small berm building- pics and progress pg1

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What's the status of trees in the forest? Is any of the local hardwood able to be utilised?
No idea sorry. I am not sure I would be happy to knock down large or med sized trees for this purpose though. Wish this rain would fuck off so I can get some work done. There would be enough fallen timber around the place to do what we want. I don't have a 4x4 or a trailer to collect it though.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
The firetrail runs pretty close above the trail to that section a vehicle to get in there would be a real time saver!

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The firetrail runs pretty close above the trail to that section a vehicle to get in there would be a real time saver!
I can get close (5 min walk uphill) with my car. But I haven't spotted any fallen trees that would suit around the place.

Reckon the berm before the turn will have to do.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Early berm for the win. The erosion in the turn will be very gradual. Putting rocks in there will just divert.the water flow and spread the mess zone. The soil around the rocks will also erode and then the rocks will just dissapear. Or clag up with debris.

If the water way is an issue post berm cut down a few long straight gums and make a small basic bridge. Raise it about 1-2 feet and only put your posts in the dirt well back from the water way. One of my favourite local ride spots features plenty of bridges made this way. They work really well and are simple to make.

Use whole sections about the size.of your thigh for posts, and sink them deep. Then calf muscle sized trees for the lengths of the bridge. Then cut up a bunch of lengths the width you want it and split them down the centre. Lay them flat side dowwn on the lengths and nail gun them or screw them in place. Should last a long time.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If I make a bridge (which I will have to) I may as well re-make the original berm that spans the water course.

Random fact: around here, when building in national parks, they import all rocks (often by helicopter). There are regulations which prevent disturbing existing rocks in the bush... so much for the golden rule!
Is the trail in question in a National Park?

Yes, "wherever possible, avoid bringing in foreign material" is IMBA's golden rule.

Nonetheless, a valuable contribution to the dilemma Swaz is trying to resolve, bikesarefun. Well done.

Swaz, just saw your comment re the water flowing down-trail to the corner. Where necessary well placed nicks & grade reversals fore & aft of the corner will help alleviate the issue of water flowing down the trail into the corner- they also help create pump & flow to the trail while minimising erosion & allowing the trail to shed any "flowing" water.

Last edited:

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Found a ladder type bridge thing to use until I can get my hands on a chain saw and make a better one.

Because I was in a berm making mood i thought another one was in order to allow me to re open what I assume is the original trail. I know wood bracing isn't ideal but it was a massive struggle to haul two 80+ kg rocks to make the other berm I took the easy way. I can replace them pretty easily. They also need trimming and the berm needs more earth.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Bridge for the win! Can you get the berm a little steeper? No offence intended, but it looks quite mild/flat. This is something I have been encountering on a variety of trails I ride of late. Otherwise, good work! I shall ride that in the near future.

Imagine if that early berm ended in a kicker that threw you over the drain...

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Slightly off topic, buuuuuuut..............why does my stupid brain keep reading the title of this thread as "sperm building"??? :tsk:

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bridge for the win! Can you get the berm a little steeper? No offence intended, but it looks quite mild/flat. This is something I have been encountering on a variety of trails I ride of late. Otherwise, good work! I shall ride that in the near future.

Imagine if that early berm ended in a kicker that threw you over the drain...
No offense taken. So make the face steeper or the whole berm higher?

The kicker idea did occur to me whilst I was shifting that big arse rock into place.

See, now you got me thinking. I COULD build a culvert to span the gully and that could be built up on top to be kicker like. I have changed the trail route though so I am not sure you would want to be airborn over it and straight into a right hander.
Here is how it looks now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZko3Hq1tQM

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Make the face steeper, higher isn't important. A lot of berms are too flat, so they dont really hold the rider in a railed over position. That turn is in a part of the trail that you can really get some speed for. So if the berm is steeper you can attach coming out of the turn. I liketo make my berms like hitting a wall, keeping them low and pack the back out fat.

Nothing wrong with jumping into a turn...I call that a hip. Not sure it would suit the xc aspect of the trail though. Still...it would be very all mountain enduro slope style, which is the latest style of riding. People will need to get their hands on the new wheel standard to enjoy it - 16 inch front and 32 inch rear.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Progress pic

So things are a little different from how I thought I was going to. Thanks to the RB'er who has been helping out thus far. Great community.

The middle of the berm will be large rocks with the run in and out dirt. The tread of the berm will give n00bs and kids an easy route but penalise them some speed and fun.

Moving heavy rocks sucks!

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's def been a collaborative approach. Finding that big arse bit of pipe laying around made the decision to put in some decent drainage. Without it everything got really soaked through and wouldn't have lasted. There is HEAPS of work to do yet, but very stoked to have a plan that has the clubs approval. I am sure it wont please everyone.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Went out today and just collected rocks. Big, small, medium and XXL. Still have more to gather though. Especially the small and extra small ones i will need to lock in the tread rocks directly below the berm. I am now thinking that I want to make it so those who ride the berm get not only a fun ride but a time/speed bonus in a race. Also, I have found that making rocks into a path and lock together is a bit therapeutic. So the inside line of the turn will be rock garden like.

What sort of angles are people building their berm faces at? The photo makes it look less of an angle than it actually feels like to walk on or run around. I feel it could be steeper, especially seeing as I have the height with the rocks AND the trail will swing around to the right, not straight on like it used to.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That's looking pretty good. I like the massive rocks!

In answer to your question, I run my berms close the verticle. Reallly steep. I kike them to grab me when I rail into them

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's looking pretty good. I like the massive rocks!

In answer to your question, I run my berms close the verticle. Reallly steep. I kike them to grab me when I rail into them
When I was out there eyeballing it I did think "narr, pink poodle would want it steeper"