Single speed

G

Hey all farkin people.

Im thinking about turning my xlr8 into singlespeed. single at the back. Its on a Dice twofour wheelset. I mainly use my bike for DJ and Street. this way i would eliminate chain suck and deraliour cost and damage. What would i need to do this. I E cog sizes ect

andrew

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2:1 ratio
rip apart 3 casettes and take the spacers from between the cogs, space out the hub with spacers on either side of the cog so the chain line is straight, then put on the lockring.
xlr8 = vert dropouts, no? either use a tensioner or phantom gear, dont use a derailieur

G

your DMR is singlespeed ya?

its that horizontal or vert dropouts?

andrew

Likes Bikes and Dirt
vertical...but it soon to have bmx chain bmx cog and halflink, i currently have a tensioner

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
"# of teeth in front divided by # of teeth in the back times wheel diameter. Your goal is supposed to be about 55 or something like that. For example 44/16 on a 20" = 55 and 36/13 on a 20" = 55.4 Thats where the formula comes from. "

andrew

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well, generally higher (harder) ratio for dj and lower for street, but whatever is good, just around 2:1

Tom

Likes Bikes
I am running a 32-15 setup on my bike with vertical dropouts and no tensioner. Just muck around with cog sizes, going even number of teeth-even, or even-odd and you should be able to find a setup where you dont have to run a tensioner.