Shane warne hates cyclists!!!

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
^^^^

I've seen one of those with a metallic burgundy finish. I like the shape, but shit has a better color.

ferrous oxide primary coat is what I wan't, touch and die :D

ADD

Likes Dirt
Can't really recall. 12 years of commuting is a lot of k's. I think on one occasion I may have been pulling up at the lights next to a car, unclipped one foot and ended up leaning the other way for one reason or another, leant against the persons bonnet to stop myself falling on the ground.
In my commuting experience over the past few years I've only had to touch cars out of necessity as well.
I recall one time a taxi driver opened his door in front of me. I had just enough time to slam his door shut on him as I swerved.
Another time I recall was also a taxi driver in a maxi cab too concerned with his phone. My road space was getting smaller and smaller as he approached the edge of the road and me the gutter. I hit the brakes just before my bike would've become a mangled mess. I lost my temper and chased him down putting a fist sized dent in his van. Glad I was wearing my mtb gloves.

pwadjo

Likes Bikes
So from what i can gather from the cyclist and witness' story is that Warne had pulled out into an intersection which already had traffic in it which wasn't moving, so that he didnt have to wait for another traffic light cycle. This is what causes congestion in cities, impatient wankers. Plus he was clearly too close to the car in front which is also not allowed. He then proceeded to deliberatly run into the cyclist and then left the scene.

Anyone else did this and were reported the old bill would be round your house before you even got home. The nazi Victoria police seem content fining you $250 when you are 3kmph over the speed limit so why hasn't this plastic faced cocksmoker been questioned?

As for the people complaining about cyclists being bad on the road and causing problem and not obeying the rules, get real.
If I said I know a black guy who is a thief therefore all black people are thieves how would that go for me? The real reason people in cars get fucked off at cyclists is that having cyclists around means that you actually need to concentrate on what you are doing and drivers dont like that much. Also, drivers get pretty annoyed seeing cyclist constantly passing them in traffic while sat in their big expensive cars.

ADD

Likes Dirt
So from what i can gather from the cyclist and witness' story is that Warne had pulled out into an intersection which already had traffic in it which wasn't moving, so that he didnt have to wait for another traffic light cycle. This is what causes congestion in cities, impatient wankers. Plus he was clearly too close to the car in front which is also not allowed. He then proceeded to deliberatly run into the cyclist and then left the scene.

Anyone else did this and were reported the old bill would be round your house before you even got home. The nazi Victoria police seem content fining you $250 when you are 3kmph over the speed limit so why hasn't this plastic faced cocksmoker been questioned?

As for the people complaining about cyclists being bad on the road and causing problem and not obeying the rules, get real.
If I said I know a black guy who is a thief therefore all black people are thieves how would that go for me? The real reason people in cars get fucked off at cyclists is that having cyclists around means that you actually need to concentrate on what you are doing and drivers dont like that much. Also, drivers get pretty annoyed seeing cyclist constantly passing them in traffic while sat in their big expensive cars.
Nail on the fuvking head

frensham

Likes Dirt

Brilliant. Accurate. Spot on.

brendonj

Likes Dirt
The problem is that there are good and bad car/bike/4WD/truck/taxi drivers and on top of that things happen and sometimes you have a bad day.
I do find the negative discussion about and labelling of cyclists a problem. It's almost a subtle form of discrimination. While Warnie and old mate had their tiff, across the country a couple people died in cars due to accidents (probably due to stupid / careless / risk taking driving - but I am not having a go at them - I say this with regret), there were probably a number of road rage incidents between car owners, a large number of small crashes between cars etc. But this little altercation is big news because their is a celebrity and a cyclist involved. And as a result again we get all this generalising and labelling about cyclists.

The bottom line is (IMO):
Cyclists have a right to use the road
Cyclists need to grow up and obey the road rules (general comment - not specific to this incident in any way) - because heaps don't and they are ruining for the rest of us
Nearly every bike on the road is one less car (drivers stuck in traffic need to remember this)
Nearly every bike on the road means a car sitting at home with rego paid, but not being used to cause wear and tear to the road and influencing traffic patterns that result in road capacity upgrade costs. I recon that if bike rego ever came in (not saying I want it to) then you should get 5 or more free with every car rego.

My $0.02

tomi_g

Likes Bikes
Regarding all this shit about touching someone's car: I was talking about touching it with your hand which I think is ok. Putting your bike shoes with cleats on the car is different thing but that wasn't alleged to have happened was it?

wombat

Lives in a hole
In my commuting experience over the past few years I've only had to touch cars out of necessity as well.
I recall one time a taxi driver opened his door in front of me. I had just enough time to slam his door shut on him as I swerved.
Well that's fair enough, but that's a matter of avoiding an accident, and one that sounds like it would have been caused by the driver not paying attention.

It's a very different case to using someone's car to push off because you got you tried to lane split and got yourself into a situation you couldn't get out of otherwise, which was the scenario originally outlined (accurate or not) which Dozer and I responded to.

The matter of grabbing someone's car because you messed up clipping out when you stopped is a more difficult matter IMO, and again, the sort of thing that can rightly give motorists the shits. Personally, if some dude leant on my car because he was about to fall over, and was polite about it I wouldn't care that much, accidents happen.

