AM She’s Crafty, she gets around…

Jpez

Down on the left!
I just can’t get away from the name. It’s always made me think of this and given @moorey keeps telling us how old he is maybe this is fitting bike for his senior years.
Sure you don’t want me to send you a roll of black duct tape mate? :p

jrewing

Eats Squid
My one pedalled way better with a coil shock. Dont know why but maybe the mid stroke support they offer??
If multi-rate springs existed when i had it id have kept the coil.

moorey

call me Mia
….and a large property to hide things. Bike looks great. Looking forward to hearing ride impressions.
Mine shafts everywhere. Apparently.

Ok, solid ride in tonight of my usual loop. I won’t lie, it was a little more bike to push around. However, I need to factor in:

6 weeks of daily riding the old alpine which is 1.5kg lighter, has 2.3 tyres with SS rear, runs 175mm cranks and climbs well. I didn’t intentionally ride harder or slower, and only thought to compare to the same loop from last week afterwards. Averaged about 1km slower, but I did opt for a couple of shortcut, slow technical that were too wet last week, when I took a fast bitumen road instead.

A few tweaks to make. Didn’t take shock pump, and never used more than 75% of rear travel, so I’ll drop some air and re-test. Even so, the rear still eats up the hits. I found myself looking for roots, rocks and holes rather than finding the smoothest line. Can feel the rear wheel rolling over rather than hooking up on square hits.
Felt great when up to speed. On one short test, I can’t say it excelled on tight cornering, but it was no worse than the Rune or Alpine. Maybe not quite as nimble as the spitfire, but probably shouldn’t expect it to be with the extra weight and travel. At speed, on more uneven terrain, it certainly tracks beautifully, even though it was only rugged single track, nothing gnarly to test it out on properly.
Didn’t particularly notice the idler and guide noice when I got going, other than in the big cog, when grinding the climbs. Chainline looks good, but might remove a BB spacer and move it all in a bees dick and see how it looks and sounds. Far less likely to notice a little noise when winding it out and descending at top speed.
Initial report, super happy, and not unmanageable to pedal compared to what I was expecting. Out of lockdown tomorrow, might have to sneak out to You Yangs, Maldon or Harcourt on the weekend to hit some rocks at speed and see what the fuss is about. Definitely didn’t feel too big, or even too tall. May have a crack with 170mm cranks to help push it around.

moorey

call me Mia
My one pedalled way better with a coil shock. Dont know why but maybe the mid stroke support they offer??
If multi-rate springs existed when i had it id have kept the coil.
I’m a Gumby. Every bike I’ve tried a coil on, I didn’t feel enough gain to outweigh the weight and PITA playing with springs. That said, I’ve got a freshly rebuilt DHX5 coil in the right size, just need to check what springs I have.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’m a Gumby. Every bike I’ve tried a coil on, I didn’t feel enough gain to outweigh the weight and PITA playing with springs. That said, I’ve got a freshly rebuilt DHX5 coil in the right size, just need to check what springs I have.
Play around with the DVO. Plenty of tuning possibilities.

moorey

call me Mia
Checked air pressure, another loop, this time no fuckery. Didn’t intentionally push hard. Still felt more of a chore up the hills than the alpine (as it should). Much better average speed (15.46kph on alpine V 15.46kph on crafty. Definitely letting it go a bit mote on the descents with increased confidence. I’m lichen it. May be the TransTas bike after all (if it isn’t canceled)

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Not to be pedantic but this is important, well let's be pedantic.

The average speed is the same of 15.46km/h on both bikes while the Bike App shows 15.45km/h.
Are you wildly inflating the figures and over achieving again?

moorey

call me Mia
Not to be pedantic but this is important, well let's be pedantic.

The average speed is the same of 15.46km/h on both bikes while the Bike App shows 15.45km/h.
Are you wildly inflating the figures and over achieving again?
Nope. You’ve lost me. Loop from a week or so back on alpine. Identical loop. Similar conditions.