Shaved legs on a MTB

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
I do notice a difference in having shaved legs in particular with the usual cuts abrasions you get or from the aftermath of the unwanted big off, it is much easier to clean the wound.

The other reason is the wife loves it, the favour count goes up and I am happy with that every day of the week.

Last reason I do it is I reckon it looks good, if I didn't I would have that sasquatch thing going on, which for me I don't like.

But do what you like and like what you do.

The hardest part in shaving your legs is explaning to your kid why you are doing it.

Timmay023

Likes Bikes
Is it really necessary? I would think that any red blooded male that wants to shave his legs for riding a mtb simply has to ask himself this question!

Basically, if you can handle wearing full lycra, then you can shave your legs too..... why not, you have already given up on looks. If you are a baggy short rider then you simply don't need to worry. You are not going to gain ANYTHING by shaving.

Then again, if you want the best compromise, wear full tights! And a bit of lippy!

ScooterXC

Likes Dirt
I recon this should be a sticky thread :p
Worst part about shaving the legs - the shit we get at school..
cleaning up after a ride is a breeze though!!
I'm a shaver, but just sick of the quick spikeyness, how long does a wax generally last sillky for!? and how much does it hurt the first time?
still, i love the mountainbiking, i think the shaved legs just makes me look more pro :eek:
:cool:

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
I recon this should be a sticky thread :p
Worst part about shaving the legs - the shit we get at school..
cleaning up after a ride is a breeze though!!
I'm a shaver, but just sick of the quick spikeyness, how long does a wax generally last sillky for!? and how much does it hurt the first time?
still, i love the mountainbiking, i think the shaved legs just makes me look more pro :eek:
:cool:
My wife complained about the spikiness factor when shaving... if you don't shave em every couple of days its unpleasant apparently...

When you wax the hair grows back a little more slowly and doesn't have that spikey feel... I probably get em waxed about every 4-6 weeks and it costs about $30.

The incentive for doing it more often is than the longer between visits the more painful it gets! Oh, and I only go up to mid thigh (which looks odd in speedos) (ok, odder than than the general sight of me in speedos).

As for how much does it hurt generally... less than its made out to hurt but more than you'd think... also some people get ingrown hairs etc from waxing which is just plain icky!

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
My wife complained about the spikiness factor when shaving... if you don't shave em every couple of days its unpleasant apparently...

When you wax the hair grows back a little more slowly and doesn't have that spikey feel... I probably get em waxed about every 4-6 weeks and it costs about $30.

The incentive for doing it more often is than the longer between visits the more painful it gets! Oh, and I only go up to mid thigh (which looks odd in speedos) (ok, odder than than the general sight of me in speedos).

As for how much does it hurt generally... less than its made out to hurt but more than you'd think... also some people get ingrown hairs etc from waxing which is just plain icky!

Just do it yourself - much cheaper. Trick is get a warm, water-soluble wax from somewhere like priceline maybe about $15, will do several occasions... water soluble means if you chicken out you can just wash it off with warm water ;-)

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
I get my legs waxed on the odd occasion (although its been a while so right now my legs hairs have grown back). +1 likes the feel of them without hair but also like the "shape" of my legs after they are waxed - good enough reason for me I suppose!

Thankfully waxing is not that painful for me - am not that hairy which is probably rather fortunate in this instance! I actually find the hot wax touching my skin hurts more then the "ripping" of the hair out of the roots!

Re: ingrown hairs, use a loofer (sp?) - something about "exfoliate" which apparently reduces the likelihood of ingrowns....

DaGonz

Eats Squid
i'm a remedial therapist - and massaging shaved legs is not fun. it's rather like massaging spiky sandpaper. i'd rather work on a hairy-legged man (or woman for that matter) any day.
I was getting weekly massages (sometimes more often) on my legs for months after I tore my calf and remained hairy. I never had any issues, no pimply skin as a result and my physio/maseus never complained. I've shaved once or twice on this premise but grew lazy and basically ruled this one out as a valid argument

The main advantage for hairless legs I can see is in the TdF when the boys take off skin and get patched while still riding. Dressings stick way better to hairless skin and taking them off is way nicer if there's no hair. I guess even in smaller races and TMB races, if you take skin off and it needs dressing with something adhesive - hairless is definitely easier.
And this I think is the only reason I have, or will shave my legs. I don't crash that often (no really!) but doing it mid race, trying to get something to stick and then pulling it off after is a pain in the arse. if I have a big race I care about that's longer than 6-8hrs (where getting patched up and back on the bike is worth it) I consider it for this reason alone! it also makes post race clean up after a long race regardless of injury, much easier. Picking dried mud out of leg hairs after 12-24hrs is just plain annoying...

...otherwise I'm quite simply, too lazy. I look sexy enough without it :rolleyes:

Cheers
Spoonie

Marx

Likes Dirt
Shaved legs are like badass tatts.
They just say “I reckon I’m hardcore”.

Red flag to a bull out on the trails, more like.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
If you are seeking acceptance, you won't get it from me. It's never ok.

Let's be honest here for a second. I think cyclists work hard on their legs, and I think guys shave their legs so they look their best. And too many guys hang onto these piss poor excuses, massage, crashes, aerodynamics.... Please! Come clean guys.
I agree. Of all the shit excuses I've ever heard about why dudes shave their legs I still believe that it is an image thing, perhaps a demo for the next go to look at your legs and think "Oooo, he has big shiney les, he must be fucking good!":p
If I here another person say that they shave their legs to stop gravel rash or it helps with the healing process then I'll suggest you stop riding bikes because you are a mongaloid and can't ride for shit! Seriously, you need to shave your legs because you fall off heaps? Ahahahahaha!
I have nothing against shaved legs but be honest about it, you do it for an image.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
I agree. Of all the shit excuses I've ever heard about why dudes shave their legs I still believe that it is an image thing, perhaps a demo for the next go to look at your legs and think "Oooo, he has big shiney les, he must be fucking good!":p
If I here another person say that they shave their legs to stop gravel rash or it helps with the healing process then I'll suggest you stop riding bikes because you are a mongaloid and can't ride for shit! Seriously, you need to shave your legs because you fall off heaps? Ahahahahaha!
I have nothing against shaved legs but be honest about it, you do it for an image.
The wife has worked in intensive care for 24 years, is also an international retreival nurse for careflight, i asked about the shaving thing and she called it a bunch of rubbish about gravel rash and healing, she asked doctors and also was told it's rubbish, it's image, thats all!