Sick of getting my legs scratched/chewed up when biking

betht

Cannon Fodder
Every time I go out riding I seem to come back with numerous scratches and chunks out of my legs that eventually turn into lovely scars- that look good on the tracks but not soo much when you want to wear that little pair of shorts out on a Friday night. Does anyone know of any tights etc that can be worn full length over the legs that dont get too hot when breaking up a sweat up the hills? DO skins work? SKU? normal cheap leggings? any advice is welcome. Cheers

Hi there, I have the same problem, mine are caused by my foot slipping on my pedals and it scratches up my legs.
A friendly guy at my local bike shop suggested I try the slip in pedals because I’m not keen on clip ins just yet, he said they are a good way to stop this from happening. Not sure if I would be keen on tights though, wouldn’t they get really hot?

:) Pikey

Amber

Likes Bikes
I use good 'ole Target leggins which cost me $18. They breathe pretty well and nice and comfortable. Having clips will certainly help slipping off of the pedals and they are certainly not as hard as you think!

mtbdh_girl

Likes Dirt
Probably not ideal, but I have a set of really thin neoprene shin guards which are great - i think there are a few companies that make similar ones. They wouldn't be great for really long rides, but I usually wear mine for 3-4hours XC rides with out any issue. The ones I have were made by Armourdillo, bit I think 661 also make some similar ones. They are mainly protection for the shin, but because the velcro wraps around back it covers most of your calf too.

laura_spark

Likes Dirt
i wear my skins every ride, they are designed to wick away the moisture (draw it away from the body). i have found them to be excellent and have quite a few pairs now.

foxcgirl

Likes Bikes
My left leg has copped an absolute beating and does not look very sexy when wearing a dress etc.
I guess 2 scars are my own fault for riding with flats with mates whilst drunk (kids - do not try that at home)..
But my most recent, and largest scar, was actually from my SHIN PADS rubbing on my skin. Did not realise until I got to the bottom of Coronet. NOT COOL! Has not healed up in the past 6 weeks. :(
However whilst riding my xc bike on a normal basis I do ride 'clipless' - so you won't get any pedal scratches, but if you stack you'll still get scratched from other things.
Skins are great. I love my skins. I do ride in them from time to time. But I worry more about a stick or rock ripping my skins up (they're not particularly cheap!).
I've stacked wearing leg warmers (which I was pretty much wearing for leg protection) I thought I was alright cos it didn't hurt, but afterwards I realised i'd still been scratched through the warmers and that also scared.
So I guess what I'm trying to say is, you can try different preventative measures - but you'll still fail! :p
I'm now more interested in finding remedies for scars and better skin care products.. :)

hey

ummm shinguards...duh. my girlfriend uses sixsixone shinguards and i steal them all the time cos ther so good. the thing with clip-ins is that if your pedaling in the pits or something and you have to brake hard you can't always get your foot out in time and you look like a loser on the ground. the more grippy and spickey your pedals are the less likely you'll fall out but it hurts a lot more when you do
cheers

_CODY_

Likes Dirt
how long have you used the clips ins for Amber? have you had any bad stacks? A friend of mine has, its taken her a long time to get used to them. I guess that has put me off.
I have moved over to clips not too long ago for DH. The only stack i have had was just falling over in a mates driveway:). I found them very easy to get used to and whe nyou get used to them they help your riding heaps. People say " awww clips suck, youll die when you crash..." when you stack your feet unclip anyway. If you are a fairly confident rider, have a go at clips.

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
Hi there, I have the same problem, mine are caused by my foot slipping on my pedals and it scratches up my legs.
A friendly guy at my local bike shop suggested I try the slip in pedals because I’m not keen on clip ins just yet, he said they are a good way to stop this from happening. Not sure if I would be keen on tights though, wouldn’t they get really hot?

:) Pikey
I would recommend that you don't get those pedals, that is, if they're the type I'm thinking of. That being the ones with straps which go around your shoes?

If they are then definitely try and steer clear. They are harder to get out of sometimes than clips as you have to pull your foot back instead of twist it sideways and slide it off. But that's just me. Personally I wouldn't.

This is my first post in the girls section..and I feel kinda weird haha, not sure why though. My first thought when I clicked the title and read it was "I love my scars, why don't you" but now I can see where you're coming from, ladies with legs like mine probably wouldn't be a turn on.
BTW do chicks really dig scars?

