Should a beginner purchase a dual suspension bike to start?

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
You lot are all batshit crazy - love it! :peace:

I'm surprised Dozer hasn't waved his on-topic wand over this thread yet, and am guessing the only reason he hasn't is that it's been fully spent on that bleeding brake thread.

You're all missing the obvious solution to OP's dilemma too: buy a dually, remove the shock and replace it with a rigid steel bar. Then when you're done developing skills, sick of XC trails or have a busted arse, put the shock back on and voila - full suss!

stirk

Burner

I'm surprised Dozer hasn't waved his on-topic wand over this thread yet, and am guessing the only reason he hasn't is that it's been fully spent on that bleeding brake thread.

You're all missing the obvious solution to OP's dilemma too: buy a dually, remove the shock and replace it with a rigid steel bar. Then when you're done developing skills, sick of XC trails or have a busted arse, put the shock back on and voila - full suss!
I said similar on page two but rather than use a steel rod simply max out the shock pressure. There might be a little movement but it'll still be a rough ride.

But why would you!

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I said similar on page two but rather than use a steel rod simply max out the shock pressure. There might be a little movement but it'll still be a rough ride.

But why would you!
Yep, remember your post now, just got lost in all the banter. I was trolling a bit too...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

A long time ago I met a fellow that welded his shock into a fixed position. It was on some junk duelling banjo dual suspension bike that he was thrashing on the local trails. Said the shock bounced too much...he wasn't a particularly talented rider, but he did build some nice trails. He called his trail maintenance working for the dole.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
A long time ago I met a fellow that welded his shock into a fixed position. It was on some junk duelling banjo dual suspension bike that he was thrashing on the local trails. Said the shock bounced too much...he wasn't a particularly talented rider, but he did build some nice trails. He called his trail maintenance working for the dole.

You "met a fellow..." huh? It wasn't you that welded your shock was it?

"The first rule about working for the dole is, we don't talk about working for the dole!"

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You "met a fellow..." huh? It wasn't you that welded your shock was it?

"The first rule about working for the dole is, we don't talk about working for the dole!"
I'm a first time reader...I swear every word of this is true...a friend of a friend has Sweedish boarders staying...

I was rolling down an unfamiliar trail and happened across the builder. He was hiding when he heard me coming as he was engaged in unsanctioned trail work.