Shimano WR 11-41t 10Spd Cassette.

wombat

Lives in a hole
There is close to the recommended 5mm with the stock B-screw almost maxed out (you could put in a longer screw to gain more space between the top jockey wheel/cassette).
Pretty impressed the thing's got that sort of range!

Never really thought setups like this made much sense, with the big ratio gaps, but when I think about it a lot of the time I was shifting on my last ride I was grabbing two or three gears at a time...

Gripo

Eats Squid
Bit of an update.......

After several cog changes and many a test ride, I'm back to using the 7th<>10th cogs of the stock Shimano XT 11-36 cassette ie. 24/21/19/17/15/13/11

Reasons being as most of my riding is done on this part of the cassette and I was trying to close up the gap created by removing the 17/15t and substituting it with a 16t cog....

I'm now settling on making the cog swap in the 2nd<>3rd cogs with either 41-(36/28t), 41-(36/30t) or 41-(34/28t)....basically my 3 granny gears.

It's interesting putting numbers into gear calculators and then riding the spread to find that it doesn't always work for you in the dirt, though looking good by the numbers....

Also Wombat, what amazes me is how tolerant the 10spd system is when it comes to cog spacing and a mix of eBay/10/9spd cogs.....there's been a few times when I've been hard up for spacers and I've run what I've had....again with shifting that's been close to standard.

On the subject of freehub marking this could be an issue for some brands, my Hopes are marked by the standard cassettes so this is something I accept....I may upgrade to their steel freehubs but will monitor.

Now XX1's cassette....I do see a good possibility that more cog spreads might be needed/wanted than the current cassette. Especially those who like a closer ratio 5<>11th gear..

Anyway, in the end I'm pretty happy with what I'm running on both bikes but do look forward to the time when Shimano respond....albeit it a little too late if SRAM X9/7 their XX1...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365746131.074773.jpg

wombat

Lives in a hole
Also Wombat, what amazes me is how tolerant the 10spd system is when it comes to cog spacing and a mix of eBay/10/9spd cogs.....there's been a few times when I've been hard up for spacers and I've run what I've had....again with shifting that's been close to standard.
Pretty impressive, that's for sure. I was always one of the heathens who shyed away from Mega9, I was never very enamoured with the shift quality when it first popped up, especially on the cheaper gear; I think my old hardtail is still sporting an 8spd XTR shifter that may have come from you?
Dynasys seems to be pretty damn sharp though.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got on to action tec this week to discuss their plans for a 40/41 tooth cog, this was their response...

Thank you for your interest in our products.

At this time, we are currently upgrading our cogs for 10 speed compatibility. When we are finished with the upgrades we will look into developing a large cog possibility.

Thanks again,
Alison

Gripper, are you having any issues with running 10 spd on these ? Does the mtb plus run better or worse ?

Sourcing the 18 & 21t cogs I reckon I need is proving to be the real challenge, much to my surprise.

Wouldn't it be nice if shimano sold spare cogs. Its much like last year when I broke the link which connects to the hanger on my xtr rear mech. The rest was fine but do you think I could replace that link. Their website has a schematic diagram with part numbers for each bit, but no, you can't buy part xyz separately, rude.

Gripo

Eats Squid
Me too sane...I thought I'd spike Action Tec again to let them know that a 41t cog was possible with the Shimano derailluer I'm using.....in hope that they might of knocked one out to try for themselves after I contacted them several weeks ago.....

I've not had any issues running their 39t cog with a Shimano 9 or 10spd drivetrain so I don't know what Action Tec on about?

The only option here in Aus that may help with a lighter stainless version would probably be Paul Heggarty from Widgit chainguide fame. I hope to chat to him this week to see what he can do.

Sourcing separate cogs isn't an issue if you are prepared to buy a cassette.....and these will usually be Deore/LX/SLX that don't have cogs in a spider arrangement but are rivetted together (grind rivet, knock rivet out = heaps of cogs)....naturally they are usually cheap.

Browse through "Shimano Tech Docs" (google it) to see diagrams of the cassettes and hunt a bargain online or annoy your LBS.

