilligent. But now I realise the fear factor is still there with roof racks as well. I think a hard bolted hitch mount would be the only way for me to feel safe, but no tow bar is no dice.
Yeah my bike gets strapped down to my Ute tray. Doesn’t move an inch.
But when I travel with one of my mates Thule roof racks it freaks me out when I know the roof rack and bike holder are flexing around and swinging around up there.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
no roof rack rails or provisions on this fancy german car, and drilling such a fine car is beyond crazy.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Grave dig. Have you tried your rack vertically Calvin. I'm thinking these might a good solution to mounting bikes to the back of a van on barn style doors??

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Grave dig. Have you tried your rack vertically Calvin. I'm thinking these might a good solution to mounting bikes to the back of a van on barn style doors??
I haven't but I have recently acquired a car that is yet to get a tow bar so might give it a try. They do make other versions that are designed for a vertical glass plane but the design is somewhat different and it's not supporting the full weight of the bike (I think it's called seasucker falcon orsmething). My guess is that it would be ok since the talon has three suction cups which in my view is triple redundancy.

DMan

I haven't but I have recently acquired a car that is yet to get a tow bar so might give it a try. They do make other versions that are designed for a vertical glass plane but the design is somewhat different and it's not supporting the full weight of the bike (I think it's called seasucker falcon orsmething). My guess is that it would be ok since the talon has three suction cups which in my view is triple redundancy.
I'm thinking along the same lines as I don't want to fit a towbar.

Otherwise I'll get a Thule
https://www.thule.com/en-gb/au/van-...-ducato-citroen-jumper-peugeot-boxer-_-307340

Attachments

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Well I did it and it didn't fall off on the 7km drive to the local trail (paved easy roads). Forgot to take a pic but yeah she looks ok. Might have to go to a tow ball solution though, I've forgotten how annoying taking wheels off are!

DMan

Well I did it and it didn't fall off on the 7km drive to the local trail (paved easy roads). Forgot to take a pic but yeah she looks ok. Might have to go to a tow ball solution though, I've forgotten how annoying taking wheels off are!
You mounted it vertically then? Is that what mean?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
You mounted it vertically then? Is that what mean?
Had the three suckers on the rear window and one mounted lower on the bumper (that one didn't fit perfect and was a bit dicey). Bike stayed on. Looked a little more wobbly than usual but I guess nothing to compare to since I don't exactly look at it while it's on the roof.

DMan

Had the three suckers on the rear window and one mounted lower on the bumper (that one didn't fit perfect and was a bit dicey). Bike stayed on. Looked a little more wobbly than usual but I guess nothing to compare to since I don't exactly look at it while it's on the roof.
Once the suckers are on they really stick then? Ever had one let go? I could live with my bike falling off but if I lost my wife's Spark I may as well throw myself from the van....