Shock and fork servicing/upgrade recommendations

slowmick

38-39"
Cheers - unfortunately my dead/dying shock is a cane creek so it needs to head off to NSD. Was toying up sending the forks to Cyclinic and the shock to NSD. Going to be expensive either way.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Last time i sent to NSD, booked it in, printed the booking sheet and took it to the PO, sent it normal Auspost express. Was there the next day and back with me 2 days after that.
NSD has also sold me a part to fit myself, it was with me next day again.

Everyone has their favourites, cant really go wrong with any of the 3 places mentioned here.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Does $50 seem about right to send off a fork for service? I haven't sent a parcel in a long time.
Nothing near that I would think. Auspost have a calculator that'll tell you.

But as mentioned in the other thread, most of these guys incorporate their postage into their service cost and give you pre-paid labels to print out.

I recently sent a a large heavy item (bike frame sized box weighing 28kg) interstate through pack n send and that was $60.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds expensive for post. I sent my 34's to NSD and it cost me about $20 from Melbourne. Got there in 3 days as I wasn't in a rush. Cyclinic have also been great in the past on my shocks.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
It was great for the sensitivity for my 2017’s
And was not that hard to install but you really do need a set of 10mm sharft clamps.
It gave an improvement of close to 10 points on a shock wiz with no other changes being made to the the setup of the fork.View attachment 350821

Cool. I bought the 34 Luftkappe off JV for my fork. Recently had a 140mm evol airshaft fitted to my 34 Grip fork, which made it better, so hopefully the Luftkappe finishes it off. Still not presently stoked with it's small bump chatter...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Been doing my own for a long time, used NS Dynamics once when I unloaded the CTD grub-screw on a shock and didn't realise it was spring loaded and spun around 360°, the CTD wouldn't work then so I sent it to NSD for a fix and service.

Got oils, seals and all most of the stuff I need but starting to think the googling to find the parts, the worry I have ordered the right stuff (which is too late when you have your fork in bits) isn't worth the hassle for my bikes. I also refuse to buy another seal installation tool for the tight Fox fork seals, already got the 32mm, I'm not really enthused about collecting anymore.

Its no worries with my boys bikes, 40kg each and 50psi in their forks, a seal swap and leg service takes me 20mins so I will continue to do theirs at home.

So what recommendations for a service centre ? NDS, Cyclinic, MTB suspension centre... any others ?

Also, just been reading about some of NSD's upgrades, are any of them worth getting ? Has anyone had that Vorsprung ‘Luftkappe’ upgrade ?

Since getting a little bit more 'trail' orientated, I am starting to appreciate small bump and a greater ramp at the end of the stroke.

The fork is a Fox factory 34 float fit4 and the the shock is a Monarch RT3 debonair.

Cheers
The answer is definitely to upgrade. Whatever it is that you don't currently have and is more expensive, that's what you want. Grab the credit card and spend!!!

ozzybmx

Got myself a little downtime at the moment.

Thought it would be a good time to send my fork of for a real birthday (not a home lower leg service) and a Vorsprung Luftkappe upgrade, anything else I should be looking at for small bump compliance as my Fox 36 feel sluggish.

Cheers

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Got myself a little downtime at the moment.

Thought it would be a good time to send my fork of for a real birthday (not a home lower leg service) and a Vorsprung Luftkappe upgrade, anything else I should be looking at for small bump compliance as my Fox 36 feel sluggish.

Cheers
Faster rebound than recommended. More open HSC and LSC than recommended. Hold em up with air.

Am considering a Luftcappe myself for my 36 after running one in my 34 last year. Latest faster settings in fork making it feel less necessary though.

ozzybmx

Faster rebound than recommended. More open HSC and LSC than recommended. Hold em up with air.

Am considering a Luftcappe myself for my 36 after running one in my 34 last year. Latest faster settings in fork making it feel less necessary though.
I have played with all the setting, from fully open and a combo of open/shut and everything in between. They are basically fully open as it is, 3 volume spacers and only about ~55psi.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I have played with all the setting, from fully open and a combo of open/shut and everything in between. They are basically fully open as it is, 3 volume spacers and only about ~55psi.
Fox 36 rc2s are often over damped even in the fully open position. See if the suspension tech can take out some of the hsc shims.

Another option is to grab a grip or grip 2 damper.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

Fox 36 rc2s are often over damped even in the fully open position. See if the suspension tech can take out some of the hsc shims.

Another option is to grab a grip or grip 2 damper.
Hmmm... HSC shim removal, might have a chat to them.

I prefer the feel of the Grip dampers, missus and kids forks have them.

ozzybmx

So, I have booked my fork in with Cyclinic. Spoke to 3 of the service shops and while I have always used NSD, I liked the engagement of Cyclinic, lots of questions and ideas.

I have left it open with them to work out what's wrong, open to full service and upgrades... just don't know if I want to drop nearly $1000 on a Push Coil and service on a top of the range $1500 fork that should be working top notch as standard.

They also suggested Grip 2 which may be a cheaper route to where I want to be, coil would be nice though, we'll see... express posted tomorrow.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I recently bought a new 2019 36 FIT4 and, coming off a DVO Diamond, was struggling to get the small bump I wanted. I whacked a Luftkappe in and it really improved it. I was planning on also putting a Fractive kit in the damper, but not sure I will need it now as the fork feels pretty damned good with just the Luftkappe.
I would see how you go just with that as it may be all you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro