Simple ways to improve core fitness for racing

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So track and cx season are coming up and I wouldnt mind giving it a bit more of a serious stab this year.

I'm 197cm and very lean.. usually floating around the low 80kg mark. I've been a bit slack recently on the bike (just rode 2000kms in asia, keen to let my ass recover). But I'm usually doing 250km on the roadie + 50km on the mtb each week at a high intensity. Endurance isn't an issue, neither is peak power. Where I struggle with racing is being able to fluctuate from high to very high intensity bursts continuously over 30-60 minute sessions (i.e. track and cx racing).

I figure putting a little mass on and improving my core strength will help me control my body rocking (an issue I have) and losing efficiency. And should also help sustained peak power efforts. Am I on the right track?

What are some simple exercises I can do from home in 20-30 minute sessions because I'm a lazy and easily bored sort of guy.. I'd rather be on my bike can going to the gym.

Or anything else I should do to help my racing this year.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
I think you may be conflating a few different issues.

Regarding your ability to go from high to very high and back again repeatedly, it could be a few things. It could be that you are attempting to race at an intensity that is just too high for your current fitness level, or it could be that you are lacking in "lactate- tolerance" type training. Are you doing structured intervals in your training? Anything fartlek style? Some powermeter data is very useful in determining this, and in setting your training intensities.

Unless you are rocking reeeeeeally badly, I doubt that it is causing such inefficiency that it is limiting your racing. If it is, and I'm not trying to be a smartass, have you tried to stop the rocking? It is highly likely that you have sufficient "core strength" to achieve stability, and (providing your bike setup is OK, not too high in the seat) some focus and attention on your form should be able to improve it. Start at a lower intensity, and then introduce it into higher and higher level intensity.

If you really do have very poor postural control, I would recommend getting a strength and conditioning coach to show you how to do some exercises such as deadlifting and pushups with reeeeeeeally good technique. That should help.

I wouldn't go chasing muscle bulk unless you want to change yourself into a pure sprinter.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I might well be conflating different issues. Thats why I asked... I'm pretty new to the whole structured training thing.

I guess the reason I've focused on core strength is because when I try to objectively look at my skill set.. its the weakest point. I'm not looking for bulk gainzzz or to turn myself into an out and out sprinter. I'm more chasing a way to improve my strength, performance and posture and balance my 'quiver' (if that makes sense). I'm good at climbing hills.. Holding onto that while improving sprinting is the goal.

I currently do structured interval training using a hrm. Power metre is on the to do list.. but the cost/benefit doesn't weigh up right now. Interval training on the bike is the most obvious place to make increases.. but I'm already doing this and it's not really a weak point. Hence looking at core strength.

I've always rocked and wobbled my head. Its something I heard mentioned in relation to core strength.. But you're probably right.. its not a huge issue.

scblack

Leucocholic
Have a read of some posts by MyWifesIrrational. He does not believe in "core strength" training at all really, and has loads of peer reviewed studies to back that up. He's a medical researcher, doctor or something.

Have a look there first. He's posted plenty on the subject.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
I might well be conflating different issues. Thats why I asked... I'm pretty new to the whole structured training thing.

I guess the reason I've focused on core strength is because when I try to objectively look at my skill set.. its the weakest point. I'm not looking for bulk gainzzz or to turn myself into an out and out sprinter. I'm more chasing a way to improve my strength, performance and posture and balance my 'quiver' (if that makes sense). I'm good at climbing hills.. Holding onto that while improving sprinting is the goal.

I currently do structured interval training using a hrm. Power metre is on the to do list.. but the cost/benefit doesn't weigh up right now. Interval training on the bike is the most obvious place to make increases.. but I'm already doing this and it's not really a weak point. Hence looking at core strength.

I've always rocked and wobbled my head. Its something I heard mentioned in relation to core strength.. But you're probably right.. its not a huge issue.
Cool.

Do you have a coach or are you self coached?

For improving your ability to attack and recover, you could consider something like over/under intervals, where you ride at just under threshold power for 5min, then over threshold for 60 seconds, then return back to just under threshold. You can play around heaps with the time variables.

And if you do want to add gym work, your basic lifts (deadlift, squat) are definitely the way to go rather trying to do core specific stuff.

but bear in mind, you will most probably get faster by adding more cycling than by adding gym work.

Minlak

custom titis
Box jumps ./end thread.....

Seriously swatch for the mywifeisirrational posts lot of good stuff there..

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cool.

For improving your ability to attack and recover, you could consider something like over/under intervals, where you ride at just under threshold power for 5min, then over threshold for 60 seconds, then return back to just under threshold. You can play around heaps with the time variables.

And if you do want to add gym work, your basic lifts (deadlift, squat) are definitely the way to go rather trying to do core specific stuff.

but bear in mind, you will most probably get faster by adding more cycling than by adding gym work.
I'm not pro enough, fast enough or rich enough for a coach. All self training.. More interesting than way too I think

I was trying to avoid adding gym work for exactly the reason you point out. The two hours of back and forth to the gym is much better spent on the bike. I was more chasing 30 mins of workout I can do at home in my spare time.

I've read a bit of mywifeisirationals stuff.. I'll keep trawling.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
i have been doing pilates for a few months now after a LOT of nagging from the mrs. while i still pretend I dont like it i will admit my flexibility, abb and back strength have improved a lot. the biggest impact for me has been the ability for me to have better technique/body position on the bike because of the new found flexibility/strength. e.g. can steer/maneuver with the hips better now!

MarioM

Likes Dirt
I only ride off road but what i have found working for me is high intensity over time in really rough technical single track has actually boosted my core fitness . In the XC races that i do my average speed has lifted significantly and i can sustain it over 3 or 7 hours at the moment . Hopefully if i stay injury free this year i can gain even more core strength .

Re rocking and wobbling your head. Agree with Pastavore. I would first make sure you have your bike setup correctly. Would then ride on a windtrainer doing low intensity / non resistance riding, focusing on you form/technique. Then slowly over time (day/weeks) increase the intensity/strength.

Calvin27

Eats Squid

You weren't asking me but I do some track coaching sessions and it's given a good boost to peak power and a little towards constant power thresholds. Mayb you or OP would find this useful.

Format is something like this:

- Warm up laps gradually building pace. Generally 20-20-10 format. 20 at slow to average pace on sprint line, 20 on ballustrade, 10 really quick laps on the sprint line. Pretty much leading guy is going 100%, the rest holding on for dear life.
- 10-15 Duckboard sprints. Idea is ride as slow as you can then 10-15 bursts of max power sprints for 10-20 seconds on the sprinters line (coach changes it up slightly each time). The almost standing start sprint pretty much makes or breaks people. It has borken me ocassionally and I have to skip a set just to recover.
- 10 or less blue line sprints. Rolling pace (not too slow as I found out, ouch) and then move down to sprinters line for max effort sprint. THe interval is a little longer than the duckboard because you have the gradient to build speed faster - about 3/4 lap then off and back to blue line.
- Races: One long (3-6 laps) and one short (2-3 laps).
- Wind down 40 laps all on sprinters line.

As I understand the more advanced sessions are similar but have more focus on tactics and advance skills, not so much different fitness drills. Hope this helps a bit.

Byke

Squid
I'm way out of my depth, but I've just read Bike Fit by Phil Burt, Physio at Team Sky and the British Cycling team, and in his opinion the current focus on core strength is pretty much a crock.

(Not offering any opinion on your circumstances, just found Burt's scathing assessment of many physiotherapists' focus on core strength interesting)