What about this guy? http://farkin.net/forums/showthread.php?t=134276&highlight=straitline

shazza of the pub

Likes Bikes
Does anyone have a solution for ankles. I just had to take two weeks off riding because I cut up my ankle so bad it needed stitches. Riding XC I wear clips and that has stopped my legs being so scratched but my ankles always seem to get nicked by passing branches and grass. :confused:

Anthony B

Likes Dirt
^^ we the people ankle guards

i use them on my bmx and mtb there ridiculously comfortable and ive had my share of stitches in the ankle & it sucks, or if you can track down a set of king kong (they went outta business) the cover more ankle :)

Fi

Chocolate Foot
I would recommend that you don't get those pedals, that is, if they're the type I'm thinking of. That being the ones with straps which go around your shoes?

If they are then definitely try and steer clear. They are harder to get out of sometimes than clips as you have to pull your foot back instead of twist it sideways and slide it off. But that's just me. Personally I wouldn't.
Yeah, I agree, another reason is that you have to concentrate way hard to get the pedal orientation correct to get your foot in and if you don't, then the cage hangs down and gets caught up on obstacles etc. Similarly, I frequently see pedals with the plastic 'test ride' platform still attached to one side. While this might help with confidence, again the rider has to concentrate too hard on which side of the pedal they want to select. I think that the attention given to getting the pedal orientation right is way more conducive to crashing than clipping in or clipping out.

Get a good pair of clipless pedals with a reasonable platform around the mechanism, which you can comfortably pedal without being clipped in (shoes with good grip will help, too), and you won't look back!

Otherwise, ride with flats and shinguards - anything else will tear if your pedals have pins - if you need to keep your legs unscarred. Thankfully neither my job nor lifestyle require this (it's too late, anyway)!

Cheers

Fi

MTB-ChiK

Likes Dirt
Does anyone have a solution for ankles. I just had to take two weeks off riding because I cut up my ankle so bad it needed stitches. Riding XC I wear clips and that has stopped my legs being so scratched but my ankles always seem to get nicked by passing branches and grass. :confused:
Hey shazza, I use 661 ankle biters. Very comfy to wear & excellent protection when you smack into things you don't feel it! They are designed to slip into your shoe (I put mine under the shoe liner so you don't lose grip) Very easy solution to prevent cut up ankles ;) I have a spare pair of size small ankle biters (fit shoe 6-7) They are brand new...if you are interested send me a PM!

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Echoing what others have posted re: SPD style pedals, my g/f changed from flats to SPD's. She was nervous for first few rides on bitumen, but got used to the 'float' and quickly developed good tecnique for clipping in/out. She now uses them off road, and is a convert because:

More power transfer when riding uphill ie. pull up as well as push forward/down. Part of this benefit is that she says she can select higher gears and build her leg strength.

She has riding specific shoes which she claims she finds way more comfortable, can care for/ clean more easily and protect her feet and toes

She has found that when things get sketchy, she can unclip very quickly and crash just the same as riding with 'normal' pedals:)

Cage style pedals are good for spin bikes, but a bit dangerous for on/off road imo.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
how long have you used the clips ins for Amber? have you had any bad stacks? A friend of mine has, its taken her a long time to get used to them. I guess that has put me off.
Hey best advice in regards to clips is to practise your ass off with them before you go out riding on them! My coach made me practise for two weeks first, just clipping in and out over and over (mostly while watching tv). Sounds monotonous but I'm eternally grateful for it, I've only ever crashed clipped in once. The trick is to make the clipping out movement not second nature but first. I even use the action when riding on flats now (9sub conciously).

Also another common problem is people running their pedals too tightly so they have to jump on them to get them in. Personally I think that's a bad call, having weak ankles myself but also if its that hard to get them in, how the hell are you gunna get out??? Anyway using them for a while teaches you to pedal straighter so the need for running them tight is unecessary

My pointers: persistance and practise.

steff1

Likes Bikes
Pedals

Hi all,
I'm a seriously beginner rider, so take all my advice with a grain of salt.
I changed over to Time Atacs about 2 months ago and was having absolutely no joy at all. I found that I had to turn my ankle a long way to get out of the pedal, and even though I could get out, it took so long that I was ont he ground anyhow.

I bought a pair of SPD pedals, and found them even worse - I couldn't even clip them in, let alone get them out!

Then... along comes Kerry from Phantom cycles (no, he's not paying me).

I was in there on the weekend, and mentioned how much I hated the pedals. 1 new pair of cleats for my SPDs later and I am a changed woman! :)

Before the new cleats, I'd probably average a 1 in 2 of falling off vs getting my foot out. with the new cleats, I had NO(!) pedal related stacks in 2 days of riding! (plenty of non pedal related stacks, but that's another story)

So, my tip is - SPDs not Times, and when you buy your pedals, get them to change you over to the blue cleats, not the silver!

Hope this helps
steff

steff