Shoulder position when riding

my02

Likes Dirt
Maybe this should go in the Stupid Questions thread?...?

When riding, be it sitting and plodding or slamming down a fast technical section, do you guys keep your shoulders "packed" or allow them to round forwards? Or in other words do you keep your shoulder blades back and down or do they pull apart and even rise towards your neck?

I know the benefit of keeping maintain shoulder position / stability in weight training but I realised that I tend to ride with protracted shoulder blades. This got me thinking that on my next ride I should try pulling them back and down but I'm sure this will feel awkward and will also change my centre of gravity to a degree. The difference between retracted and protracted for me is about 20cm (quick mirror check).

I'd be interested to hear how others ride.

Ta

driftking

Wheel size expert
On the phone but I may add more later.

I just ride with them in a neutral position, given I ride downhill the shoulders change position when they need with movement. I don't really consciously lock my shoulders in any position, however I don't feel like they ever "fall" are are in a compromised position.

Matt C

Likes Dirt
I've been doing a lot of 6-7 hour rides lately and I have found that dropping my shoulders into a relaxed position when I can helps a lot. I find that when I come out of singletrack onto a fireroad they are definitely hunched up around my neck and I make a conscious effort to relax them whenever I can so I'm not so sore in the later hours on the bike.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
I tend to ride with my shoulders hunched over like the rest of me in tight single track because I have to often make myself smaller to get under low branches and the like, otherwise I am not conscious of them at all. I think focusing on your shoulder position is the wrong end of the stick. Focus on where your arms and elbows are when you need to lift the front end over obstacles or pull your weight forward for climbing, or push it back when dropping off something and the rest will follow. The focus is on your weight, arms and legs.