Single speed

dhd

Downhill Direct
Hey Fuzzy,
If your XLR8 is a 14 inch you may find you have no probs setting it up SS. Ben Cory had his set up without a chain tensioner. When he put it together the chain stays were just the right length and tensioned the chain up nicely. I don't know what combination of chainrings he used and unfortunately I can't find out until he gets back from the States. Maybe just try what you've got and see how close it is!
Other option is, we just got a whole lot of Da Bomb single speed conversion stuff about three days ago including hub converters and chain tensioners which would do the job nicely.... I should have them up on th esite by the end of the week.
Hope it helps

http://www.dhdirect.com.au

Tom

Likes Bikes
The singlespeed convert is an old avanti hardtail.
My other bike is a Bighit pro.
My other bike is a ferrari.

Hi, If you are really trying to find the right sprockets etc to run go to www.mtbreview.com then go to message boards, then single speed. the guys there are really helpful and can point you towards a calculator to work out sprockets to chain stay length etc. I run 42/18 with a 24inch wheel on a norco 250 with trailblades etc, and 44/20 on a 26 inch cruiser.
Single speed is a bit slow for commuting bit its great for chain issues etc and so quiet.

Hi

42/18 runs really good with the 24 inch wheel, good all round for hills etc. you need to pick a gear that will allow you to spin ok without blowing your knees, epspecially if the seat is really low , and i run 180 mm cranks , cause it feels better when standing up.
Corey

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fuzzy wrote:
would this be any good... 16? and 36?

would be fine but for that sprocket you need bmx cranks.

You could just use a shimano dx sprcket which fits a cassette spline, they are available for around ten dollars
Corey[/quote]

andrew

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Xauterus said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fuzzy wrote:
would this be any good... 16? and 36?

would be fine but for that sprocket you need bmx cranks.

You could just use a shimano dx sprcket which fits a cassette spline, they are available for around ten dollars
Corey
[/quote]
sprocket being the thing with the kink guard mounted on it...you cant use 4 bolt cranks on it