Seasucker Talon Review

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Once the suckers are on they really stick then? Ever had one let go? I could live with my bike falling off but if I lost my wife's Spark I may as well throw myself from the van....
Whats wrong with your bike?

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I thought the van idea was to get the bikes inside?
It is. But for bigger/longer trips, it would be nice to have extra space for gear inside. Like the upcoming 24hr she's doing.

Everyone needs a new bike. What better excuse?
She wants a new bike AND her old bike..... And I bruise easily.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Ever had one let go?
I've had one let go. It still had suction but had lost a bit of air. Basically just needed a relube and has been working ever since. They are pretty serious things - i think they originated from those glass moving van suction cups so yeah work great but has to be a clean and smooth surface.

DMan

I've had one let go. It still had suction but had lost a bit of air. Basically just needed a relube and has been working ever since. They are pretty serious things - i think they originated from those glass moving van suction cups so yeah work great but has to be a clean and smooth surface.
Very tempted still. I really like the idea of not having to fix a rack to it even if I have to take the front wheels off

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Very tempted
Think about it. I like having mine as a spare option and when I used to drive a 2 door coupe. But the usage gets annoying.
  1. Front wheel off.
  2. Rag + water to wipe surface
  3. Stick the thing on and pump all the suckers
  4. Bike on.

Also you have to take it off when you're at that trail head or risk getting it stolen.

DMan

Think about it. I like having mine as a spare option and when I used to drive a 2 door coupe. But the usage gets annoying.
  1. Front wheel off.
  2. Rag + water to wipe surface
  3. Stick the thing on and pump all the suckers
  4. Bike on.
Also you have to take it off when you're at that trail head or risk getting it stolen.
Sigh. I hate practicality. Maybe I'll need to look at a Thule rack after all. The mounts glue to the door so I'm thinking once it's on it's on and difficult to get off without damaging paint. Might have to look into it a bit more

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Driving home with a bike held on by Seasuckers was not a relaxing experience. Constantly worried. Adding up bikes replacement value and the excess for car insurance on a claim. Not my idea of fun. But yes, they hold on like they are glued on, the sheet metal flexes when you push and pull the bike.

Mounting is a pita, but when you have no other options apart from bike in the boot with forks removed, it’s acceptable.

Car is now covered in mud that washed off the bike onto the roof of the car.

I modified mine and added a 15mm TA mount.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Driving home with a bike held on by Seasuckers was not a relaxing experience.
I believe it!!

I'd be stressed enough with a roof mount, not being able to see the bike, let alone a roof mount that's held on with rubber suction cups

I get that they're good, but that's definitely not my idea of fun

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I have seen heaps of road bikes carried with one of these, the lack of weight would be a massive advantage for the system, but if your roadie falls off and gets run over by a truck its no real loss, just funny for your fellow motorists nearby ;)
Im not convinced, I would still pull the down bike if I had to, than use one of these.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
“It’s Linda from the ATO here, we need to make an appointment with you to talk about the last five years of tax returns” is less stressful then using a seasucker I reckon, but if I’m going to ride for the next three weeks while I’m holidays , I have no other options.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
“It’s Linda from the ATO here, we need to make an appointment with you to talk about the last five years of tax returns” is less stressful then using a seasucker I reckon, but if I’m going to ride for the next three weeks while I’m holidays , I have no other options.

Maybe set up a little cosmetics mirror on your dashboard, angled so you can take a comfort glance back up at the bike !

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Opening the sunroof’s inner shade slider lets me see most of the bike.

It’s not a practicalities issue but entirely psych

After 40 mins of driving, reefing the bike around still flexes the roof sheet metal and makes the car rock ever so slightly.