Shed workbench designs

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Half done, next one will be 90mm lower.
One of the first things I did when I was setting up my garage was change singles/doubles to 4's.

Battery charging, radio, under bench air compressor and 1 for general use.

ozzybmx

Yep, that’s absolutely on the cards.
The other one has the beer fridge (yellow ON), garage door, granny EV charger and extension lead for anything out the garage door. Wont charge errrrr car and use something outside, I have a dedicated 20amp power point for welding and plasma cutting.

20230421_204613.jpg

ozzybmx

It’s still a bit rough in my mind, and there were a few oopsies and do overs along the way. Would be neater were I to do it again now, but it’s close enough I don’t want to do it again!
Mentioned before, you can fuck that shit up completely 3 times before you are quids in by getting someone in to do it for you. May not be 100% and you will know all the little blemishes but to others, it looks fckn good :cool:

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Hanging storage seemed like a good idea but I have a shit set up. Props to those who can make it work. If I could do it all again, I think I would like a few shallow drawers with Eva foam.

And lots of segregated storage options for all the little parts that inevitably get chucked in a big box and lost.

I'm not posting photos of my workbench, it's embarrassingly messy!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Hanging storage seemed like a good idea but I have a shit set up. Props to those who can make it work. If I could do it all again, I think I would like a few shallow drawers with Eva foam.

And lots of segregated storage options for all the little parts that inevitably get chucked in a big box and lost.

Run out of potatoes? Would be hard to tell. :p No way I am posting pics of mine either... Similar, very similar, reasoning even mid clean out.

teK--

Eats Squid

Just get tackle boxes! Several drawers are just full of them for all the small bits and bobs

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Just get tackle boxes! Several drawers are just full of them for all the small bits and bobs
That's the idea, I just haven't done it yet :D
I'm no fisherman/woman/person, where's a good place to get some and start the Great Sortening of 2023?

ozzybmx

That's the idea, I just haven't done it yet :D
I'm no fisherman/woman/person, where's a good place to get some and start the Great Sortening of 2023?
Cheaper boxes but Med quality - Bunnings.

Good quality and a bit more expensive - Plano from a tackle shop.

Measure the space they are going and get the right sizes.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Well all this vice talk had me gassing. As if I don't have enough vices...

So, today I picked up a Dawn 100mm Multi-Purpose Vice from Total Tools for $159. I looked at the 125mm too, but it is too big, for what I want.

I have placed it where my trusty fabricated offset vice was mounted, and will fit the old offset vice to a bench, I have yet to build.

Even though I suspect the Dawn will get more use, simply because it can be rotated 360 degrees to suit the job at hand, but... I know that sometimes an offset vice is the only thing that will do what's required. Long tall things come to mind.

The Dawn seems very nicely built, and the horizontal and vertical play on the movable jaw is very small, a lot less than my trusty offset vice and also my really old Sidchrome 115mm vice.

Ye olde trusty fabricated offset vice...
Vice - offset.jpeg

The new Dawn...
Vice Dawn 1.jpeg

Dawn up close and personal...
Vice Dawn 2.jpeg

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Well all this vice talk had me gassing. As if I don't have enough vices...

So, today I picked up a Dawn 100mm Multi-Purpose Vice from Total Tools for $159. I looked at the 125mm too, but it is too big, for what I want.

I have placed it where my trusty fabricated offset vice was mounted, and will fit the old offset vice to a bench, I have yet to build.

Even though I suspect the Dawn will get more use, simply because it can be rotated 360 degrees to suit the job at hand, but... I know that sometimes an offset vice is the only thing that will do what's required. Long tall things come to mind.

The Dawn seems very nicely built, and the horizontal and vertical play on the movable jaw is very small, a lot less than my trusty offset vice and also my really old Sidchrome 115mm vice.

Ye olde trusty fabricated offset vice...
View attachment 399063

The new Dawn...
View attachment 399064

Dawn up close and personal...
View attachment 399065
The offset vice is better, the inline ones are a pain because you can't hold anything long in them.