Shuttle Money

I havn't been in the DH game very long, and was wondering what peoples view on shuttle money is?

I own a ute that is used for shuttles by a number of people I ride with. Some of them chip in for a bit of petrol money, but there are a few that "have no money", or "only got a 50", or don't even bother to offer at the end of the riding.

I love the DH riding and don't mind using my ute, but I am not the wealthiest person, so it would be nice to think that people I rode with covered the cost of the fuel, (running costs, wear and tear are a whole different matter again).

Do others have the same problem?
How do you approach the issue?
Do you ask for people to chip in a few $$, or just let it go?

What is the going rate for say a half day or full day of riding and shuttling?

Interest to hear peoples thoughts

Dave

.dan.

Likes Dirt
Its pretty slack for your mates to not be paying you fuel money. When we do a day of shuttles, depending on where we go we ususally do a full day of shuttling. Quite often we make the trip to your area which is a 40 minute drive for us and if we have a full car we usually pitch in $10-$20 each. Its not lots of money so don't feel bad about having a go at them if they don't want to pay up, as it's unfair on you if they don't. Don't just let it slip by

bcb

Likes Bikes
I havn't been in the DH game very long, and was wondering what peoples view on shuttle money is?

I own a ute that is used for shuttles by a number of pople I ride with. Some of them chip in for a bit of petrol money, but there are a few that "have no money", or "only got a 50", or don't even bother to offer at the end of the riding.

I love the DH riding and don't mind using my ute, but I am not the wealthiest person, so it would be nice to think that people I rode with covered the cost of the fuel, (running costs, wear and tear are a whole different matter again).

Do others have the same problem?
How do you approach the issue?
Do you ask for people to chip in a few $$, or just let it go?

What is the going rate for say a half day or full day of riding and shuttling?

Interest to hear peoples thoughts

Dave
Every one should pay a minimum of 10 bux to the cars owner before their first run saves any bad feelings at the end of the day.

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you can afford to own a car, maintain it, run it, own a DH bike, maintain that then you should factor in practise costs including shuttling when you want to ride.

If you are the one who wants to go, youd be spending the costs yourself anyway.

And if you are the one who offers it to someone, then Id take it as a free offer.

If I had an esky full of beers, and my mate didnt, Id offer a beer. GRATIS. Thats what mates are for, not whinge that he didnt give you the 67c it costd for the can.....

However.........IF you from the get go, say, Ill offer my car to use as a shuttle but we all need to chip in fuel (ie spell it out from the start) , im sure no-one would object to pitching in for fuel

I often take mates fishing in my boat. (bigger cost than shuttling). If im flush, I dont expect them to chip in fuel. They may bring a 6pack, or bait, or food the mrs has made... but thats fine. On a good fishing week where im a bit Povo...I'll say straight out, guys, the fish are on but im skint......and hey, what do you know, everyone chips in.

COMMUNICATION is your issue...not your bludging mates.........

nickz

Likes Dirt
If you're the one with the ute, not your mate's, then you are the person making the ride happen. I don't have a ute, so I am upfront with talk of money, amounts etc for shuttli Gratis doesn't sound so good when after a day's shuttling your car is the one full of dirt, dust and food wrappers, and everyone has gone home. I'd feel a little bit apprehensive about other people driving my car over rough rocky fireroads, burning clutches, scraping shit, but people do it for the love of it, not offering to pay for fuel/vehicle use is low. Mates should put their hands in their pockets and pay to play. People have bikes in the thousands, yet create an awkward moment when it comes time to hand over a bit of cash to another mate for a good day's riding. It shouldn't cost one person (ute owner) out of the group every time a ride is on. Pay up and be generous.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, I reckon if they were real mates, you wouldn't need to ask.....

Not the exact situation, but I always do a road trip every couple of months with a few guys to show them some new trails and usually end up booking and paying for all the accommodation up front.
Everyone is aware what their share is before we leave, but there is always a couple of shitbags that make you ask for the money, instead of offering it.

Nothing pisses me off more!!

driftking

Wheel size expert
If you can afford to own a car, maintain it, run it, own a DH bike, maintain that then you should factor in practise costs including shuttling when you want to ride.

If you are the one who wants to go, youd be spending the costs yourself anyway.

And if you are the one who offers it to someone, then Id take it as a free offer.

If I had an esky full of beers, and my mate didnt, Id offer a beer. GRATIS. Thats what mates are for, not whinge that he didnt give you the 67c it costd for the can.....

However.........IF you from the get go, say, Ill offer my car to use as a shuttle but we all need to chip in fuel (ie spell it out from the start) , im sure no-one would object to pitching in for fuel

I often take mates fishing in my boat. (bigger cost than shuttling). If im flush, I dont expect them to chip in fuel. They may bring a 6pack, or bait, or food the mrs has made... but thats fine. On a good fishing week where im a bit Povo...I'll say straight out, guys, the fish are on but im skint......and hey, what do you know, everyone chips in.

COMMUNICATION is your issue...not your bludging mates.........