At the same time though, it comes down to a matter of skill, if you can't handle a car well enough to avoid sideswiping other vehicles when you make a turn then you shouldn't be on the road. Similarly, if you can't ride well enough to avoid regularly falling on cars when you stop at traffic lights, then it's probably time to either give up the clips, or take the bus.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Do you feel stupid for saying that? You should because it is total crap. I ride a bike on the road daily and I don't go close to having any accidents or causing any problems for anyone or anything. I make decisions on when to cross a road or take a turn in a safe manner that is within the rules but when you see groups of riders and single riders totally doing the wrong thing and pissing people off by doing so you get the impression that those people think they are above others and then they bitch and moan when they get in a situation where a vehicle has a scratch and they have a trashed bike and are spamming the internet with complaints from a hospital bed! Let me assure you that most of the riders in my area that do their group rides and triathlon routes around town for practice are breaking laws and endangering everyone around them. Why shouldn't I assume they are all mongs and just asking for trouble?
Does having an expensive car instantly make you a roadie hater? Why would you get annoyed being passed by someone on a bike while you're stationary or moving slowly?

stackcheddar

Likes Bikes
Why would you get annoyed being passed by someone on a bike while you're stationary or moving slowly?
When cars are queued up at a stop light, cyclists go up the center and sit in front of the cars and hold up cars when the lights go green.

They should wait in line with everyone else or stick to the side and let faster moving vehicles pass.

drivebytrucker

Likes Dirt
"driving intentionally into bike should be taken as an intentional road accident at best, assault at worst."

I am confused over how you have an INTENTIONAL ACCIDENT.

I also find it amusing(not the incident) at how many people are so really pissed off that Warnie is a moron but still is a multi millionaire with loads of notches in the bed post, slaps of jealousy perhaps.

"I agree, but try telling this to the millions of mindless sports fans around the world... They seem to believe that grown men who have some skills with bats and/or balls (the kind of skills pretty much anyone could acquire if they were they to put in the same amount of practice hours) are above the law..."

I am a sports fan, not mindless and resent the generalisation, thats the same as what people do when they class all roadies or all xc riders are pussys because they dont do downhill. Also, just time and practice will not get you there, there is a certain amount of in built skill that puts you above the rest to start with, otherwise we would all be the best at whatever our chosen sport is.

P.S i dont know how to do highlighted quotes so they are cut and pastes

Last edited:

MtbDjRidaSachaz66

Likes Dirt
P.S i dont know how to do highlighted quotes so they are cut and pastes
You just have to look below the post you want to respond to or have highlighted - and you will see a "Reply with quote" button thingo. Just click that, and it will automatically redirect you to a page from which you can "Reply to thread". :)

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
When cars are queued up at a stop light, cyclists go up the center and sit in front of the cars and hold up cars when the lights go green.

They should wait in line with everyone else or stick to the side and let faster moving vehicles pass.
You have obviously never ridden in traffic!

frensham

Likes Dirt

Please read the road rules. Then pull your head in after you realise how silly you now look.

stackcheddar

Likes Bikes
You have obviously never ridden in traffic!
I have and I am conscious if I am getting in the way of cars - just like drivers who should be conscious of getting in the way of other drivers (ie moving out of the right lane if a car is coming up from behind).

It's acceptable if cars are banked up in congestion and they're unlikely to speed up anytime soon but getting in front of them just before they take off is an annoyance.

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why would you get annoyed being passed by someone on a bike while you're stationary or moving slowly?
human nature. not right, but lots of people just seem to get pissed off at what they see as a perceived wrong - ie a bike going between cars and getting ahead - when they don't have the same opportunity.

Isn't this what is happening when cyclists go up between cars - they are the fast moving vehicles in this situation. I always love the argument people make when they say that it is annoying when you pass a bike only for it to pass you again - they think that they have priority on the roads. It is no different a bike operating within the law passing a slow or stopped car than it is for a car operating within the law passing a slower bike. I agree that eventually in most cases the car will end up ahead, but this doesn't give them priority in traffic

stackcheddar

Likes Bikes
I agree that eventually in most cases the car will end up ahead, but this doesn't give them priority in traffic
If I were stuck in banked up traffic and it wasn't going to move fast any time soon, it would try to shuffle to the side to give enough room for cyclists (or motorcycles) to get through.

Overtaking and then slowing other people down is downright annoying - cars, cyclists, motorbikes or pedestrians.

I am not saying cyclists should pull over every time a car comes up from behind, just don't overtake when the vehicle in front is likely to move off quickly ie at traffic lights or in a bit of traffic.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Aussies, we like to think we're the most laid back people on the planet but put us in a car and we're a bunch of homicidal psychopaths.

What does it matter to you if a cyclist runs a red light or cut's up over a footpath? Seriously how does it effect you personally as you sit in your car fuming?

Is it really so bad that someone else is getting away with breaking a few rules or traveling faster than you and having fun while doing so? Is it really worth getting cranky over?

I got over the road rage thing years ago, so what if someone is driving a bit slow, cut you off or wont move over? If no damage is done who cares. What's the big hurry anyway are you going to be 1min later to get home and tweet how bored you are?

Deep breaths, mind your own business and try and smile while you drive. Your life will be a lot better for it.

Last edited: