Shimano Brake Fittings Leaking

_______

Is an alien from 2007
That way I can screw up the pads and post in the fuckwit thread again for having the right tool but ignoring it and definitely contaminating probably contaminated pads because I didn’t use the tool.
wow you went straight past home mechanic and now you're a 99 bikes workshop manager! learning fast!

In his defense, 80% of shop bike mechanic couldn’t even make an instant coffee.
in the UK only shit mechanics drink coffee, good ones require their own body weight in PG tips weekly. Tried explaining this to Chris Herron once. Didn't get me out of road testing his Aeropress. He could tell I like coffee ;)

_______

Is an alien from 2007
All I get from that is that all British mechanics drink coffee.
ouch. I'd feel sorry for the tea drinkers, but they're probably too busy fitting mudguards to roadbikes and grumbling and trying to make some bell end's Orange pedal like a Specialized and grumbling more and trying to find another crush washer in the Hope spares box to care.

moorey

call me Mia
ouch. I'd feel sorry for the tea drinkers, but they're probably too busy fitting mudguards to roadbikes and grumbling and trying to make some bell end's Orange pedal like a Specialized and grumbling more and trying to find another crush washer in the Hope spares box to care.
Whoa there.....

Since when did FSR do anything but wallow and Bob?

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
. Tried explaining this to CH once. Didn't get me out of road testing his Aeropress. He could tell I like coffee ;)
You've been out with CH as well, I still get the uncontrollable shakes and blackouts whenever someone mentions Sailor Jerrys

AaronM

Likes Dirt
Some on-topic closure:

Went out to the garage this morning. Pulled the bleed kit from the box and had a go.

Here’s what I did...
Remove reservoir cap screw and screwed in the funnel thing. Removed the stopper from the funnel thing.

Remove dust cover from bleed nipple.

3/4 fill syringe with fresh oil

Jam hose end onto bleed nipple

Discover the bleed screw had been tightened by an ape.

Get socket set and 3mm hex. Get the bleed screw loose.

Push fluid up the system until the collecting funnel was half full.

Close bleed screw and pump the lever. Decent feel and pressure. No leaks at caliper.

Cycle lever a lot then hold in and loosen bleed screw pushing out extra air. Ala bleeding automotive brakes. Repeat until no air.

Close everything up.

Test ride.

Win. Rear brake works. No leaks from the fitting (after it had been tightened).

Brakes are still honking a bit but it might come good. Either way BrakeKleen and new pads next time I’m ordering something will solve it long term.

Expect a post in the Fuckwit thread when the fitting starts leaking again and I just buy new 4-piston calipers instead :)

moorey

call me Mia
Best if you also screw servo wave screw in, and wind lever right out when bleeding.

Also...just cook your pads (and metho wipe the rotors). Don’t buy new ones.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I’m going to have to be careful about decanting fluids in the garage....
Put a bottle of pink grapefruit juice next to those 2 and have a really interesting mess.
A bit like my wife putting diesel in the ride on mower --- darling why wont it start ?

AaronM

Likes Dirt
Closure of this drama. Bike came due for service, went and butcher at the shop about it.

New pads fitted at no charge. :)

AaronM

Likes Dirt
Well “bitched” would be what I did, but had my wife had anything to do with it someone may have been butchered. She was not impressed when the first line from the guys mouth was “well it’s $25 for the pads and $xx for fitting” on the complimentary service.

Neither bike will be going back to where they came from again :)