Shimano 6 bolt rotor tightening plates

Patio

Likes Bikes
I was just putting some Shimano 6 bolt rotors on some new wheels I have and came across these tightening plates for the first time.

From reading the instructions I assume they go between the rotor and the bolt. Then your supposed to "use a flat-tipped screwdriver or similar tool to bend the edges of the tightening plates over the heads of the bolts". I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but there doesn't seem to be enough of these plates to bend over the bolt and trying to work what's there with a small screwdriver just seems a good way to scratch up some new rotors!

Are these tightening plates necessary? The bolts come with thread lock applied. Has anyone else had some experience with them they can share?

Dicky

Punter God
Nope. A bit of threadlock is all you need, and all that every other brake manufacturer uses.

Just Shimano covering their asses to an OCD level - the plates are supposed to stop a loose bolt from unscrewing itself completely.

Alex Dlugosch

Likes Dirt
I think the bendy ones are the old style. The current plates that come with the rotors have that little leaf spring that's meant to engage with radial teeth/ridges that are rolled into the bottom of the screw head. That's why they have a "TOP" side. It's just designed to prevent the screws from turning themselves out after they possibly come loose, but the plates doesn't make it hard to disassemble.

All you have to do is get the proper side up and put the screws in.

dunndog

Eats Squid
YES! I've been wondering what's up with these things. Figured they were just some sort of pissweak attempt at a spring washer type thing.

teK--

Eats Squid
YES! I've been wondering what's up with these things. Figured they were just some sort of pissweak attempt at a spring washer type thing.
Now I know I'm gonna leave the bloody things out! I already use loctite so the washers would be redundant.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
But what if all 6 bolts loosen to the point of falling out at exactly the same time and you don't notice? Then you'll wish you'd used the plates.

teK--

Eats Squid
But what if all 6 bolts loosen to the point of falling out at exactly the same time and you don't notice? Then you'll wish you'd used the plates.
All 6 loctited bolts fall out at same time and me not notice wobbly brakes partway through the process... if buy a lottery ticket :)

Patio

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the replies guys.

I've just left them on there for now without trying to bend the little flaps up, hoping the loctite will do it's job. If it doesn't then I guess you'll read about it on another thread, like "Confession from the fuck wits"!!

T-Rex

Template denier
I was just putting some Shimano 6 bolt rotors on some new wheels I have and came across these tightening plates for the first time.

From reading the instructions I assume they go between the rotor and the bolt. Then your supposed to "use a flat-tipped screwdriver or similar tool to bend the edges of the tightening plates over the heads of the bolts". I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but there doesn't seem to be enough of these plates to bend over the bolt and trying to work what's there with a small screwdriver just seems a good way to scratch up some new rotors!

Are these tightening plates necessary? The bolts come with thread lock applied. Has anyone else had some experience with them they can share?
From memory those tightening plates are designed to be used with bolts that have triangular heads, so there's a flat edge for the plate to fold over, which prevents the bolt from backing out. If you have a normal round headed bolt, they won't work.

As others have said, just use locktite. #243 does the job.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Has anyone, ever, used the locking wire on the shimano calliper bolts? Same dealio as the plates, if you ever need to use this, you're doing something drastically wrong.

Alex Dlugosch

Likes Dirt
Basically, properly tightened screws don't need this. If you're doing the right thing and paying attention to your bike, you'll be just fine.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has anyone, ever, used the locking wire on the shimano calliper bolts? Same dealio as the plates, if you ever need to use this, you're doing something drastically wrong.
I upgraded rotors the other day.
Used the plates.
Am I going to die? And by that I mean the next time I ride? I do realise we are all going to die at some stage.