Single speed commuter build project

radrider

Cannon Fodder
I will correct myself later if I'm wrong but I think I'm running 53-18. It's a fairly comfortable ratio and I have a pretty spot-on tension. The tensioner is only picking up the smallest amount of slack.
i dunno how to work that out, but do you think it would be close to 42-16? thats what im runnning on my fixie, its a good gear choice, works well.

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Crunching numbers...

i dunno how to work that out, but do you think it would be close to 42-16? thats what im runnning on my fixie, its a good gear choice, works well.
I ran a quick calculator on Sheldon Brown:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

I used my bike set up as a standard for comparison. So most probably, there will be some variation in reality... but I came up with this:

My set-up: 53-18
Gear Inches: 77.4
Gain Ratios: 5.7
KPH @ 120 RPM: 44.5

Radrider's set-up: 42-16
Gear Inches: 69.0
Gain Ratios: 5.1
KPH @ 120 RPM: 39.6

So I'm no expert at this, but I'd deduct that you would have a slightly higher RPM/my gearing is slightly heavier. I'll let a ratio calculator expert/nerd swoop in now and tell us what all these numbers and terms mean, and what is actually relevant...

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Blowing more moneys on ebay! I ordered this as soon as I started the build in anticipation. Everybody always liked the babe stickers on the frame. It seemed like a nice piece of heritage to keep, but they were in terrible condition so I wasn't inclined to reuse them.
So I purchased a small selection so I could pick which ones I like the most, and decide on where it would be most appropriate to place!
They are all about six inches in height (maybe a bit bigger), UV protected so they won't fade, vinyl on a clear background and waterproof! Really good quality too.

Now all I need are some suggestions on which ones to use and where they should go!

Introducing the ladies:

Classic Blondie

Redhead

Sensual Blonde

Brunette

Attachments

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
Well your thread did inspire me and last week i stripped my commuter frame with the intention of polishing it......now i bought a DIY kit for polishing from bunnings but it doesnt seem very effective.....does anybody know if the blocks of polishing paste are supposed to be dampened before being applied to the polishing wheel or are they supposed to go on dry? As usual there were no instructions on the pack.

Dirt InsTiincTZz

Cannon Fodder
Truly an amzing project you've got there mate. I love the look of singlespeed/fixie bikes, so clean and no cluster of gears and what-not. Be a joy to ride when its finished.

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sticker on. Despite the suggestions which were seriously considered with a pannel of aesthetic advisers, of the selection I ended up with the same sticker in the same spot! Full circle hey. But I like the circularity of the situation! Brings a smile to my face.

And propper photos of the new calipers! So that will explain why there are so many of those.

And a few finished photos too! ...for the time being anyway untill I tweak/change a couple other things. So here she is, more or less complete.

Enjoy.

Attachments

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
can't believe I've just come across this.... AWESOME build thread man!!!!
when you started the build did you expect that you'd be spending in excess of $1,000 in parts? i find every single time i start a build the project budget always blows out and increases drastically hahaha.
i wish i had seen the stickers beforehand, i would have suggested the brunette, the green bikini looks weird on such a beautiful frame! HOT none the less :)

10 / 10 !

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Final bits on? Maybe. I think I need to draw the line here before I spend too much money.
I'm in real need for cashola at present so after all my work and money I have dumped into this project, I think the bike has to go up for sale. Dammit. Offers?

Anyway, pictures of the last parts. Shiny new red chainring bolts. Brand-X. Love them.
Here it is...
P9050766.JPG

Last edited:

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So much token in your builds, you work for JB dont you haha
I don't work for JB, we just get a load of their parts through the shop and I coincidentally have a Token fetish for some unknown reason!
But yes, my builds are swimming with JB.

I'm going to post this up FOR SALE soon, so offers please people!