Small bump, do I need a new skid lid? So which stackhats keep a huge bonse coolest?

danncam

Likes Dirt
So managed to finally damage myself mountain biking, after 20 years.
Snapped my L collar bone plus a few scrapes and bruises going down cressy at the youies.
I told the ED doctors I had not bumped my head as far as I knew.
Looking at my helmet now I must have. It's some pretty small dings though.
Standard is replace after any hit to a helmet.
When you don't know you have hit your head, but their is some small evidence, does that mean new helmet time?

Attachments

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The good news out of this crash is that you get to go shopping! For a new helmet...definitely throw that one into retirement and get a fresh lid man. In a crash big enough to blow the rest of you up like that, you don't really know what happens to all your bits. They just rag doll around and bash into stuff. At least that's how it usually happens for me...apparently I look reasonably funny when I am crashing, everybody laughs so hard.

If you aren't too keen on throwing an expensive helmet out on a whim you can perform an easy home test on it that is guaranteed to leave no question about the helmets condition. Put the helmet under any wheel of your car and drive over it. If the helmet is still in a recognisable form repeat this action with a different wheel. Keep going until it is no longer a helmet. For me the test is a bit different as I don't drive a car. I use an axe or machete and one time a hammer...if it penetrates the helmet it's time for a new one. Again repeat the strikes until you really get in there...it's the only way to know the test has worked.

danncam

Likes Dirt
Noice quality control mechanism there, thanks.
I kinda know I need to replace the helmet now, my tight arse side can just sit to one side for once I suppose

bear the bear

Is a real bear
The question I alway ask and pose to the wife when I buy a new helmet (either through crash damage or age) is how much is your head worth???
I know mines priceless and I will pay for a new helmet every time when in doubt

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
You can pick up cheapies from Kmart for $20. Or Pushys often have older models for $50-80.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Geez, if I replaced my helmet every time I crashed, I’ve have sell off one of the kids.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Geez, I've liked a lot of the comments here, but I'd still buy a new helmet.

danncam

Likes Dirt
Thanks for all the encouragement to replace my helmet.
I've usually gone with a very XC helmet for the light weight. I have a big head and come summer always feel overheated on exposed climbs.
I've been looking at reviews of more trail type helmets, but they are usually overseas sites.
Any real Australian feedback on helmets that do the best to keep your head cool?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I have a Bell Super 3R (and a big head), and found it flows air pretty well. I use it with the chin bar on but don't really notice it's there except when I go to sip from the hydration pack. Has enough vents that you don't steam up on climbs either, still a bit uncomfortable on the really hot days but I can't think of a helmet (worth wearing) that wouldn't be.