Shimano WR 11-41t 10Spd Cassette.

Blackstar

Likes Bikes
What gear would you ditch though if you haven't got a choice of cassettes to mix and match from?
the biggest one

- 1 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 3 -3 - 4 -4 - 9

the gear inch gap between 32 and 41 isn't as big as it seems

if you need a bigger range than that , say for long steep climbs, better go 2x10

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Great thread Gripper!! Thinking of getting the ebay 41 tooth so I can go 1 x 10. Looking to set up with Sram however (already have the type 2 rear mech & a 12 -36 cassette)
This is the set up I would be looking at -

cogs --- tooth diff.
41 --------- 5
36 --------- 5
32 --------- 4
28 --------- 4
24 --------- 4
21 --------- 3
18 --------- 3
15 --------- 3
13 --------- 2
11 --------- 2

Not sure on front chainring yet. Maybe start out with a 32.

XX1 out of my price range at the moment. Hopefully SHIMANO introduce this type of system soon.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can't believe shimano haven't already. If they release their own 10spd, 11-40ish cassette and a new RD if needed, the public will buy it.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
I can't believe shimano haven't already. If they release their own 10spd, 11-40ish cassette and a new RD if needed, the public will buy it.
Absolutely agree. If they are in the process of doing this, why not advertise it. I know I would wait.....and stick with an 11 tooth smallest cog, Can then use the existing freehub and no extras unlike xx1

soontir

Likes Dirt
This has been a great read.
Seriously thinking of nodding the rear cassette to a 41 tooth.
Does anyone make a 9 or 10 tooth?
As I do ride a bit in 11/42.
And dropping down to a 36 or 38 tooth up front is not something i want to do.

Rod

ozdavo

Likes Dirt
This has been a great read.
Seriously thinking of nodding the rear cassette to a 41 tooth.
Does anyone make a 9 or 10 tooth?
As I do ride a bit in 11/42.
And dropping down to a 36 or 38 tooth up front is not something i want to do.

Rod
Can't go smaller than 11t without changing the freehub (thats why SRAM introduced the XD for XX1/X01.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I've been trialling Gripper's system with the 41t ring and it's a bugger to get working with my Sram cassette (11,13,15,17,19,22,25,28,32,36). Whatever cog I lose causes a jump in gears that's annoyingly large.

While it's a great innovation and very much the poor man's answer to XX1, it's unfortunate that the 41t cog weighs about the same as Srams ENTIRE XX1 cassette. I kid you not. At the moment my complete 10 speed cassette is 570 grams vs Sram's 11 speed cassette which is 260 grams...

What is that 41t thing made of to make it so heavy?

Last edited:

ozdavo

Likes Dirt
At the moment my complete 10 speed cassette is 570 grams vs Sram's 11 speed cassette which is 260 grams...

What is that 41t thing made of to make it so heavy?
But an average 11-36 cassette is alot heavier than 260gm. (1030 ~ 400gm, 1070 ~ 360gm)

Last edited:

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Bloody Sram with their super light and super sexy new technology... My finger is hovering over the "buy now" button on a full X01 group set...

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Bloody Sram with their super light and super sexy new technology... My finger is hovering over the "buy now" button on a full X01 group set...
Isn't it $200 difference or something for xx1 ? I'd go the whole hog if that is the difference ... Don't really know though as I'm not a SHAM fan.

papack

Cannon Fodder
Gday everyone, since mentioning in PYR of my Shimano WR 11-41t 10Spd cassette I've had many an inquiry of how I did it.

Bit of a story first......

For me this is an evolution of a WR cassette which I started experimenting with in 2009 when Shimano released their SLX 12-36t 9spd cassette. With XT/XTR 9spd not having a 36t option then I bought the SLX cassette and removed the 36t and placed it behind my XTR cassette (removed the 11t and installed a 12t lockring). With this experiment working it got me thinking about a larger cog and the possibilities of going 1x.

Research led me to a US company called Action Tec who do all sorts of specialty bike gearing from individual cogs to complete cassettes. An early morning phone call to them confirmed that in their experience a Shimano 9spd derailleur with the B screw turned in and cable tuning it would shift to their 39t Ti cog, so done....I ordered one.

Within 2 weeks I was riding a 12-39t 9spd cassette and with the benefit of the then new 28t Widgit, I had gearing close close enough for the trails I was riding. With a solid 12 months, several hundred+ Kms of singletrack and a 6Hr race I was very happy with this experiment, but eventually succumbed to the allure of a 10spd drivetrain in 2010 and then I moved to the true hills (Toowoomba) and went back to 2x up front needing a granny gear again.

Then a couple months ago I had a front derailleur fail? and went back to a 28t Widgit as an easy fix, then my mind started thinking again especially with SRAM's XX1 now available. So back into my parts bin I go and grab the 39t Action Tec cog and some cassette spacers and pull apart the 11-36t XT cassette. I had a result........11-39t by putting the Action Tec cog at the back + 3mm spacer, removed the XT17/15t cogs and place a 16t cog in their place and rode.

Like I did when on 9spd, I screwed in the B screw on the Shimano 10spd XT GS Shadow+ derailleur and it changed gears as per normal, gearing though was a little funky simply the change from 16t>13t was just a little too tall depending on the terrain, not a complete deal breaker but something again to make me want to fix it.

With SRAM's 42t XX1 cog it got me thinking and researching as to what was out there, I emailed Action Tec who said that they would look into it and get back? and Paul from Widgit who said the same but it could be done at a price?.....again this was all with no guarantee that the 10spd XT derailleur would shift that far. Then I stumbled upon the 41t cog from US ebayer "mtbtools", again I took a gamble.....which paid off.

The cassette is now in it's final stage, with the 41t cog fitting and working as advertised and I've fixed the gap between the 16<>13t by using some of the individual Shimano 9spd SLX cassette cogs and Shimano 10spd spacers... with the B-screw now all the way in and cable tension adjusted the WR cassette is working like a charm despite the mix of cogs.

The gear spread on the Shimano WR cassette is 41-36-32-28-24-21-18-15-13-11t below is a photo of it all apart.

What I used.....
* 41t cog + .5mm spacer (supplied) from "eBayer mtbtools" or 39t cog from Action Tec + (3mm spacer)
* Shimano XT 10spd 11-36t cassette
* Shimano SLX 9spd 12-36t cassette
* Shimano 2.35mm 10spd cassette spacers

Preferring Shimano over SRAM, I would hope that Shimano would have a rebuttal to the XX1 or at least a WR 10spd cassette similar to mine.
YOU ARE A GENIUS !!!
I've find the solution to ride in 10s like XX1.
I think so that will beTHE solution than Shimano should have for his futur 10s vs xx1.

Thank you very much ;)