+1
If you are going somewhere you shouldnt expect money as you are going regardless.
I feel however in the situation for fuel money, generally mates do things for each other but in turn they also chip in when not asked, As a driver I would not expect someone to chip in if I am making the trip but as a passenger I would feel chipping in should be done as you are all mates and its the right thing to do.The petty issue to me seems like a unspoken thing that people just know, your mates you help each other out when you can as a passenger or driver.
If you have a issue with it just ask for some petty money.

dhd

Downhill Direct
And then after a while everyone wonders why no one does shuttles any more..........

Don't be tight asses. Any decent person should at least offer to chip in. Petrol is too friggin expensive these days to just assume it's covered!

haltz

Likes Dirt
Shit yeah depends what kinda mates they are too I got driven to Wollongong today from the central coast I bought him some lunch then the fuel thing will get sorted out next time when I drive but if your always the driver then definitely throw it out there before hand. Another shuttle etiquette question comes to mind I drove us last weekend but got knocked out in my first run and couldnt ride anymore but I had no problem driving so the boys could get runs in, then today our driver had some bike issues that finished him up earlier than we planned he was happy to drive some runs but he'd already taken us all the way down there wed done fair few runs so I was a bit like its all good lets just head, what do all you guys do in that kind of situation?

indica

Serial flasher
Depending... $10 is the go. Used to do it a lot in Central Victoria and would get anything from $5 to $20 to nothing. Honestly though, the cost of 1/2 a tank of fuel was irrelevant to me.

dhd

Downhill Direct
Honestly though, the cost of 1/2 a tank of fuel was irrelevant to me.
Same here, but it's nice to know your mates have got your back and are doing the right thing. For example, my car costs $100 to fill these days and to someone with a mortgage, wife and kids etc $50 every other week and cleaning the car etc can be a real downer.

Genius Josh

Likes Dirt
I think it's only polite to offer. I have mates who have said its covered as a work expense and others gratefully accept. Why does anyone deserve a free ride? What makes you so entitled?

themunt

Likes Bikes
If you are heading out for a day of shuttles then you should be prepared to cover all the costs of doing so.
But how many shuttles can you do without others in the ute??
You need them, they need you... QUID PRO QUO..

Make it clear up front.. Or set a precedent.
If you need some extra cash then ask for it..

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
We alternate the shuttle car with a few friends, ie take in turns to use our cars, and theres no payment if it is someone else's turn to use their car for shuttling duties.

We also have an unwritten rule the the driver gets their lunch or dinner bought for them. Works out well, the petrol and wear and tear is spread across everyone.

But if i am shuttling with somone else I expect to pay, $10 minimum. I pay up front and if they say don't worry about it I insist they take it. It only adds to good will and your always welcome if there's a spare seat going.

Anyone who doesn't pay should not be going.

nikmcc

Likes Dirt
And then after a while everyone wonders why no one does shuttles any more..........

Don't be tight asses. Any decent person should at least offer to chip in. Petrol is too friggin expensive these days to just assume it's covered!
Well said!

We alternate the shuttle car with a few friends, ie take in turns to use our cars, and theres no payment if it is someone else's turn to use their car for shuttling duties.

We also have an unwritten rule the the driver gets their lunch or dinner bought for them. Works out well, the petrol and wear and tear is spread across everyone.

But if i am shuttling with somone else I expect to pay, $10 minimum. I pay up front and if they say don't worry about it I insist they take it. It only adds to good will and your always welcome if there's a spare seat going.

Anyone who doesn't pay should not be going.
Thats a good way of doing it. Shuttling with respect gains respect.

Do any of the people who are saying the driver should pay, own their own shuttle vehicle?
I dont think you can really comment on runnning costs untill you've owned a ute.

I have a 4wd Rodeo, and its costs a bomb for a day of shuttles. The wear and tear Im happy to cop because I enjoy getting out for shuttles and thats what I bought it for. But its really not too much to expect people to offer up some cash at the end of the day without being asked.

I also expect for myself to pay my share too when using my ute, just cause its my car dosen't mean I get a free day either.

If people dont cough up a few bucks, good chance they wont get shuttled very often in the future in my ute...

All the guys I ride with these days are good with money

Last edited:

Dobbo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What a gem of a Thread, and a wide range of opinions to go with the debate.

DHD has got the measure, there seems to be less and less people willing to shuttle and it does take a fair bit of trust to let others drive your car. Also with less vehicles the same people do it more often and the option of alternating isn't there. Shuttle vehicles are expensive to run, especially on off road tracks. The bikes also do damage getting them in and out, scratches from trees etc. I suppose it is all depreciation of the asset.

I think the wear and tear is part of the cost of DH riding, but I guess fuel is something everyone uses so the cost should be shared. I must admit, it does shit you sometimes when everyone has had a good day riding and then you realise that you will need to pay to refill your ute to get to work the next day.

I like the idea of $10 up front. It takes away the awkwardness, everyone knows the drill and is over and done with to leave everyone to have a good time.

dunndog

Eats Squid
You'd like to think there's enough respect and decency within your group to offer up their share of the costs for the day. I would never expect anyone to wear all the costs alone, why should they? If you don't have that basic level of common decency there's something wrong with you.
My Navara can use a tank of juice shuttling for a day, that's about $80. I just say at the start of the day that we'll see what the fuel consumptions like on the way home and figure out fuel costs, everyone's generally pretty good about it, no one expects a free ride at my expense.. If they do, I won't be rushing to invite them along again.