skatepark etiquette

rozza

Likes Bikes
yeah well where I come from the local skate park is over run by dickheads on bmx bikes. I ride a mtb, showed up got abuse, bottles and shit hurrled at me before I even got off the footpath to go into the park, So I just left. There are usually never any skaters there ever. I try my hardest to stay out of the road of the majority of people but as we all know not all people want to do the same thing. You go there at night and random people just rock up and throw golf balls and glass bottles at you, it's not the best place to try ride a bike/skate or to be at, at all

Fusion

Likes Dirt
Ah mate, that's no good.

I go down to the Melbourne Riverside skate park veeery late at night, around 12ish. The lights are on, and no one is there (as the saying goes) so I can stuff around to my heart's content. Sometimes you get the random skater or drunk teens on the weekends, but generally it's a good place to go.

Matto

Likes Bikes
More park tips

I have another handy tip..
due to bladers being able to change direction so easily they therefore ride unnatural lines to the rest of us, makes judgeing there line sooooooooooooooooo hard(and frustrating). so to add to ty's (poached but f-ing great) advice, if there is a blader on the park.. let the fruity get his run out of the way and dont try to interpret his line like u can with skaters/bikes etc. the amount of times the people who ride the parks natural lines end up biffing into some blader whos gone from a funbox landing, then made a 90 degree turn, right into a path of oncoming bike traffic can be awfully messy... and as usual, it'll be YOUR fault old-mate fruity changed his direction and got hurt.

Tim08

Likes Bikes
SHAKA said:
i hate it when you see a whole gang of little kids on bikes getting in the way at skateparks, they give us a bad name. the worst part is their parents are normally there 2 encouraging them to get in the way then getting all pissed when sum1 tells them 2 move.

Correct and half the time they fall over in the middle of the park and start crying. i would drive anyone insane

Tim

Pete_10

Likes Bikes and Dirt
this article works both ways, they need to respect us also, not yell out stupid things like "its a SKATEpark, not a bike park".[/QUOTE]

yer i hate that i dont know why they think they own the place just because it has the word skate in it

that quote jigger is playin up

Last edited:

bmgal666

Likes Dirt
i hate skaters when i am board i get like 10 -20 people and go to the SKATEpark and ride the bikes. ive cleaned up so meny skaters its not funny. i ride a s#!ty mongoose so if a skater drops in on me i just keep going and try to hit me if i snap there board i just laugh and say "hey its not my falt you droped in on me" so i say skaters should go have a cry SHARE THE PARK!!!! :mad:

i recon they should build a park just for bikes and set up the fun boxes and other things perfict for bikes

Last edited:

roasted

Likes Bikes and Dirt
bmgal666 said:
i hate skaters when i am board i get like 10 -20 people and go to the SKATEpark and ride the bikes. ive cleaned up so meny skaters its not funny. i ride a s#!ty mongoose so if a skater drops in on me i just keep going and try to hit me if i snap there board i just laugh and say "hey its not my falt you droped in on me" so i say skaters should go have a cry SHARE THE PARK!!!! :mad:

i recon they should build a park just for bikes and set up the fun boxes and other things perfict for bikes

share the park?

dude, you are intruding upon something it is more likely that they have worked for. you havent.

snapping a board. bloody apologise.

"I just keep going and try to hit me" wtf? . stop mate, I know you can.

unless they drop in when your halfway up a quarter, you ARE able to stop. I ride brakeless and I can, so why cant you?

as for building a park for bikes, how about YOU go and lobby the council like they have? the point is they put in a shitload of hardwork to get skateparks, and you being a tard isnt going to make our situation any better.

Speedy

Likes Dirt
Yeah but like what has been said before they have worked for it they worked hard for our local park and they are protective. I sakte occasionaly and it would kill anyone who snapped my board its a dick of a thing to do I can understand why people get the shits with riders if their like you man. It doesnt help when you do this.

CanCer

Likes Dirt
luckily where i live most of the time the parks clear, but the other day i had a bad experience with about 5 little kids comming down there n just stuffing round
one of them was a "big man" and had a lighter
so they lit up a full tree branch in the bowl just cause they could
never mind that we were actually riding a line going straight through there...
went back the next day n they hadn't even cleaned up their shit, bottles n shit everywhere

which brings me to my point, don't put forigen materials on the park unless your the only one there n ur riding them n ur going to remove them
sounds harsh but it's like a minutes work, there's a bin right there for crying out loud....

youngone

Likes Dirt
It works both ways people.
You can’t go around saying “I hate Skaters, BMXers, Roller Bladers, Scooter riders etc.” and then expect them to like, respect and give room to you.
Some people do dumb things, slag out riders, throw stuff, get aggressive etc. joining in only makes it worst. Leave them alone and go back when they’ve gone home.

Adding to the:
DON'T STAND THERE DOING NOTHING: if you aren't riding go to the side and sit down somewhere out of the way. there's nothing more annoying that waiting to drop in while two people stand on the funbox talking. a skatepark is for riding and a ledge is not a bench, if you are not riding get out of the way.
DON’T LEAVE YOUR STUFF LYING ON THE FUNBOX, RAMP, ect. Just because you can’t or don’t want to ride it doesn’t mean others don’t so stash your stuff out of the way.

CanCer

Likes Dirt
I'm thinking about printing these off and posting them at my local skatepark, cause the other day in a space of an hour there was a number of people snaking, and we had all he skaters sitting in the midle of the runs we were doing, just cause they could, just trying block us off...

billyrockcruz

Likes Dirt
we had all he skaters sitting in the midle of the runs we were doing, just cause they could, just trying block us off...
You no if you ride a MTB at speed into people who do not want to move,,,, something happens, They either move or get hammered, even after this you end up punching on, the outcome can be, "It wont happen again".

Sometimes ya gotta be like a stubborn donkey!

Mate, when i hit up the skate park, "all bmxers and skaters move, why? Because i give them an option to move or be moved by my bike smashing into them.

What i do "not" do is have my own agenda as i understand that we all have to use the same resources and as such everyone genrally gets along and try's to keep out of other skate park users lines, thats how things work smoothly for the MTB's, the BMXers and the Inline and Skateboarders at our local skate park.

Sometimes you gotta clean house if non locals visit "our" skatepark and do not show respect for those who ride their everyday. As stated sometimes this means fighting, and sometimes this is the only thing which dickheads understand.

will...

Likes Bikes and Dirt
understand the lines: don't just show up and start riding, watch for a while untill you know where people are going. if you understand where people are going when they drop in then you will know if you are going to be in the way. sometimes people like to transfer from ramp to ramp and will have to bail if you drop into the ramp that they want to land on. try to start where everyone else starts, it's a lot easier for people to tell if you are going to take a run if you're not all the way on the other side of the park.
I know this is an old thread, but this is a big one. Yesterday a guy dropped in on me (he was dropping in at the spot that I've never seen anyone use, I was dropping in at the spot everyone does). My tooth went into my lip. Now I've got a massively fat lip that hurts.

Joy

Likes Dirt
i remember hearing this story a while ago about Chris Kovarik (sp?)
he went to this skate park on his mtb and copped all the usually flack from the skaters etc. his response was "get the fuck out of the way", then proceeded to lay down a massive backflip over a big transfer.

whether its true or not stands to question, although it would have been cool to see.