Silly Mistakes Others Can Learn From!

McSweeney

Likes Dirt
NEVER EVER Decide it's a cool idea to change your mate's forks over to his new ones the night before Illinbah. It rarely goes as planned.
To elaborate, NEVER EVER put forks on without the spacer or crown race or whatever, they feel fine, but when your forks move 1cm either way in your headset at 60km/h down the illinbah straight, he won't be having as much fun as you.

NEVER EVER use a drill with a home-made rounded allen key shaped like a star bolt thing, to take off rotors, it works, but fucked if they're going back on!

nickhagee

Likes Dirt
never ever ever come home plastered and decide its a good idea to service your loose bearing hubs... it always ends in tears...

dont work on bike with hangover... frustration leads to broken bike parts

dont use imperial sized tools on metric nuts or bolts and vice versa... also ends in tears and lots of trouble fixing things...

DONT RIDE DIRTJUMPS WITH A HANGOVER..... leads to broken forks and headset
dont get drunk:D

never ride your bike if something doesn't feel right... especially loose hubs

double check that rock that looks like you jump off on a new dh trail... it might be more vertical than it appears (ow my head)

MOXAB

Likes Dirt
Always check the your quick release levers are done up tightly, especially when your mates are pissed at you. Angry mates = undone levers and I didn't notice and tryed to ride away = over the bars = owwies:( (Thanks Max and Lenny....) not fun

Last edited:

$$Noble$$

Likes Dirt
when using lg 1 chain guide and saint cranks. put the chan ring in the chain guide first and the mount it to the cranks. use a bigger allen key to line up the bolts before you put them through.

Booost

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Use betadine or some other antiseptic ointment if you sustain any nasty cuts. Infected cuts suck.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
when using lg 1 chain guide and saint cranks. put the chan ring in the chain guide first and the mount it to the cranks. use a bigger allen key to line up the bolts before you put them through.
why? ive always put the chainring on first and then put the cranks on over the backplate without the top and bottom guides on and then put those on, its alot easier

Shredden

Knows his goats
Check if brakes are usa style when riding your mates giant with mega strong rim brakes.

I've still got spoke marks on my head:eek:

joelly

Likes Bikes
Dont jump straight in ans start ripping taking things apart when afterward you find out you dont know how to put it back together

hmm for example,when your front derailleur is #$%%$% and rubbing against your chain,dont take it apart in the middle of the bush,realise you cant put it back together,loose all the little parts,try and take your chain apart to remove the &^^%^& derailleur with house keys,:confused:

To TIGHTEN: Screw clockwise
To UNTIGHTEN: Scren counter-clockwise

Manitou forks are meant to have the crown on backwards

One of the pedals (someone fix this for me) screws a different way to the other to untighten/tighten.

DONT WD-40 your brake rotor/pads

The straps and adjustment go on the back of your Giro helmet.
and NEVER WD-40 ur chain, collects more dust and other stuff that isnt good

Nmag

Likes Dirt
-Don't ride with no shin guards if you ride with aggressive Funn platform pedals.
-Don't forget your clipped in if you put your Crank Bro Candy pedals on.
-If you don't like leaches don't stand around in bracken fern when it's warm if you haven't sprayed your shoes with serious amounts of insect repellent.

-|Sean|-

Likes Dirt
- Get that annoying rattle checked. Turns out it was a loose hub - I don't know how harmful that could've been, but it sure pissed me off while it was around.

Dandelion

Likes Dirt
NEVER check your chain tension on a fixie while riding, I haven't actually tried this, but it doesn't seem like a very good idea...

Last edited:

jailbait

Likes Bikes
Make sure your chain isn't too long, it can get caught in the spokes destroying your derailleur, if riding a fully with a lengthening rear end make sure it's not too tight.

BB thread is backward on the drive side.

Keep your spokes tensioned well otherwise your rim wont last.

Keep an eye on brake pad material if you don't want to replace your pads and rotors.

Keep cranks done up tight or the spline will die.

If your bottom bracket is creaking it probably just needs the threads greased.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
M

BB thread is backward on the drive side.

i know this, BUT it still led to the biggest fuck up i have ever done!!!

i bought a new set of cranks, the shop had just assembled the cranks for postage, BUT they had put the left cup on the right side, and the right cup on the left side (external BB)...
any way, when going to undo my BB, i purely just looked at my "new" bb, to see what way the thread went..

after 30 minutes of it not budging, i soaked it in wd40, over night, tried next day, still wouldnt budge, ended up rounding it...
I then was done to last resorts, thinking my BB was seized in there, i went at it with the grinder, griding of the face of the bb, worked well, once i took the face of the bb of, i was able to undo what was left with my fingers....

it was at this point, my dad picks up the cranks, and goes you realise you were looking at the non drive side, when you were working out the thread!!!

fuck i felt like a dick

Tizz--

Likes Dirt
Don't use a spoon in replacement for a tire lever. Firstly the spoon gets a bad case of bendage, and most likely it will puncture your tube.