Shed workbench designs

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Boo, the 100mm Dawn vice is one of a few they get made overseas somewhere... Oh well, at least its still supporting them and not Bunnings for a change I guess.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Well all this vice talk had me gassing. As if I don't have enough vices...

So, today I picked up a Dawn 100mm Multi-Purpose Vice from Total Tools for $159. I looked at the 125mm too, but it is too big, for what I want.

I have placed it where my trusty fabricated offset vice was mounted, and will fit the old offset vice to a bench, I have yet to build.

Even though I suspect the Dawn will get more use, simply because it can be rotated 360 degrees to suit the job at hand, but... I know that sometimes an offset vice is the only thing that will do what's required. Long tall things come to mind.

The Dawn seems very nicely built, and the horizontal and vertical play on the movable jaw is very small, a lot less than my trusty offset vice and also my really old Sidchrome 115mm vice.

Ye olde trusty fabricated offset vice...
View attachment 399063

The new Dawn...
View attachment 399064

Dawn up close and personal...
View attachment 399065
Noice - just bought the same one today. Will mount it up on the weekend :)

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Boo, the 100mm Dawn vice is one of a few they get made overseas somewhere... Oh well, at least its still supporting them and not Bunnings for a change I guess.
Ha ha, I hadn't even checked where it was made, but sort of expected it be made overseas, as it was pretty close to the price point of a bunch of other 100mm adjustable vices. But of the few I looked at... Eclipse, Craftright and Irwin, the Dawn looked to be sturdier and it certainly had tighter tolerances, with less play. I was sort of hoping Dawn would have set good specifications, with their supplier, when it comes to the casting process. Time will tell.

Anyway, if I've really gotta lean on something big-time, I'll just use my 30 year old fabricated offset vice.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Few of em getting flogged on farcebook as 'restored' (cleaned and painted :rolleyes:)...
$400 for this one

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Well I actually pressed my new Dawn vice into action tonight for the first time. I used it to create some soft timber jaws for itself, and yes, being able to rotate it to the desired position, was awesome. I think it is going to augment old trusty perfectly.