Yes Shimano is a shocker...

That's pure genius Gripper. I once had a MegaRange 8 speed lx (or it could have been alivio) cassette when I upgraded from 7 speed to 8 speed all those years ago, and that worked a treat. Funny Shimano don't do them for 10 speed. Surely they'll 'create' the one you've just invented. You should patent it. I'm going to give your one a shot and have a lot of fun with gear calculators at the same time.

Blackstar

Likes Bikes
Nice work mate!

If you want to keep the spacing fairly similar, make the biggest tooth gap between the biggest 2 cogs at the back.

In theory, the 41-34-28 24... combo seems the best, as the gear inch gaps are smoothest. How it turns out in the trail might be another story...

Either way, here's a bike gear calculator that might help.

Keep us posted.

Attachments

Last edited:
Has anyone tried ditching just the 13 tooth cog? I'm wondering if it will still change smoothly and I figured if I'm going that fast I may not miss that little cog? It also means I don't have to loose my 11 tooth and the 11 tooth lock ring.

Gripo

Eats Squid
Has anyone tried ditching just the 13 tooth cog? I'm wondering if it will still change smoothly and I figured if I'm going that fast I may not miss that little cog? It also means I don't have to loose my 11 tooth and the 11 tooth lock ring.
I wouldn't do it.....especially at this end of the cassette 1t is too much of a % change.....see my earlier posts....

Blackstar I'm testing the 41-(34/28) combo at the moment and liking it a lot...

btw if you have a smart phone the app "iGearPro" is a handy tool....

Blackstar

Likes Bikes
I wouldn't do it.....especially at this end of the cassette 1t is too much of a % change.....see my earlier posts....
+1

was considering putting together a custom cassette, but don't need it at this stage

you never know... shimano might release something similar to compete with XX1...

mitchy_

Llama calmer
MTBTOOLS on ebay also offers a 38T ring for ~$35

at the moment i have 11-34 9 speed with 32T front ring.
i was thinking of trying 11-38 10 speed with a shimano zee wide short cage, and 34T chainring up front. should give me a little more on either side of the range.

11-41 with a 36T front ring would be ideal, but i don't think a short cage will agree with that.

Gripo

Eats Squid
11-41 with a 36T front ring would be ideal, but i don't think a short cage will agree with that.
If your spending the $'s you might as well go a 41t, but I can't be confident that a short Zee derailuer would work...

I'm using the XT Shadow Plus w/medium GS cage....

mason33

Likes Dirt
If your spending the $'s you might as well go a 41t, but I can't be confident that a short Zee derailuer would work...

I'm using the XT Shadow Plus w/medium GS cage....
What gear would you ditch though if you haven't got a choice of cassettes to mix and match from? The 38t makes it pretty easy, but won't gain much lower gearing.

- 1 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 3 -3 - 4 -4 - 6

Could do it this way and have super low ratio and nothing in between I guess.

- 1 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 3 -3 - 4 -4 - 9

Last edited:

SaabG

Likes Dirt
That's what I'm running. Works well except in the 11t cog it slips when I'm pedalling hard. Didn't do that with the 32t front. Probably slipping due to less chain being wrapped around the 11t cog. I'm going to adapt a top chain guide to remedy the problem but I think may e a med cage will be the easiest fix.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
That's what I'm running. Works well except in the 11t cog it slips when I'm pedalling hard. Didn't do that with the 32t front. Probably slipping due to less chain being wrapped around the 11t cog. I'm going to adapt a top chain guide to remedy the problem but I think may e a med cage will be the easiest fix.
I'm assuming the B screw is wound all the way in?

SaabG

Likes Dirt
Gripper. I ordered a 9 speed 12-36 slx cassette but it comes in one solid unit. Did you pull it apart yourself or have they sent me just a deore cassette?

Gripo

Eats Squid
Gripper. I ordered a 9 speed 12-36 slx cassette but it comes in one solid unit. Did you pull it apart yourself or have they sent me just a deore cassette?
That's it......on the back of the 36t cog you will see 3 rivets/pins.

Gently grind the heads down and knock through the pins....and the cassette comes apart.